[Burichan]  [Futaba]  [Nitronet]  [nitroib4f]  -  [WT]  [Home] [Manage]
We're back!

[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [First 100 posts]
Posting mode: Reply
Post a Reply
Audio 12_-_The_Grand_Duchy_of_Jeuno.mp3 - (3.75MB , 12 - The Grand Duchy of Jeuno.mp3 )
11548 No. 11548 edit
The day winds down, the scattered party members eventually finish their business at various locales and make their way back to the Helm and Cloak for a good night's sleep (provided they aren't tormented by nightmares). Early the next morning, as those who have woken up are finishing their morning meal or other business, a messenger from the palace arrives at the inn with summons for the five.
Expand all images
>> No. 11551 edit
File 129757250051.png - (58.56KB , 330x443 , kan_fumana1.png )
11551
After a nice chat in the pub, Sureiya will retire to the inn. Exhausted from a long travel, the ranger will have whatever the inn calls a dinner, and relax for a while in his room.
"That Folka was a cool guy, I hope he does well whenever he is. I think the Duke mentioned something about proving his innocence, but I wonder what the hell that had to do with us."

Once it feels late enough, the ranger will place all his belongings inside his bag of holding, and hide it somewhere inside of the room. Then he will get some sleep on his study bed.

>> No. 11552 edit
Once he's had his share of drinks, Torinn heads back to the inn and hits the bed hard. With how exhausted he is, it takes him very little time to fall asleep.
>> No. 11553 edit
File 136110338089.jpg - (52.61KB , 467x350 , 131406438872.jpg )
11553
Since Samel has no place to sleep, the duke reserved a room at the inn for him. After the discussion, he explored the city before finally going to the inn. He slept there for the rest of the night.
>> No. 11554 edit
Sariel, having retreated to the inn eventually as well, partakes in writing a letter home about her discussion with Ilar.
>> No. 11555 edit
Briefly venturing into town to procure new equipment, Myn returns to his lengthy inn relaxation.

Upgrade Darkspiral Rod to +2 and procure Acrobat Boots.
>> No. 11556 edit
File 129490478099.png - (257.40KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p5.png )
11556
Thankfully, the adventurers have a peaceful night's sleep (or trance as the case may be) at the inn. Sariel is up late writing her letter, but it hardly affects her since trancing does not require as much spare time as sleep. Early in the morning, Myn manages to do some quick shopping and return to the inn before the messenger arrives. The messenger asks Torinn to round up the party so they can visit the ducal palace in about one hour's time, for briefing on their next assignment.

The reagents required for upgrading the darkspiral rod from +1 to +2 cost 3696 gp (and the enchanting process will need to be done by Sariel or another ritual caster with Enchant Magical Item). Myn manages to find a pair of acrobat boots on sale for 552 gp.
>> No. 11559 edit
Torinn is roused from a series of half-remembered dreams. He's only awoken when the messenger knocks on his door and rouses him from his fitful resting. He vaguely remembered something about his god telling him... something? And just like that, it's gone.

No point dwelling on that, he decides. He'll figure it out later; right now he has to bring everybody around for the mission. He knocks on the doors of, in order, Sureiya, Sariel, Myn, and Samel, telling each in turn,
"Rise and shine, everybody. It's time to go save the world again."
>> No. 11561 edit
Sureiya wakes up and follow Torinn.
>> No. 11563 edit
File 13614068874.png - (208.25KB , 474x455 , mion73.png )
11563
Samel wakes up as well, put his cloak on, and follow torinn and Sureiya without being seen until the rest of the group arrives.
>> No. 11564 edit
>>11563
stealth roll 1d20+3: 12 [1d20=9] http://orokos.com/roll/94388
>> No. 11566 edit
File 129620679514.png - (13.95KB , 217x157 , kanonheh.png )
11566
Interested in listening to the Duke's words, Sureiya follows Torinn's order and walk along the rest to the Palace. Apparently, Samel was trying walk through a different route while staying hidden, but his attempt is no more than child's play to his well trained senses.
>> No. 11567 edit
File 129909998322.png - (255.05KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p3.png )
11567
Torinn is only able to round up Sureiya and Samel, the other two adventurers seem noticeably absent or are sleeping in. The messenger informs the dragonborn that if they need more time to tend to their needs that's fine, as you won't be leaving immediately, the duke merely wants to hear from you directly and inform you of the details of your next mission.
>> No. 11568 edit
>>11567
Torinn directs those with him to follow him to the ducal palace.
>> No. 11570 edit
Audio Final_Fantasy_09_0215_-_Kuja's_Theme.mp3 - (3.33MB , Final Fantasy 09 0215 - Kuja\'s Theme.mp3 )
11570
The nondescript messenger leads Torinn, Samel, and Sureiya to the ducal palace. They don't even have a chance to sit down before they are called into the audience chamber by Letharst. The duke sits on his throne at the head of the chamber, and a handful of ducal guards flank him, with Letharst standing behind the three adventurers as they enter the opulently decorated chamber. The duke was leaning to the side, resting his head on one hand as you enter, and he gives you a lazy wave as you approach the throne.

"You have returned," Prestor announces as he nods with an approving look. "It is good to know that such capable adventurers have the good nature to aid our fair city in these times of darkness." With this, he stands, seeming to suddenly fill with vim and vigor as he addresses you with sweeping and dramatic gestures. "I've heard there were more complications on your underwater voyage. Please, do tell."
>> No. 11573 edit
File 129788612424.png - (38.88KB , 208x207 , bobblehead.png )
11573
>>11570
At the duke's insistence, Torinn relates what happened during their journey. About the underwater city, about the illithids, about the eladrin, about the ghost, about the library (he lingers on this point with some sourness), about Savenoul and the experiments carried out on him, about Hemah the Dreamer, about the abomination they fought, and about how the whole thing came down to the wire. "It was a hard fight," he finished, "But we perservered and were victorious in the end. After that, though, the whole place started flooding and we had to leave immediately."
>> No. 11574 edit
File 130237934066.jpg - (46.60KB , 229x266 , prestor.jpg )
11574
The duke absorbs the tale with a thoughful face, and slowly reclines back in his throne. "It would seem that trouble is starting to associate itself with the leylines--particularly the focal points that Elayne selected for the ritual casting. This suggests to me that perhaps these points are where one can access the leyline's power most directly... worthwhile knowledge. It'd be safe to assume there may be something waiting for you at the next leyline as well, and if the Fell King can communicate through the leylines, well, he may have already got to whatever is there. It is best that you are prepared for such an event."

He gives a lazy, off-hand gesture, and continues on, "I'm expecting the five trained griffons we have procured from Waterdeep to arrive sometime this afternoon. When you are ready, they will bear you towards the final focal point on the intersecting leylines. Reports from my contacts in Luruar is that diplomacy has succeeded in stalling official talks of war, but there is increased activity in the far reaches of Many-Arrows. Unfortunately, we do not have direct diplomatic contact with the orc kingdom, so it is impossible to know how things are unfolding on their end. Haste would be prudent, as the Fell King could escalate the situation at any time. If reports of orcish raids reach the ears of those in Luruar, it is unlikely the leaders will be able to prevent open hostility."
>> No. 11575 edit
File 13126560174.png - (165.72KB , 438x570 , sparklyhearts.png )
11575
>>11574
"We won't let it come to war. The Fell King will fall before then, we will make sure of it." A thought comes to Torinn, and he voices it with some concern. "It occurs to me that all the guardians of the leylines so far have had some sort of elemental affinity. Sankis controlled fire, and Hemah controlled water. What do you suppose the next guardian of the leyline will have control of?"
>> No. 11576 edit
File 130222228694.jpg - (230.19KB , 1472x642 , prestor2.jpg )
11576
The duke gives a disinterested look as he gestures, saying, "An odd observation. However, not unexpected, as the leylines appear to be connected to the Elemental Chaos, which is what remains of the ancient elemental planes that existed in the pre-Spellplague era. The plane of air in particular seems appropriate, given its location. Elemental denizens of that plane were known to have power over wind, lightning, and thunder."
>> No. 11578 edit
>>11576
"Whatever they can do, we'll be ready for them."
>> No. 11579 edit
Once the dragonborn ends his explanation, Sureiya questions as well.
"I got a question about that griffon nonsense. How long is this travel supposed to be?"
>> No. 11580 edit
File 136185045085.png - (83.71KB , 150x444 , 150px-Kam\'lanaut.png )
11580
"Ah, yes. That is the unfortunate part. Even at the top speed of the griffons, it will take you nearly two tendays to reach the distant Plaguewrought Lands," Prestor responds steadily. "And another two weeks to return."
>> No. 11581 edit
File 136187890570.png - (183.89KB , 474x455 , mion158.png )
11581
"two... two rides!" Samel Gurns.

"Are we supposed to feed them? Pardon me my duke. This is the first time I will be part of something so... interesting..."
>> No. 11582 edit
File 129953423667.jpg - (62.16KB , 197x207 , SHOCK.jpg )
11582
"Two tendays?" Torinn parrots. A lot could happen in two weeks. Hopefully that would be enough time for the P.I. to find something and send word.
>> No. 11583 edit
File 130222228694.jpg - (230.19KB , 1472x642 , prestor2.jpg )
11583
"We will provide you with sufficient supplies for the journey, both for yourselves and your griffons," the duke replies lazily, waving his hand as if to brush away the party's concerns. "I know it is a long journey, but it is the ideal point at which to perform the ritual. I merely hope that war can be prevented for that long."
>> No. 11584 edit
File 130568883698.png - (85.87KB , 291x478 , kan_fumana1.png )
11584
Shocked by the Duke's reply, the ranger adds
"Hmm, I would like to see the travel route plan then. There are some dangerous places out there in which I would rather not sleep in."
>> No. 11585 edit
File 130237934066.jpg - (46.60KB , 229x266 , prestor.jpg )
11585
"I believe captain Highwind has the route planned and will relay it to you upon delivery of the griffons, which he is overseeing," the grand duke explains.
>> No. 11589 edit
File 129611866875.png - (84.80KB , 291x478 , kan_nayamua.png )
11589
"Alright, I'll have to give it a check once he arrives. Is there anything else we should know?"
>> No. 11590 edit
File 136213361966.png - (635.81KB , 800x539 , prestor3.png )
11590
"Just be careful, my friends. I'll be hoping to see you again as soon as you return, for preparations to locate the Fell King and settle things," the duke says simply.
>> No. 11592 edit
File 13621493472.png - (235.79KB , 474x455 , mion186.png )
11592
>>11590
Samel smiles at those words.
"As long as you don't forget my reward, my duke, there is no need to worry about our safety."

Samel then bows, and add
" Well then, if we are going to ride for 20 days, I need an appropriate study plan. If you excuse me..."
He leaves
>> No. 11597 edit
File 136234696389.gif - (11.36KB , 115x218 , MionismywaifuB55bc1f84c8c358f323104d0ff48af0ad.gif )
11597
>>11592

Samel heads to a library and asks about any book/information relatives to the plaguewrought lands west of Tymanther.

He then goes to the griffon-mounted knights of Waterdeep and asks for advices about the griffons.

Finally, he asks around if anyone sells the ritual "Speak with Dead", attempts to find it and buy it if he can.

>> No. 11600 edit
>>11590
"Don't worry, we'll be back. Count on it."

With that said, Torinn heads back to the inn to wake the others.
>> No. 11602 edit
File 129490478099.png - (257.40KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p5.png )
11602
Samel isn't able to find much information on the Plaguewrought Lands or the particular earthmote, though there are some brief mentiond earthmotes in vague terms: floating isles held aloft by magic that were created in the Spellplague. There seems to be no consistent geography to them, and each one that has ever been explored has varied widely--many are inhabited, some are not.

On the griffon cavalry of Waterdeep Samel is able to scrounge up more information, but isn't able to read very much because of time constraints. He does learn that the griffons were well-trained and fiercely loyal, brave in combat and nearly tireless in travel. The griffons were said to be able to fly faster than any sailing ship, should the wind favor them, and often assisted their riders in battle.

The speak with dead ritual, Samel is able to locate for 380gp.

Torinn and Sureiya head back to the inn and wait for the others to finisher their tasks and get ready to head out.
>> No. 11611 edit
A bit anxious of the long travel, the ranger will go out to shop some stuff in the meantime.
Sureiya will look for and buy two journeybreads, two extra waterskins, a miner's helmet and something to help him to gather food before camping.

Pay for the items. Also, nobody knew (not even Sureiya), but his clothes are actually a Gray Rain Clock, so I will also pay for that now.
>> No. 11614 edit
Audio 11-_The_Ruler_of_the_Skies.mp3 - (2.10MB , 11- The Ruler of the Skies.mp3 )
11614
About the time the five adventurers finish their preparations and gather together, the messenger from the palace returns and informs them that the griffons will be arriving momentarily at the docks. Once they complete their final arrangements, they head to the docks.

The scene at the docks seems to be business as usual, though slightly less populated. In the distance you see Sid, kneeling atop his underwater transport with a metal panel open, fiddling with the gears and workings inside. His workclothes are stained with grease, but he notices your arrival and waves. Docked nearby is a larger merchant ship, and five griffons look like they've just been unloaded. The beasts are much as you might imagine them--the head, wings, and foreclaws of an eagle with the body and backlegs of a lion. They appear large and muscular, with yellow beaks, beady black eyes, white feathers, and brown fur. There are runed bridles and saddles on them that clearly look magical, and saddlebags that appear to be stuffed with supplies.

The griffons look calm and undisturbed, despite the gawking they provoke from onlookers. A human woman and a half-orc man appear to be tending to them, but more importantly than that, there is a familiar man in showy red-and-gold robes examining the griffons, apparently lost in thought. His blond hair looks a bit unkempt, as if he's had a few sleepless nights as of late.
>> No. 11616 edit
File 129757250051.png - (58.56KB , 330x443 , kan_fumana1.png )
11616
Sureiya walks and attempts to talk with the man of the red robes.
"So, will these Griffons do the job? I'm not very trilled with the idea of a long air travel, but it seems to be the only choice."
>> No. 11617 edit
File 130141783628.jpg - (12.74KB , 322x362 , valanor.jpg )
11617
The human robed man turns to face Sureiya, and gives him an unreadable smile. "Ah, hello! It has been some time, has it not?" He turns back to face the griffons, and nods approvingly, saying, "Surely these are sturdy companions who can bear you safely a great distance. Though I am to understand you have quite the journey ahead, is that right? I admit, I am sketchy on the specifics."
>> No. 11618 edit
File 136256290966.jpg - (93.01KB , 555x700 , MionismywaifuBbac0834e21b6cb133ae6cb06bb51f033.jpg )
11618
>>11614
Once Samel arrives with the others, he realises that the group is not complete by the number of griffons. He looks around and finds Myn and Sariel, then he goes to them for small talk.

He gives them a pleasant smile.
"Some says that griffons can fly faster than any sailing ship, I guess that we will find out.

My name is Samel, I will be joining your group for this mission."He bows
"I will put my life into your hands, and will protect yours with the magic of my lord."
>> No. 11619 edit
File 130017450663.png - (58.64KB , 330x443 , kan_defa114.png )
11619
"Yeah, well, there are some details I have to check up, but seeing I managed to find you here, I might use this opportunity as well. Would ya mind to talk for a bit?"
>> No. 11621 edit
Sariel gives Samel a quick look, then stares past him and towards the Gryphons.

"A long trip? I would rather not soar free of gravity for too long," she scoffs. Sariel eyes Sureiya. "Nice cloak."
>> No. 11622 edit
File 129490478099.png - (257.40KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p5.png )
11622
"Well, perhaps I can be of some help then. But excuse me one moment," Valanor replies to Sariel first, then faces Sureiya, who appears to be attempting to confront the sorcerer. "Of course, I'd be happy to discuss matters with you."

From Myn's shoulder, his imp eyes the human in the red-and-gold robes suspiciously. "That guy, he creeps me the hells out," it mutters in the secret language only the imp and Myn understand.
>> No. 11623 edit
File 129920716263.png - (21.13KB , 200x200 , Harry Potter studying for his OWLs.png )
11623
Torinn takes everything in stride; he has ways to keep himself busy while flying. "Not afraid of heights, are you?"
>> No. 11624 edit
File 130203634066.png - (59.29KB , 330x443 , kan_defa2.png )
11624
"Nice? I have been wearing the same thing for a long time" Sureiya replies.
After that, the ranger walks a short distance away from the party with Valanor, and once he's sure his conversation will be private enough, Sureiya changes his tone a bit and comments.


"Well, from the looks it seems you have be working day and night on this mess. Have you found something about the Fell King we should know about?"
>> No. 11625 edit
Sariel shakes her head dismissively when Valanor decides to address Sureiya, and instead goes to examine the gryphons.
>> No. 11626 edit
>>11625
She also deigns not to acknowledge Torinn in any way, shape or form. Frankly, the paladin's irreverent attitude is starting to work on her nerves.

Even a half-orc can be more appreciative of her, and considering they're brutish, barbaric creatures sprung off from what is likely a history of rape and plunder, that's saying something.

Briefly, Sariel considers whether it might be that Torinn is actually a kobold dressing as a dragonborn. He certainly has the personality for it.

>> No. 11627 edit
File 129910793379.png - (253.80KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p2.png )
11627
Valanor walks off with Sureiya, and speaks in a lower voice, "There is something you should know, yes. I believe miss Cragmaul is alive."
>> No. 11630 edit
File 129607782146.png - (59.23KB , 330x443 , kan_komarua1.png )
11630
"Cragmaul? That's great!" says Sureiya, still trying to keep his voice low.
"There is any plan already to go and for her?"
>> No. 11631 edit
File 129490478099.png - (257.40KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p5.png )
11631
"I don't know where she is, exactly, right now, is the problem," Valanor says quietly, flipping his hair. "I saw the shadar-kai take her prisoner, which would be odd if they planned to merely kill her, but I wasn't able to keep following them--I had to make it back before the portal closed completely. Once back, I moved as quickly as I could, but... anyways, they must be holding her somewhere in the Shadowfell." He nods, looking satisfied, then faces Sureiya directly and says, "Have you spoken to Thelkra?"
>> No. 11632 edit
File 129757250051.png - (58.56KB , 330x443 , kan_fumana1.png )
11632
"Ugh, this guy is rather perceptive ,he must be a dragon."
"Yeah, I had a talk with her yesterday, and among other things, she told me about her spellscar.
She also seemed to be rather worried about Cragmaul, did you not tell her that she's alive?"
>> No. 11633 edit
File 129910793379.png - (253.80KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p2.png )
11633
"I tried to get in touch with her this morning, but she wasn't in her quarters, so I left her a letter," Valanor replies, still looking directly at Sureiya. "I would like to talk things over with her, but, I must depart again shortly, and I can't seem to track her down at the moment... she seems to have taken a liking to your group, so I thought maybe I could make it up to her by helping you out. Hopefully things will settle down shortly and I'll be able to return, but for now, I think it's best if I kept a low profile in Baldur's Gate."

Meanwhile, while Valanor talks things over with Sureiya, the rest of the group is approached by Sid. "Hello hello!" the gnome calls out, waving a greasy, glove-covered hand. "About to head out, are you?"
>> No. 11634 edit
File 129607782146.png - (59.23KB , 330x443 , kan_komarua1.png )
11634
"A low profile? ...Do you think you have been targeted by someone?" the ranger questions.
>> No. 11636 edit
File 130101422990.png - (318.54KB , 486x800 , 11125426_p1.png )
11636
"Let's just say there are certain attentions that would hinder my long-term goals," Valanor replies enigmatically, yet easily.
>> No. 11637 edit
"Oh no," Sariel responds to Sid. "We were appreciating the griffins for a moment, but changed our mind. The Warlock and I," she gestures to Myn, "have reached an understanding and I will sever his ties to his foul patron imminently, whereas this," she gestures to Samel, "has offered to single-handedly bring down the Fell King.

"In response, Kobold boy here," she gestures to Torinn, "has decided to take up a life as librarian at Baldur's Gate. We were just saying our goodbyes."
>> No. 11639 edit
File 130466399513.jpg - (17.31KB , 167x225 , sid.jpg )
11639
Sid appears a bit dumbfounded by Sariel's response, and stands there, quiet and mouth agape. Exasperated, he turns his gaze from one adventurer to the next.
>> No. 11641 edit
File 136270340013.png - (7.24KB , 49x82 , Viewing Audience.png )
11641
>>11639
Torinn whispers to Sid, "I think she's being sarcastic. It's her time of the month after all, tends to make her snarky.
>> No. 11642 edit
File 130023680217.png - (254.91KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p4.png )
11642
"Erm, well, i-if you say so," Sid manages to stammer as a reply. He holds up another funny-looking handhold device and says, "A-anyways, I've got this here for you guys. A Modified Leyline-Tracer 3k, designed for long-range tracking! Should keep you headed the right direction when you're flying, it's attuned specifically to your destination...!"
>> No. 11643 edit
File 130248690692.png - (56.22KB , 330x443 , kan_nayamua74.png )
11643
"Asking you about these goals would probably get me anywhere. Well, if you are in our side then I guess it doesn't matter.
So, I'm gonna check some details about the travel, I think Sariel wanted to have some words with you as well." says Sureiya, returning to inspect the Griffons again.

"Thanks Sid, that should really come in handy to avoid getting lost. By any chance do you know where can I find captain Highwind?"
>> No. 11644 edit
Boring of the explanation, Myn directs a smile towards the new minion, speaking to him quietly aside.

"Samel, was it? I will welcome your support from here onwards."
>> No. 11646 edit
File 130141783628.jpg - (12.74KB , 322x362 , valanor.jpg )
11646
Valanor smiles and bows to Sureiya, then takes a few steps towards the rest of the group to make sure he can face them all, and says, "Might I inquire as to your destination? I may be able to assist in some fashion."
>> No. 11647 edit
Audio 15_-_Anxiety.mp3 - (4.46MB , 15 - Anxiety.mp3 )
11647
"The captain? He should be around here somewhere..." Sid looks around, then nods to the nearby merchant ship, "Maybe he's bringing something in from there!"
>> No. 11648 edit
File 130026940684.png - (84.84KB , 291x478 , ka2_nayamua43.png )
11648
"Alright I'll go check over there."
Then, making a pause, he replies to Valanor as well.
"Not very sure, but it seems we are going on a hell of a journey to the Plaguewrought Lands.
Torinn, could you fill him of the rest?" says the orc just before going to the ship.
>> No. 11649 edit
File 129661381061.png - (100.28KB , 319x318 , doh.png )
11649
Torinn gives Sid a friendly nod and trades out the old device for the new one. He smiles, saying, "You never cease to amaze, Sid." When he gets put in the spotlight, Torinn says, "Well, it's as Sureiya says. We're going to fly to the Plaguewrought Lands. It's going to take about two weeks per trip, though. They'll have plenty of time to prepare for our arrival, and things could escalate in our absence." He whispers conspiratorily, "Call it a hunch, but I'm certain something big will go down; Four weeks is a long time. You don't have a way to make travel go faster, do you?"
>> No. 11650 edit
File 136309594539.png - (135.95KB , 474x455 , mion171.png )
11650
>>11644
Samel raises his head and looks at Myn. He thinks
"Why do I have to be polite all this time, it's obvious that no one here understands the real meaning of my sentences. Alright let's get done with it."


"Thank you kind sir. Yes, my name is Samel."
He looks around and says
"I would ask for your name, but it seems that everyone is having a discussion over there. You should go check the details with the others. We can continue this conversation later as we will have a lot of time during the voyage."
He bows once again and finds a spot where he can hear everyone and sits there for a while. He thinks "That should do it."
>> No. 11651 edit
File 130508734891.jpg - (136.27KB , 491x480 , 11125426_p0.jpg )
11651
Sureiya catches captain Highwind as he is coming up from below deck, carrying a decent-sized sack at his side. He nods to the half-orc, with a "Good day."

Valanor opens his arms as he replies to Torinn, saying, "Actually, yes. I may be able to help you there. As you are no doubt aware, I am capable of quite a few feats of sorcerous magic." With this, he kneels down, pulls out a piece of chalk, and begins to sketch a large circle on the surface of the dock beneath his feet. "In addition, I have traveled this world a great deal in my various searches. One thing I have been very careful to make note of since the Spellplague is the presence of teleportation circles. The notorious city of Ormpetarr has one such circle, held by a secretive cabal of mages that shelters pilgrims journeying to the Plaguewrought Lands. If you wish, I can create a linked portal to that destination. You and your griffons should be able to pass through, and it would cut down on your travel time considerably. It wouldn't do anything for your return trip, of course, since the portal would last less then a minute."

The linked portal ritual is a common and well-known ritual, though most of you know that the majority of permanent teleportation circles were destroyed or otherwise rendered inoperative by the Spellplague. Teleportation magic without the use of these portals is all but impossible.
A history or streetwise check may give you more information on Ormpetarr and the nearby Plaguewrought Lands.

>> No. 11652 edit
>>11651
streetwise on Ormpetarr http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3968916/ (24) and Plaguewrought Lands
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3968918/ (22)

>> No. 11653 edit
File 129910793379.png - (253.80KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p2.png )
11653
Streetwise DC 10: The Vilhon Wilds is one of the last great frontiers of Faerûn. The ruins here attract attention, but the risks are great. Only the hardiest explorers who venture in make it back. The richest sites lie within or along the edge of the Plaguewrought Lands where the Blue Fire is still active. The Order of the Blue Fire, a benevolent group of spellscared who help others and study the effects of the Spellplague, maintain a settlement along the northern edge of these lands called Ormpetarr.

History DC 10: Since the devastation of the Spellplague, civilization has been slow to return to the region. It quickly earned a reputation for being wild and lawless, which has become self-fulfilling. Ormpetarr, the city of the Scar, rests along the northern edge of the Plaguewrought Lands. The merchants of this city "cater to" pilgrims, adventurers, mages, and others who seek the ruins of the Plaguewrought Lands for one reason or another. Though it has a reputation as a rather rough city, it is the closest thing to a center of civilization that can be found in this region, and the Order of the Blue Fire maintains some semblance of protection for the citizens. The Plaguewrought Lands themselves are comprised of surreal landscapes thta are breathtaking in their beauty, grandeur, and instability. Earthmotes are common in this region, as are rolling "waves" of earth that constantly shift, revealing deep ravines that often go as far down as the Underdark.
>> No. 11656 edit
Sariel raises an eyebrow.

"And this would not put our mission more at peril than however long these griffins would take?"

Take 10 on Knowledge(history), I have a +10 mod anyway.
>> No. 11657 edit
File 130141783628.jpg - (12.74KB , 322x362 , valanor.jpg )
11657
Valanor shrugs, staning up from his work, and offers a smile, saying, "You should take the griffons with you, to avoid traveling on foot in the Plaguewrought Lands. And for the journey back, of course. Otherwise, I cannot think of why it would put your trip in peril. The Order of the Blue Fire's agents are generally benevolent towards those journeying therein."
>> No. 11658 edit
File 130160247175.png - (85.38KB , 291x478 , kan_defa2.png )
11658
"Hey there, Captain. We just gave a glance to the griffons and they seem to be pretty tough, but I'm interested in seeing the trip route to reach the Plaguewrought Lands. And... this ship seems to be filled with interesting stuff, are any of these rations for the travel?"
>> No. 11659 edit
File 130238672466.jpg - (100.96KB , 638x825 , captain.jpg )
11659
"I have a map with the route plotted out here," the guard captain replies, walking onto the deck and then onto the dock. "And these are magic canteens to supply you with water for the journey." He stares a bit at Valanor upon noticing him, as if lost in thought, then turns back to the half-orc and says, "If you wish to analyze the route, come here. All of the spots marked for your nightly rests should be safe."
>> No. 11660 edit
Sureiya follows Highwind.
>> No. 11661 edit
>>11650

Myn blinks once, nodding and turning his attention back towards the loathsome noble as he idly spins his imp around by the leg.

"...I suppose I'm in no position to be picky here."

>> No. 11662 edit
File 129910793379.png - (253.80KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p2.png )
11662
Captain Highwind goes over the map with Sureiya, while the imp Myn is twirling makes annoying, high-pitched chitters of protest.

Valanor shrugs and goes back to work on his chalk circle, saying, "Well, I'll have the circle ready in a few moments. Then I'll need some minutes more to cast the ritual, but at its conclusion, the portal will only remain open for a very short time. If you're willing to accept my help, feel free to tell me when to start. Though if you need more time to prepare, I can wait a short while."
>> No. 11663 edit
>>11662
"Well I'm ready. Not sure about everyone else."
>> No. 11665 edit
File 136332617163.png - (415.46KB , 474x455 , mion250.png )
11665
>>11663
"Portal huh? Alright this will be interesting."
Samel stands up and goes near Torinn
He murmurs
"May Oghma protects us "
>> No. 11668 edit
File 136338675954.png - (52.06KB , 320x835 , griffon.png )
11668
Valanor finishes up the circle, stands, and looks down at it briefly before looking back to the party, smiling expectantly.

Once Sureiya and captain Highwind finish with the map, Highwind turns around towards the griffons and announces, "Perhaps now's a good time to inspect the birds."
>> No. 11669 edit
Torinn whistles, "Not bad. They're certainly tough enough to get us there."
>> No. 11675 edit
File 129757250051.png - (58.56KB , 330x443 , kan_fumana1.png )
11675
"Yeah, they should do the job."
Sureiya somehow gets informed about Valanor's plan and questions him.

"Can you really do that? That would really make this much faster."
>> No. 11680 edit
File 129910793379.png - (253.80KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p2.png )
11680
"Yes, well, as soon as you're ready I'll begin," Valanor confirms to Sureiya. "It's the least I could do for friends of Thelkra."

"If there's anything left you wish to do in town, I suggest you do it quickly," the captain says, eying Valanor a bit suspiciously but saying nothing about his offer of teleportation.
>> No. 11683 edit
>>11680
Torinn gets on the toughest looking of the bunch of griffons. He finds it natural enough to direct the creature towards the magic circle and nods at Valanor, saying to the party, "All right, everone. Let's get ready to ride."
>> No. 11685 edit
Just before taking a griffon, Sureiya questions to Sariel.
"Hm, did you have a chance to enchant my weapon?"
>> No. 11686 edit
"Ah, right, knew I forgot something..." Sariel produces the Harmony Blade from her Bag of Holding. "An increase in its power, yes? I made the enchantment as potent as I could manage, given time, expertise and resources." And thus hands him the extra-enchanted weapon.
>> No. 11688 edit
Sureiya takes his blade back and smirks in response.
"It looks real good. I'm sure this will help me smack those bastards, thanks a bunch."
>> No. 11689 edit
>>11688
Sariel suppresses a smirk. "Mind you, 'tis not magic guides its strikes. If you fail, don't blame the tool--you still have to aim. The enchantment only helps you bypass their armour, not their mobility."
>> No. 11690 edit
Surprised by Sariel's reply, the ranger explains "I wasn't complaining you know, I can recognize a fine blade when I see it."
>> No. 11693 edit
File 129944752142.png - (24.46KB , 200x200 , well EXCUSE ME princess.png )
11693
"Hey Sureiya," Torinn calls out, sounding a tad impatient, "Can you and Twinklefingers get on your rides and come over here already?"
>> No. 11694 edit
Sariel positively glares at Torinn.

"Perhaps the overgrown lizard would like to shut its yap," the eladrin replies sharply, "lest it will find its next reckless charge to be its last."

So saying, she fetches her griffon, taking it by the reigns and leading it towards Valanor, where she awaits the opening of the portal. She spares Torinn no further glance.
>> No. 11695 edit
Having enjoyed a ride on a giant fly in his youth, Myn mounts the griffon with slight enthusiasm.
>> No. 11696 edit
File 136374808723.jpg - (65.75KB , 460x750 , MionismywaifuBd8661667102f21a05a0f78984e667ecf.jpg )
11696
Samel also mounts one of the last griffons. It takes him quite some time to do it because it is the first time he is doing something like that. He manages to get on without any trouble.
>> No. 11697 edit
"Hah, so you two are already like that?" says Sureiya, just before giving a good look to the remaining griffons.
Then he gets close to one of them a gives pets him a bit before mounting it.
>> No. 11698 edit
File 129490478099.png - (257.40KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p5.png )
11698
Once the group is mounted, Valanor smiles and kneels over the circle, beginning a strange chant, occasionally accompanied by enigmatic gestures. The circle glows and pulses ominously as he does so, and it's clear he's begun performing the ritual. After ten minutes, the circle glows, and the area within the circle shimmers, and the sorcerer steps back from the newly-created portal.

"Move quickly, friends, the portal will not last for long!" Valanor instructs.
>> No. 11699 edit
File 129757250051.png - (58.56KB , 330x443 , kan_fumana1.png )
11699
Just before getting in, the ranger questions "I might be pushing our luck too far , but, is there any way for us to get back with a portal just like this one?"
>> No. 11700 edit
File 129909998322.png - (255.05KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p3.png )
11700
"I already explained that I cannot help you there," Valanor says apologetically. "The portal in Baldur's Gate was rendered nonfunctional in the Spellplague, and no one has been able to set up another permanent one here."
>> No. 11701 edit
"Oh.. something's must be wrong with my head today. Captain, could you please lend us the map and the canteens anyway?"
>> No. 11702 edit
File 136376317438.png - (160.19KB , 474x455 , mion98.png )
11702
Samel takes a step forward.

"No more waiting orc! We have to go now. Let's go partners!"
Samel takes the lead and enters the portal.
>> No. 11703 edit
Torinn lightly punches Sureiya in the shoulder for his remark, then has his griffon rear back. "All right, everyone. Let's get cracking," he says before leading his mount through the portal.
>> No. 11704 edit
Scratching the back of his head, Sureiya gives up and gets through the portal.
>> No. 11705 edit
Audio 18-Where_Lords_Rule_Not.mp3 - (4.82MB , 18-Where Lords Rule Not.mp3 )
11705
By the time the ritual is complete, captain Highwind has already stowed a map of the route and the canteens in the griffons' saddlebags.

Each of the adventurers mounts their griffons, and quickly moves them onto the shimmering circle. As soon as their griffons cross the threshold, they find themselves in a large, dimly-lit room. On the somewhat dusty stone floor, a large, runed circle is inscribed that Myn or Sariel could easily identify as an old teleportation circle used for Linked Portal rituals.

The ceiling is quite high, at least fifty feet up, and the walls appear unadorned. It appears this room has not been used in some time, though the doors out are quite large, at least thirty feet high and twenty feet across, and are somewhat ornately decorated, if a bit dusty. The only illumination in this room is provided by a few everburning torches that are mounted on the walls, placed strategically around the room to provide light. Oddly though, they seem a bit dimmer than normal everburning torches.

The room is otherwise completely empty and apparently devoid of life.
>> No. 11706 edit
A bit dizzy from the travel, the ranger inspects a little the room, looking for an exit.
"Ugh... I still hate magic."

>> No. 11707 edit
File 129910793379.png - (253.80KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p2.png )
11707
Moving forward on his griffon, Sureiya determines that the only readily visible exit is the set of double doors.
>> No. 11708 edit
"Don't stand there, let's find out where we are!"
Still mounting his griffon, the ranger opens the doors.
>> No. 11710 edit
File 136394084123.jpg - (52.57KB , 1024x744 , mion_sonozaki_by_akatsukideidara_sama.jpg )
11710
Strangely, Samel doesn't get dizzy at all. It seems like a deja vu to him, that teleportation feeling, but he cannot remember where and why.
He thinks
"Someday, I will remember, probably."
He sees the group getting ready, however Sureiya is already opening the door. He quickly get down of his griffon and rush to the door as well.


"Don't be hasty my associate, there might be a trap in that room. Luckily, I can usually recognize them with these two eyes of mine, let me have a look"

perception roll: 1d20+14: 16 [1d20=2], http://orokos.com/roll/100014
>> No. 11711 edit
File 130101422990.png - (318.54KB , 486x800 , 11125426_p1.png )
11711
Samel's search doesn't reveal anything out of the ordinary. Sureiya's opening of the door bears a little more fruit, however, as on the other side of the door appears to be the interior of a temple-like building. There are square pillars with arches connecting them, holding up a half-cylinder ceiling that extends for quite a distance. The floor is a pale, blue marble, and the pillars are the same, yet the walls appear yellowish and are decorated with images of blue flames that seem to be carved into the walls themselves. Hanging chandeliers provide plenty of light to this area, unlike the dimly-lit portal chamber. Though there appears to only be one floor to this area, the ceiling is quite high up, and higher on the walls are stained-glass windows that leak in light from the outside. They are also made in the image of blue flames.

The room appears to be occupied by a scattering of humanoids, most of them wearing simple hooded robes. The sight of a half-orc riding a griffon in the doorway attracts a lot of attention. One of the humanoids, a half-elf male by the look of things, approaches Sureiya and stammers out an address, "G-greetings, pilgrim! What brings you to the Temple of Blue Fire?"
>> No. 11713 edit
Absolutely un-dazed, unphased and undaunted by their recent trip, Torinn moves ahead and takes up his duty as party face once more. "Greetings! We are just passing through here on official business for the sake of preventing the outbreak of war."
>> No. 11715 edit
Sariel pointedly distances herself somewhat from the group, still not mounting the griffon but leading it by the reins.

The eladrin just cannot fathom the benefit of announcing one's intentions so clearly; What if these people desired war? What if they didn't like people travelling through their country on diplomatic reasons, and why wasn't calling them 'diplomatic reasons' sufficient?

Why announce to everyone what their purpose was?!

No wonder the Fell King could alert everyone to their arrival!

>> No. 11716 edit
File 130160247175.png - (85.38KB , 291x478 , kan_defa2.png )
11716
A bit surprised by Torinn's words, the ranger adds, a little nervous.
"Haha, I'm not sure if it would end a war, but we were sent here by the Duke's orders, and they sent us here making use of your Gate. Unless we have to pay any kind of fee or something our stay here might be rather short"
>> No. 11725 edit
File 129490478099.png - (257.40KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p5.png )
11725
"The duke? War?" the half-elf seems a bit overwhelmed and confused. "Well, it has been quite some time since our teleportation circle has seen any use... you picked an odd route to travel, if you are merely passing through. Few enter the Plaguewrought Lands without good reason. Perhaps you are not aware of the dangers that lay ahead? The Order of Blue Fire is dedicated to safeguarding pilgrims in their travels through this region."

The robed half-elf bows slightly, looking slightly more composed, and says, "There is no fee for our services. I would advise against attempting to travel the Plaguewrought Land without first making yourself aware of the dangers you shall face."
>> No. 11735 edit
Sariel sighs. Yes, indeed, dear half-elf, you've met up with the most incredible adventuring party in the annals of history.

Sariel approaches, handing her griffon's reins to Sureiya as she passes.


"I would appreciate if you forgot what was just said," she says in Elven. "Any assistance with regards to navigating this area would be helpful, as we are foreign to these lands and I would not want to invite ruin on our group through ignorance."

She then turns to the party, and says in the Common tongue, "I intend to visit this Order of Blue Fire to learn more about these lands. I'd think it expedient we all go, and belay our task here for a moment, unless any of you have plans that trump arming yourself with knowledge."
>> No. 11742 edit
File 129910793379.png - (253.80KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p2.png )
11742
The half-elf nods to Sariel, as if appreciative for meeting someone with some sense. He gestures to the building around them, and if you have a look around, you may have noticed that some of the other humanoids gathered have turned back to their own business and conversations. The sight of a mixture of humanoids in foreign clothing and griffons still holds the attention of many of those gathered, however. The half-elf speaks to you again, in Common, "This is our temple, the Changing House. Herein we prepare prospective pilgrims for their travels." He refocuses his gaze, and nods to the griffons, saying, "Perhaps a few of you could lead your beasts out of the temple before we speak? It's rather unusual to have such creatures inside our shrine. There is a stable not far from here, though if you do not plan to stay long you may simply allow them to linger outside the building. In the meantime, if you'll follow me, I'll introduce you to one of my superiors. She is more versed in these matters than I."
>> No. 11743 edit
Sariel nods.

"A reasonable request, though I would be loath to leave them unattended." She turns to the party, going over each one of them. She considers for a moment. "I believe it would be wise to let Sureiya and our latest companion would go ahead of us, while Li-- Torinn, Myn and I attend the griffons.

"You do not mind if we join you later, yes?" she checks with the half-elf. "If there is someone to guide us, we shall find our way to you after we have settled in the griffons."
>> No. 11744 edit
File 129490478099.png - (257.40KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p5.png )
11744
"Of course, I understand," the half elf replies back. "I'll be right back after I make the introduction, and wait for you at the temple's entrance."
>> No. 11745 edit
File 136409843897.png - (17.81KB , 272x397 , BUP_0082down.png )
11745
To be honest, Samel is a little confused about this plan. He thinks:
" Despite the fact that I hate talking with people, shouldn't Torinn or Sariel be the one doing it instead."

Nevertheless, he agrees to the plan and indicates to Sariel that he left his griffon inside of the portal room.

The priest tells Sureiya.

"We should go meet that person then. I am ready when you are."
>> No. 11746 edit
Torinn sees no harm in sticking around very briefly, dismounting from the griffin and saying to the others, "Let's leave the beasts outside and hitch them to some posts."
>> No. 11747 edit
Before getting off his mount, Sureiya gives Sariel an "are you darn sure about this?" kind-of-look. Once down, he nods to Samel and introduces himself.
"Sorry for the earlier mess, the name's Sureiya, I think we could use some information about the area."
>> No. 11748 edit
"Or alternately, we bring them to aforementioned stables," Sariel says to Torinn, frowning at him. Did he not listen to a word that was said?

She replies to Sureiya's stare by sternly glaring back in a way that unequivocally means, "Get on with it". Or "My pants are riding up my arse", but since they're not, it's not that.

When the others leave, Sariel turns to Torinn.


"Now that we have some time alone, Dra--Torinn, I must seriously question why you find it wise to tell every stranger we encounter about our mission," she says. "I cannot decide whether it's naively believing the world means right by you, or if you have not considered the strategical advantage of guile and secrecy."
>> No. 11752 edit
File 133889930240.jpg - (96.76KB , 500x500 , well__.jpg )
11752
Torinn has to stop and consider the question. It seemed like second nature to him at this point to announce his intentions to the world; he wasn't one for subtlety. Finally he responds, "Because a group of seasoned adventurers saying 'we're just passing through' when you pop out of a previously abandoned area of a temple riding griffins bred for war... Well nobody's going to believe that, and I don't want to tell lies that could come back to bite us in the arse. It's much quicker to be honest and say the gist of why we're here without giving up the specifics."

"Although," he murmurs after realizing something, "I concede we could have said we're here on business for Duke Prestor and left it at that."
>> No. 11753 edit
Sariel shakes her head and stares at Torinn flatly. "Please understand that we are not some heroic adventurers reknown from far, and who command great respect and authority. We don't. When it comes down to it, we're running errands for them, no better than a cabin boy on a pirate's ship."

She snorts. "So saying, I sincerely doubt our sincerity would be called into question if we remained vague about our purpose, as there are numerous people who enjoy secrecy and trust. Case in point: Elaine, Halvangh, Duke Prestor, Valanor, Myn, Sureiya..." She pauses, "Need I continue?

"What I mean is, you should be less trusting of the world. The Fell King is a threat; It is not unthinkable that he might attempt to track our movements, and if he had any spies here to alert him of our plans, you've set them right off."

The eladrin leaves it at that, though, mumbling a quiet, "Either way, what's done is done." as she sets off, leading two of the griffons to the stables. She directs Torinn to handle two more, and Myn, who she has considered nothing but ornament so far, a pathetic piece of furniture that would not even be worthy of love, can put away his own griffon.
>> No. 11758 edit
File 130101422990.png - (318.54KB , 486x800 , 11125426_p1.png )
11758
While those outside have their discussion, the half-elf they met before guides Samel and Sureiya off to the side, through a door, and into a somewhat smaller yet exquisite office room. In this room, which is decorated with more emblems of blue fire, sits a woman behind a desk. The woman is a dragonborn, with bluish-purple tinted scales, wearing a white robe without a hood, accented with blue flames around the sleeves and neckline. She was apparently examining a stack of papers at her desk when you walked in, but upon hearing the door open she puts them away and looks up to face the half-orc, deva, and half-elf that approach her.

"Ah, Malachi. You've brought pilgrims to meet me? Very good, thank you," she says in a silky voice, nodding to the half-elf. Malachi bows and leaves the room, and the dragonborn woman refocuses her attention on Samel and Sureiya. "Welcome. I am Kava, proprietor of this establishment, and overseer of this sect of the Order of Blue Fire. You've come seeking passage into the Plaguewrought Land?"

Malachi the half-elf heads back to the door inside the temple to await the re-entry of the remainder of the adventurers.
>> No. 11760 edit
With her lecturing and admonishing done, Sariel moves to join the others! ... Once Torinn and Myn finish their part of the work.
>> No. 11761 edit
File 136417388794.jpg - (104.25KB , 900x555 , mion_sonozaki___again_by_its_ida-d302n7s.jpg )
11761
"A good day to you, kind lady. My name is Samel, and this fellow here is Sureiya. This might be rather sudden, but yes , we intend to travel to a large earthmote in the Plaguewrought Lands and will greatly appreciate any information you can provide about it. I apologize in the name of my group for any trouble that was caused by our arrival, this might not be usual for pilgrims to travel by the portal."



Just to be safe, insight check her intentions,1d20+14: 20 [1d20=6],http://orokos.com/roll/100413
>> No. 11762 edit
File 13312778917.png - (66.95KB , 300x217 , kan_odorokia44.png )
11762
"Ugh, at least I was getting used to the Duke, I don't like talking with people like this."
"Thank you, erhm, lady Kava. Like I tried to explain before to Malachi, we have come here by orders of Baldur's gate. There's something we have to investigate at the earthmotes in this area, and we would be happy to accept any help or information about the dangers left by the spellplague that lurks over the land."
>> No. 11763 edit
Audio 23_-_Sometime_Somewhere.mp3 - (2.64MB , 23 - Sometime Somewhere.mp3 )
11763
"Earthmotes? Is that what the ruckus was about with the griffons earlier?" Kava wonders. She folds her hands together and leans over, an odd pose for a dragonborn. "I have good news and bad news, at the very least. The good news is that the earthmotes are devoid of most of the environmental dangers of the Plaguewrought Lands--that is to say, traveling by air, you won't have to encounter most of the dangers of corruption by magical forces or warping of magic and magical items. The bad news is that traversing the earthmotes themselves tends to be difficult, as few are willing or interested enough to make the attempt, and fewer still return."
>> No. 11765 edit
Sureiya throws a quick glance to Samel, as if saying "Why wouldn't you deal with her."
"I see, and what have explorers found the few times they have adventured into the earthmotes?"
>> No. 11767 edit
File 136424674878.jpg - (93.95KB , 638x437 , 4micrydo9.jpg )
11767
Samel catches the glance and quickly adds
"Y-yes, if we may ask, what happens to those who try to travel the earthmotes?"
>> No. 11769 edit
Torinn coaxes the immobile Myn off of his ride, then leads the birds to the stables. After that, he starts to consider how to introduce himself in the future.
>> No. 11770 edit
Sariel eyes the senseless Myn.

"Do you think the teleportation went wrong?" Sariel queries of Torinn, dumb-struck by how the already quiet Myn has suddenly turned silent as a statue. Like some magic spell befell the thing... Well, for one who consorts with Drow, that's not entirely weird.
>> No. 11771 edit
>>11770
"Eh, he'll get over it."
>> No. 11772 edit
File 129490478099.png - (257.40KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p5.png )
11772
The griffons seem well-trained to accommodate whatever commotion is going on--for the most part. Sureiya's griffon rears up a bit at being led away, but it eventually cooperates. Myn's griffon begins to preen its feathers once it is secure in the stables. The stablekeeper is cooperative, if a bit silent.

The three reunite with Sureiya and Samel just as Kava is about to respond to their query. She nods at their entry, saying, "This must be the rest of your group." She continues on, to address the concerns of the half-orc and deva, "There are many that would like to visit these earthmotes, yet cannot. Just reaching them is a challenge. From what few reports we get back, many are inhabited by dangerous, mutant creatures or elemental beings. There is a particularly large earthmote not too far to the southeast that has caught the eye of many a thrill-seeker, yet by all accounts it is nearly impregnable. A constant wind storm surrounds the surface of the mote, and those who have managed to approach it have been accosted by what appeared to be archons."

Archon lore is an arcana check.
>> No. 11774 edit
Sariel knows her archons, but rather than go into a lengthy discussion about them, she simply nods her acknowledgement of the dragonborn lady and stares at Sureiya and Samel.

"What did we miss?" she queries.

Archon knowledge: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3992141/
>> No. 11775 edit
Returning to his senses after intensive musing, Myn decides against a joke that his mind was elsewhere.

Knowledge check:http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3992148/
>> No. 11776 edit
"An impregnable floating island coated in air? That sure sounds suspicious."
"She's lady Kava" Sureiya tries to explain. "It looks like not a lot is known about the earthmotes, as not many decide to adventure into them."
>> No. 11777 edit
File 136434043178.jpg - (228.14KB , 640x465 , power overwhelming.jpg )
11777
Archon knowledge (Myn): Servants of the primordials, archons are powerful elemental entities that served as soldiers for the ancient elemental lords in times of old. Unlike most other elemental entities, archons were specifically designed to be used as soldiers, and are formed as humanoid shapes that inhabit one or more pieces of armor. A fire archon, for example, would be a being of pure fire in a vaguely humanoid shape, wearing perhaps a suit of scale armor or chainmail and wielding a flaming scimitar that turns to ash when the archon is destroyed.

Many archons exist, though air, fire, earth, and water archons are the most common. Not all too uncommon, however, are other varieties such as crystal, slime, or storm archons. Archons are rarely seen outside the elemental chaos unless they have been called forth by an elemental lord for a specific purpose.


Archon knowledge (Sariel): You know all that Myn knows. In addition, you have heard that, in the past, some mortal beings learned to control archons by placing specific enchantments on the armor that the archon inhabits. Summoning them into this plane, however, is not a feat that has ever been mastered to your knowledge.
>> No. 11778 edit
File 129910793379.png - (253.80KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p2.png )
11778
"Indeed, this region is known as one of the last great frontiers of Faerun," Kava says, nodding and folding her hands. "Very little is known about the Plaguewrought Lands themselves, much less the larger earthmotes. If you see fit to travel to one, I advise extreme caution. Be very prepared. In fact, we may be able to help you with that."
>> No. 11779 edit
File 13306415964.jpg - (128.88KB , 1040x1040 , it\'s dangerous to go alone! take this.jpg )
11779
>>11778
"What sort of aid can you offer us?"
>> No. 11780 edit
File 129490478099.png - (257.40KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p5.png )
11780
"Another traveler, a mage of no small amount of power, was interested in traveling to one of the earthmotes. He just arrived recently. If you'd be willing to take him along, perhaps he could offer you some assistance," Kava offers, tapping a clawed finger against her desk.

You think each of the griffons should carry a passenger in addition to the rider without compromising its abilities. Of course, it wouldn't be able to utilize the abilities that refer specifically to the rider, though it would be able to secure itself in the saddle with the rider.
>> No. 11781 edit
Sariel crosses her arms and frowns unhappily.

"I should hope that is no implication about my prowess," the eladrin scoffs. Another mage? Honestly. It'll turn out to be another Myn, just you wait and see!
>> No. 11782 edit
File 129909998322.png - (255.05KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p3.png )
11782
Kava tilts her head and says, "Of course not, I've only just met you. I couldn't know about your prowess in magic as of yet. This one has demonstrated his competency in the arcane arts, thus I vouch for him not being a burden on your cause." She then straightens her gaze and focuses her attention back towards the group as a whole, saying, "Speaking of which, may I ask what business Baldur's Gate has so distant from their own lands?"
>> No. 11783 edit
File 130195776429.png - (28.74KB , 211x186 , gotthegoods.png )
11783
>>11782
Trying his hand at this 'not giving away everying' deal, Torinn responds,"I think we'd prefer if you didn't."
>> No. 11784 edit
"You may ask, though I fear we cannot divulge all details of the interest we represent," Sariel answers, satisfied with the dragongirl's answer. She glances at Torinn, curious if the dragonborn is going to rattle off their entire life story again. "Would it be sufficient to say we expect to find something in these lands, connected to arcane research?" Though, revealing we're going to the earthmotes was probably too much, too. Seriously, do my allies have no sense for this at all?

Well, casting a ritual to enable a scrying spell probably counts as research. Shouldn't get Dragonboy's panties in a knot.

>> No. 11785 edit
File 129490478099.png - (257.40KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p5.png )
11785
"I see," Kava says, sounding slightly disappointed. However, she gives an understanding nod, and says, "Well, I will not begrudge you your secrets. In any case, if there's anything else our order can help you with, feel free to ask. We do not have much in our small temple, yet should you require rest, food, or further guidance we will attempt to accommodate. As for the mage I referred to earlier, I'll have Malachi attempt to track him down for you if you have no further questions or requests."
>> No. 11786 edit
File 129625592147.png - (59.43KB , 330x443 , kan_fumana17.png )
11786
"Another wizard? Something's fishy."
"That's sounds pretty good, but I think we might need to argue first if we're going to need someone else to escort us" says Sureiya, throwing a surprised look to his friends.
>> No. 11787 edit
File 130101422990.png - (318.54KB , 486x800 , 11125426_p1.png )
11787
"Of course. I do have other matters to attend to as well, so I'll leave you in Malachi's hands for now," Kava says, nodding to the half-elf, who is still standing in the back of the room. "If there's nothing else, I wish you all the best on your pilgrimage."
>> No. 11791 edit
"Thank you for your time." Torinn looks to Malachi and asks him, "Where can we meet this mage?"
>> No. 11792 edit
File 129910793379.png - (253.80KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p2.png )
11792
"H-he's visiting the temple currently, I can lead you to him whenever you wish," replies the half-elf as he walks with the group out of Kava's office. "I was under the impression you wanted to discuss this matter amongst yourselves first?"
>> No. 11793 edit
File 129652691796.jpg - (79.78KB , 640x480 , kanongununu.jpg )
11793
Thanking Kava, Sureiya leaves and meets with his comrades outside of her office.
"I think we do" says Sureiya. "Could ya give us a few minutes? If only I'm opposed, this could end up pretty fast anyway."
>> No. 11796 edit
File 134692307521.png - (444.65KB , 434x756 , shmiontarot_2.png )
11796
The half-elf bows and moves away from the group to allow them to discuss the matter amongst themselves.
>> No. 11798 edit
"I think, before we leave for the earth mote, we should look into the purchasing of a set of binoculars or a handheld telescope. Being able to see our destination before we reach it can give us an advantage."
>> No. 11799 edit
Sariel eyes the dragonborn, but relents and instead focuses her attention on Sureiya.

"Perhaps an additional wizard allows me to depart for greener pastures, and leave him in your care to cast the ritual," she drawls. "I do worry if we add more to our party, the integrity of our mission might be at stake."
>> No. 11801 edit
"Besides what happened a while ago, our mission is still supposed to be secret. Should we really trust a skilled wizard who by some chance was interested in visiting the earthmotes? For all we know he could be, well, another of his pawns" says Sureiya, in a lower voice.
>> No. 11804 edit
File 136468928599.png - (190.22KB , 474x455 , mion82.png )
11804
Samel looks troubled
"Even I find it really suspicious, but at the same time we might need all available help , Kava left me a bad impression of what is to come. In addition, Ive always been told not to judge a book by its cover."
>> No. 11805 edit
"On the other hand," Torinn says to Sureiya, "what if they have valuable insight that makes our job that much easier? Keep an eye on them if you don't trust them."
>> No. 11806 edit
File 129757250051.png - (58.56KB , 330x443 , kan_fumana1.png )
11806
"So you're saying it's worth the risk? I'm not sure about it..." the ranger mumbles.
"Alright, let's go see this guy. If he looks strong enough we could give him a chance."
>> No. 11807 edit
File 129490478099.png - (257.40KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p5.png )
11807
Once the group finishes their discussion, Malachi leads them over to an isolated figure in the temple's main hall. The humanoid is of an unidentifiable race, as a thick hood over a protrusion masks his face, and the rest of his body is covered up by the hooded robe. Atop the hooded robe sits a set of regalia which make him look quite important and fashionable, if in a bizarre way. On one finger is a top-heavy ring with some sort of symbol on it.

"Mister Malik," the half-elf says, addressing the hooded figure. "These folk have brought flying mounts to make for the earthmotes. If it suits you, they would have you join them. Lady Kava believed it would be mutually beneficial to your goals."
>> No. 11810 edit
File 136471207620.jpg - (89.16KB , 602x452 , kenku.jpg )
11810
After Turning to to Malachi and pausing briefly, the figure removes its headdress with one claw-like hand and its hood with another, revealing an avian face featuring a long, black beak. He opens it to answer, "Thank you, Malachi. I would like to believe the same." His beady eyes flit from one party member to the next, while his hands come together, removing the ring and pocketing it. His eyes come to rest on Myn, and with a start, his arms draw out from his robes, leaving his hands open-palmed in a welcoming gesture.

"Myn? To think that I would meet you again here! I had thought you dead!" His eyes move alternatively from Myn to the other party members. "What is this party you've gathered?"
Bluff check 1d20+31: 51 [1d20=20] http://orokos.com/roll/101333
>> No. 11820 edit
>>11810

Expressing a smile of rare more-genuine-than-usual quality, Myn reciprocates the gesture.

"I'd indeed think it wise to consider those unseen for a day dead in my homeland. Your good health is pleasing, Yalko."

The warlock turns to conduct introductions, invoking a previously-unneeded talent to clandestinely explain the situation.

"My companions and I have been promised a reward from Valanor of Baldur's Gate, should we assist him with the investigation of the earthmotes. Yalko here is an old friend of mine from before I escaped Thay, and I can vouch for his trustworthiness."

Telepathy->Yalko:"In particular, there appears to be a leyline of interest to our employer's enemy on one."

>> No. 11821 edit
File 136471207620.jpg - (89.16KB , 602x452 , kenku.jpg )
11821
>>11820
Yalko nods and bows slightly to Myn's companions as he is introduced. "Mercenaries then, are you? I've heard of Valanor, and Myn and I have had dealings before. Forgive me for being upfront, but if you're requesting my assistance, can I trust the reward will be shared in fair order?"

Telepathy->Myn:Something you can't speak of in present company? Then your mission must have some weight. Just as well, I would hate to see you abandon your own ambitions for the sake of coin.
>> No. 11825 edit
Sariel does not bother hiding her disgust.

"A kenkku?" the arcanist says, aghast. "We are bringing along a MONSTER for this expedition? By the balls of Mystra, is the Fell King this daft?"

She glares venomously at the kenkku, activating the magic orbs set in her gloves.
>> No. 11826 edit
File 136471207620.jpg - (89.16KB , 602x452 , kenku.jpg )
11826
>>11825
Yalko takes a sudden step back, his beady eyes darting from Myn to his attacker. "I was just now told you would have me join - you heard it - if that isn't the case, you need only say so, and we can each go our own way! Do you think Malachi here too is trying to trick you?"
>> No. 11830 edit
"Well this is a rare sight. I can't say I know much about kenku, but I do know that few of them offer to be adventurers. If you really wish to aid us, though, you are welcome." So said, Torinn disrupts Sariel's field of vision by waving a hand/claw in front of her face, growling, "Settle down."
>> No. 11831 edit
File 133969364379.png - (59.41KB , 330x442 , kan_ikaria2.png )
11831
Being the most suspicious one before, Sureiya was ready to interrogate the wizard. However, looking at Sariel's racial discrimination at work again he backs off a little bit.
"Very well, two questions. Your name was Yalko right? How long have you been around here, and why you are interested in the earhtmotes?"
>> No. 11832 edit
File 136471207620.jpg - (89.16KB , 602x452 , kenku.jpg )
11832
>>11830
Pausing, Yalko lowers his head slightly. "...If you did know anything, it would only be for the worse, as you can see. My kind carry a certain reputation, and I'm liked about as much by them as I am by others."

>>11831
Raising his head to meet the half-orc, he continues. "Yalko Malik. I arrived here two days ago, and have had little choice but to remain here. I wanted to investigate a ley line that may run through the earthmotes, but that may have been naïve. I fear it's too dangerous for one alone."
Bluff check 1d20+31: 48 [1d20=17] http://orokos.com/roll/101350

"A question of my own. It's clear your party hasn't decided on accepting my company. Is there a leader among you? I had thought it would be Myn, but...?"
>> No. 11833 edit
Sariel bristles. "If deceit runs as deep as the city of Heyl'r, then perhaps a--" She pauses in her tirade when, annoyed, she realises Torinn is holding his grubby paws out. With a clack of her tongue, the eladrin fades away and reappears on the other side of the kenkku. Friggin' annoying dragonboy.

"We are lead by none, though we usually chase helplessly after Myn," she says to the kenkku, not yet prepared to disarm her magic. "Warlock, you will confirm: This... Malik. Would you trust him with your life?"

Sariel's just not easily convinced to follow a kenkku: Charlatans, as far as she knows. Altogether beastly creatures that thrive on deceit. As is usual, though, the rest of the group seems accepting and altogether guileless... Honestly. These guys would one day march to their deaths, embracing the glory of the Fell King unwittingly. And Sariel, for one, does not desire to be part of that.

Expend fey step, aeuhauehaeh.
>> No. 11836 edit
File 136471207620.jpg - (89.16KB , 602x452 , kenku.jpg )
11836
Yalko in turn disappears. "I think," he says in a slightly raised voice, appearing not far across the hall, "that he would be more prepared to answer that if his words couldn't be interpreted as a signal to attack." He relieves his hand of his headdress, placing it back upon his dead, and a small winged reptile that had been fluttering around him comes to rest upon it.

"I haven't meant harm to any of you, Myn included."
Bluff check 1d20+31: 50 [1d20=19] http://orokos.com/roll/101354
"So if we can't come to an agreement, can we not at least part peacefully?"

Expend familiar's call.
>> No. 11843 edit
File 13091654769.png - (10.83KB , 200x200 , 154845675121.png )
11843
"Alright, cool down guys. Nothing good gonna come from an useless fistfight." says Sureiya, getting in the middle of the arcanists.

"So, you are aware of it? You know, then working together might be a good idea. We have been working with Myn for a while, and I trust him. I'll accept you if the others will compromise as well."
>> No. 11848 edit
File 136471207620.jpg - (89.16KB , 602x452 , kenku.jpg )
11848
>>11843
Yalko sighs, and begins to slowly approach the party. "I know of it, but little else, and it will stay that way if I'm left to my own devices, so I would join you," having covered some distance, he stops, " - if everything is to be in equal share. You are mercenaries, are you not?"
>> No. 11849 edit
"Would you prove to be worth of it, you shall get your fair share." answers the half-orc, with a smirk in his face.
>> No. 11850 edit
File 136476144146.jpg - (34.41KB , 294x277 , sorcerer-king anon.jpg )
11850
"It's not a good habit to enter into agreements where your payment is so vague." He shakes his head before continuing. "But seeing as how the opportunity to investigate is a reward in itself, I can afford it. And I may be getting ahead of myself. At the very least," Yalko looks over the party once again, "could we make our introductions in equal share? You all know my name - you confirmed it several times - while I only know Myn. And... that one of you is 'Torinn'"?
>> No. 11851 edit
File 136476208254.png - (205.93KB , 1000x1000 , noofighting.png )
11851
Myn watches the proceedings with veiled amusement for a bit before stepping in.

"I can say without reservation that I would trust him with my life no less than any of our group, Miss Sariel. As fellow scholars of magic, should you not have much in common as well?"

Telepathy->Yalko:There are few ambitions unaided by coin, I think. The true benefit of this work would be these companions, however.
>> No. 11852 edit
"Sureiya's here."
>> No. 11857 edit
File 136476290767.jpg - (158.02KB , 312x400 , grandmaster_arcanist.jpg )
11857
Telepathy->Myn:Gathering allies? It doesn't seem they would all be sympathetic to your cause. And as for the old group, it would seem you and I are the only ones left alive.
>> No. 11859 edit
File 136309594539.png - (135.95KB , 474x455 , mion171.png )
11859
Samel thinks "If he is a friend of Myn, there is nothing to be afraid of."
He steps forward

"It's... a pleasure to meet you.I am Samel, a priest of Oghma."
>> No. 11861 edit
Ignoring the eladrin for now, Torinn tries to make nice with their new ally. Not that Myn's word is the best assurance of trustworthiness, but he didn't seem like the traitorous sort. Or the kind that would steal things. Torinn hates those sorts of people.

"Actually, there were a handful of old tales about kenku that traveled with other people and hardly any of them ended badly for their allies." He doesn't mention how many ended badly for the kenku, though; turns out prejudices have run deep for a long, long time. "But yes, I'm Torinn Tormine, and it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Yalko. And the grumpy one is Sariel, who hates sunshine, puppies, happiness, dragonborn, and apparently kenku."
>> No. 11862 edit
The eladrin opens her mouth to speak and raises a finger in protest.

"You--" the words die in her throat. Honestly, why was she even bothering? For these people? She joined them to Halvangh's tower when their need was great, but clearly, they could get by without her.

Another arcanist had joined them, and monstrous as though it were, the group accepted it. So be it. Sariel, for one, would not travel alongside a monster.

The eladrin turned without a further word and distanced herself from the group.

>> No. 11864 edit
File 129625592147.png - (59.43KB , 330x443 , kan_fumana17.png )
11864
A little stressed by the whole situation, Sureiya follows Sariel and attempt to talk with her.
"Hey, what's wrong? Are you really that upset by this?"
>> No. 11866 edit
Sariel pauses, turning briskly. "I have had enough of this nonsense," she snarls. "You people are naive, rash, blithering fools who chase after whatever catches your fancy. Monsters, mongrels who deal with Drow, vainglorious dragonborn and whatnot, I have had enough of it."

She points to the rest of the group.

"That? That is your group of allies. Not mine. I have accompanied you to Halvangh's tower and then some, and have strained my patience to its utmost. I am done. I will not subject myself to belittlement and ridicule in order to save some human settlement." She snorts derisively. "As if those punks would not run aground their kingdom in no time either way, caught in the moment! Idiots, all of you. I should not ever have left Myth Drannor."

So saying, the eladrin turns and stomps off, grumbling about accompanying monsters to their untimely demise and whatnot. No, she would chose her adventures more carefully, in a group with people who did not prefer the cold embrace of the Raven Queen over caution.
>> No. 11868 edit
File 136478711798.jpg - (190.11KB , 400x558 , wait up.jpg )
11868
Torinn watches Sariel leave, finally realizing he'd pushed things a little too far. Of course, impulsively chasing after things is something that he's become quite good at. As he demonstrates by running after Sariel.
>> No. 11871 edit
File 136480188636.jpg - (45.82KB , 1280x720 , karasu1.jpg )
11871
Yalko watches the commotion, before tilting his head for a sideways glance at the rest of the group. "A pleasure, but it seems our acquaintance ends here." He takes off his headdress once again, and replaces his robe's hood upon his head as he speaks. "Buying a new ally at the cost of a trusted old one is hardly a bargain, even if it appears you aren't out for just profit. I will find another way to the earth motes."
>> No. 11875 edit
File 129757250051.png - (58.56KB , 330x443 , kan_fumana1.png )
11875
Completely lost at words, the ranger approaches to the Dragonborn.
"Alright, you go talk with her. Just don't make her more angry."
>> No. 11876 edit
File 129824293895.jpg - (101.33KB , 600x600 , am i in trouble.jpg )
11876
Don't make her more angry? Is he serious? That'll require drastic measures. And he really doesn't want to do it until she gets off her pillar and joins everybody else in reality. But he'd rather not have another comrade up and vanish like Bernkastel. Gods know what her fate is, but he can't imagine it's pleasant. He may not get along with the eladrin, but things can't just end like this. Not before he gets what he came for.

And besides, he was somewhat fond of her company.

Gritting his teeth, Torinn puts on his best face. Let's see, how would a real knight act? The dragonborn does his best, announcing,
"If that is what this is about, I apologize for the grief that my impulsiveness and crudeness has caused you, Lady Sariel. But I believe the most fault lies with me, so do not hate this company because of my own ignorance." Okay so far. It hurt to say it, but it was a good sort of pain, like drinking water on an empty stomach. What else? Oh yes, probably the most damning thing to say. "While I cannot force you to stay with the group, is there anything I could do to persuade you to bear with it? Just until the earth mote is dealt with?"
>> No. 11878 edit
Sariel looks at the dragonborn sharply and... She reaches into her bag of holding, producing the scroll for the ritual, and flings it at Torinn's head.

"I am not your utility tool, and I am no fool. My age is measured in hundreds, not years." She takes a deep breath, and with a scowl finishes, "A hundred years from now, I will still be, while you were. A hundred years ago, I had already become, while you were nothing. The difference between us is immeasurable, and I am done disgracing myself with your presence. I've permitted a warlock consorting with Drow, I've allowed an alliance with Drow and I have toiled for the sake of child monkeys chasing after vainglorious dreams. I am done.

"You are nothing to me. Generations of your kind will rise and fall before I ever die. Did you think yourself such important members of your species that I should degrade myself for your presence? Do not chase after me again, unless you are rearing for a fight."

With those final words, Sariel departs, seeking someone who can inform her about the next opportunity to get out of these lands. Perhaps she'll visit Ilar in Baldur's Gate one last time, and then, well, she's longed to go home. Away from this all. If adventure was a mistress that granted strength to her magic, she would seek it out with a party less delusional, and wizened by years to the dangers of trusting haphazardly.
>> No. 11881 edit
Still lost at words, the ranger walks toward Torinn once again and place his hand over his shoulder.
"... I didn't think she disliked us that much. I though she just was a little difficult, man.
Do you think she's gonna be okay?"
>> No. 11882 edit
File 130203634066.png - (59.29KB , 330x443 , kan_defa2.png )
11882
Seeing words won't solve anything, the ranger steps in a little and shouts.
"Hey you! Take care whenever you go!" says the ranger, saying goodbye to his friend.
>> No. 11883 edit
Torinn rubs at his head, staring at their ex-party member with a mind to tell her off. That hundreds of years from now, nobody will have ever heard of her, that an isolated xenophobe like herself will only succeed in indulging her hedonistic desire to learn without applying those lessons, that she still won't have made any impact on the world by then, while his own legacy of deeds would outlast her... But no. He lets her go. She can find out the hard way that there's more to living than just having a pulse.

"No, but she's on her own now." He pats Sureiya on the shoulder, "Now let's get back to the others. No use crying over things we can't help."
>> No. 11888 edit
Seeing the wizard leave for a last time, Sureiya returns with the others, maybe there's still a chance of that Kenku of joining them.
>> No. 11895 edit
File 129909998322.png - (255.05KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p3.png )
11895
Malachi seems a bit confused and taken about by the whole ordeal. Torrin and Sureiya make their way back to the rest of the group, which now consists of Myn and Samel.

"Erm..." Malachi manages.
>> No. 11896 edit
File 130606626814.png - (85.73KB , 291x478 , kan_komarua134.png )
11896
Once Sureiya is back with Myn and the others, he will approach Malachi and question him.
"Uhm, you know, something unexpected happened and we might welcome Yalko very well now. Do you know where he is?"
>> No. 11897 edit
File 13649759366.png - (206.17KB , 474x455 , mion119.png )
11897
"He... uhm, just walked off by this way."Samel points the direction where he went. The priest seems hesitant."Sureiya, is everything okay? About welcoming him,... you will need to be fast before he finds another way in the earth motes."
>> No. 11898 edit
File 130160247175.png - (85.38KB , 291x478 , kan_defa2.png )
11898
Nodding to Samel, Sureiya continues.
"Is everything okay? I don't know, it seems Sariel decided she don't wanna tag along with such a diverse group as us. Anyway, I gotta find this guy. Come on, help me to find him."
Walking in the direction Samel pointed out, Sureiya goes to look for the Kenku.
Perception (31) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4005495/
>> No. 11904 edit
File 136498106825.jpg - (66.81KB , 1280x720 , karasu7.jpg )
11904
Not far in the direction Samel pointed out, Yalko is seated alone off to the side, his various forms of dress still hanging over the beak that protrudes from his face. There is a bag before him, and he is busy fishing through the various pockets of his robe.
>> No. 11907 edit
Sureiya elaborates on their actual situation to Yalko.
"It wasn't your fault at all, but we would appreciate if you would accompany us. The payment offer is still up, of course."
>> No. 11909 edit
File 136498274427.jpg - (35.99KB , 1280x720 , karasu5.jpg )
11909
>>11907
Yalko's head rises to look at Sureiya as he approaches, and he pulls his hands from his robes to drop a ring into the bag before him, before putting it away. He listens to Sureiya's proposition without saying much. "Good news, if you'll forgive me saying so. I had just resigned myself to being stuck here for the meantime. I will join you. I just hope that Myn picked the rest of his companions with more care. You aren't all taken to flights of fancy, are you?"
>> No. 11911 edit
"Tool maintenance is one thing, but I'm hardly a babysitter."

Seeing the eladrin off with little concern, Myn moves to join the half-orc and bird thing.


"Worry not, we've scarcely lost half our group since the start of our collaboration."

Telepathy->Yalko:They aren't optimal, I admit, but they're certainly strong enough to be worth forming ties to.
>> No. 11912 edit
File 129757250051.png - (58.56KB , 330x443 , kan_fumana1.png )
11912
Doing his best to keep his friend's name cool, the ranger answers.
"Ya know, I'm not sure if she had flights of fancy or anything, maybe she was just a little tired of this damn mess. The rest seem to be cool with it."
>> No. 11915 edit
File 136506520882.jpg - (35.44KB , 1280x720 , karasu4.jpg )
11915
"Maybe so. According to her ranting, you put up with each other's company for no small amount of time." With that, Yalko stands from the table. "Should I take it as a good sign that you live long enough to lose a member under a frivolous circumstance? Or perhaps it indicates the reward is not worth the effort? After all..." Yalko looks in the direction in which Sariel left the temple, "...she was under the impression that you were out to save a human settlement. Baldur's Gate?"

Telepathy->Myn:If you really are forming ties. The elf's has come loose.
>> No. 11916 edit
>>11915
Torinn returns to the others and answer's Yalko's question, sort of. "The scope's a bit bigger than that, really. We could fill you in on the details later."
>> No. 11928 edit
File 13651587395.jpg - (81.15KB , 1280x720 , karasu10.jpg )
11928
After nodding twice, Yalko responds with a lighter tone. "Very well, mister Tormine. If it takes some explaining, you can do so along the way." Yalko steps closer to Torinn. "Now, what were your group's plans? I had just finished getting my belongings in order, so I can depart at any time, but I assume you'll all want to stay and rest a while, if you have just arrived."
>> No. 11930 edit
>>11915

Telepathy->Yalko:Ties have little to do with proximity of body, my friend. It's not as if I were the one who angered her, and as such there is little problem.
>> No. 11931 edit
File 136517555463.jpg - (67.51KB , 1280x720 , karasu11.jpg )
11931
Telepathy->Myn:Really? True enough, our own tie is mutually beneficial again after all this time, but it did to me seem the elf's feathers were ruffled by your introducing of me as an old friend. Though I cannot think of what events prior contributed before the final straw.
>> No. 11935 edit
"Personally I would rather if we would depart now, unless someone needs to do something before."
Saying this, Sureiya faces Torinn. "Would you lend me that thing Sid gave us for a second?"
>> No. 11936 edit
>>11935
Torinn takes out the new and improved leyline tracker and hands it to Sureiya. "The sooner we leave, the better I think. Better chance to catch any enemies unawares with how quickly we arrive." Thought we still need a spyglass of some kind...
>> No. 11937 edit
Sureiya takes it, then he will look into the direction the leyline finder points, and look into the sky (if it's possible) seeing if any particularly big earthmote is in sight in that direction.
>> No. 11940 edit
File 130508734891.jpg - (136.27KB , 491x480 , 11125426_p0.jpg )
11940
Though Sureiya doesn't see anything other than large, rolling hills and cloudy skies on the horizon, the leyline-finding device Sid invented indicates there is a leyline to the southeast.
>> No. 11942 edit
"Need a spyglass?"
>> No. 11943 edit
Sureiya nods and tell the rest that he's going to look for one.
"Get ready in the meanwhile."
Look and buy a spyglass.
>> No. 11944 edit
File 129490478099.png - (257.40KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p5.png )
11944
"Um..." Malachi pipes up. When he has the attention of one or more of the adventurers, he bows and says, "If there's nothing else, I'll be going now. I wish you a safe journey." With that, the half-elf will return to his duties.

If you want to obtain a spyglass, you'll need to leave the temple and find a market.
>> No. 11947 edit
File 136533439580.jpg - (67.56KB , 1280x720 , karasu7b.jpg )
11947
Yalko's head flits from Torinn to face Sureiya as the latter operates "that", and the kenku is still, aside from the movements of his beady eyes, perhaps visible on close inspection under the round cuts of his hood.

Answering Malachi first with a caw, he follows with a bow while adding, "...thank you, Malachi, I think that will be all. It looks as if we are prepared, aside from our bearings. Tell Lady Kava that I am grateful for her direction."
>> No. 11953 edit
File 129797399880.png - (85.34KB , 291x478 , kan_majimea37.png )
11953
Sureiya nods and thanks Malachi as well, asking something before leaving.
"Oh actually, could ya show me where the market is?"
>> No. 11955 edit
File 129910793379.png - (253.80KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p2.png )
11955
"Of course," Malachi replies to Yalko, bowing. In response to Sureiya's query, he points down a street to the south, which looks quite crowded from Sureiya's vantage point--it is lined with buildings that look like they were put together rather hastily despite being brick and mortar, and in the distance Sureiya can see flaps that indicate stall-type structures on the roadsides. Once Sureiya enters the market district, he has no trouble tracking down a spyglass for 4 gp.
>> No. 11956 edit
"When he returns, we should prepare to leave as well."
>> No. 11958 edit
File 130162151469.png - (84.98KB , 291x478 , ka2_fumana66.png )
11958
After an uneventful travel, Sureiya returns with the rest, handling the spyglass to Torinn.
"So, are you guys ready to leave? We should pick up the griffons already."
>> No. 11960 edit
File 136542262256.jpg - (49.48KB , 1280x720 , karasu15.jpg )
11960
After glancing at the other party members, Yalko responds. "Griffons...?"

Yalko has the following spells prepared:
Level 1 At-Will: Winged Horde
Level 1 Daily: Horrid Whispers
Level 1 Encounter: Illusory Obstacles
Level 2 Utility: Shield
Level 3 Encounter: Maze of Mirrors
Level 5 Daily: Visions of Avarice
Level 6 Utility: Familiar's Call
Level 7 Encounter: Charm of the Defender

>> No. 11963 edit
File 129875666734.png - (15.61KB , 217x157 , thatsthejoke.png )
11963
Sureiya chuckles.
"Yeah, how did you expect us to reach the earthmotes? You know, they are unpopular for a reason."
>> No. 11964 edit
File 136545049085.jpg - (33.71KB , 1280x720 , karasu13.jpg )
11964
"Nobody informed me of the mode by which we would be traveling." Yalko peers around briefly, before gesturing his open hand forward in the direction of the half-orc. "To make things clear, despite appearances, I cannot fly," he adds, his speech becoming slower, and slightly raised. "Nor do I have a griffon handy."
>> No. 11966 edit
"Oh come on, I'm not as stupid to think that."
"... those beasts are quite strong, and they should be able to carry two guys, but coincidentally we got one extra griffon now. Should we leave already? A long trip awaits us."
>> No. 11967 edit
File 136547146497.jpg - (80.94KB , 1280x720 , karasu6.jpg )
11967
>>11966
"Your short-tempered friend left without her ride?" Yalko looks to Myn before addressing the rest of the group. "I have been prepared for a while, so if everyone is ready, we can depart. Where are these griffons, Sureiya? I hope they don't mind switching riders."
>> No. 11974 edit
Sureiya meditates about what he just said and replies. "I didn't see walk her to the stables, but it would be crazy to return walking. Anyway, I don't think Myn would mind traveling close to you" says the orc with a smirk, while he motions the rest to walk to the stable.
>> No. 11975 edit
File 136553609265.jpg - (81.83KB , 1280x720 , karasu10c.jpg )
11975
Yalko nods. "In that case, we can save our discussion until after we confirm their number. Otherwise, Myn, I'm likely lighter to bear than any of your other companions." With that, he begins walking in the direction the half-orc indicated. "Nor did I have any experience of riding griffons in the first place."
>> No. 11976 edit
File 130101422990.png - (318.54KB , 486x800 , 11125426_p1.png )
11976
With that, the group leaves the temple and heads for the stables.
>> No. 11982 edit
Once in the stable, Sureiya will count the griffons and looks for the one he took before.
>> No. 11983 edit
As Sureiya begins looking over the griffons, he'll find that Sariel didn't take hers out: It's still there.

From behind the group, however, emerges a figure dressed in a half-way clerical, half-way military outfit, with a cloth headdress covering most of the figure's head. Long ears protruding from the holes on either side of the dress, alongside iris-less eyes reveal the man to be an eladrin. His dark-brown hair is lined with strands of silver-coloured hair, creating an effect of half-brown, half-silver hair.

The figure approaches the group at a slow pace, halting a respectable distance from them all.


"Greetings, travellers," he speaks, eyeing each of them in turn. "You are about to travel to the earthmote, yes? Forgive me, as I, ah..." he gestures at his long ears and smiles apologetically, "happened to overhear your conversation earlier. I must beg you to please consider allowing me to travel alongside you! I have, ah, a desire strong to be on that mote. These archons, you understand, they, ah... pique the interest."

The eladrin nods, and as he gets closer he adds, "I promise you I shan't be in your way. I know my way around magic... well, enough to ensure you I shall not be a burden to take along. Honest!" He looks at the group pleadingly.
>> No. 11986 edit
File 129645284625.jpg - (159.37KB , 299x352 , sakutarou_confused.jpg )
11986
Torinn was following behind Sureiya when the figure appeared. He's not sure what to make of them. It seemed awfully contrived for somebody to appear as soon as one of their party members left. This might be one of those unscrupulous untrustworthy types, so Torinn does his best to verify whether or not they can be trusted.

"Okay... Who are you and why are you here?"
>> No. 11987 edit
The eladrin smiles. "Ah, of course. My manners, I, ah, forgot. You understand, the response to my request overpowered all else for a moment!"

He clears his throat and, with a sweeping bow, introduces himself, "Call me Aghanim, historian. I come from the Grey Vale, intent on surveying the history of places high and low." With a nod towards the griffons, he adds, "More low than high, I regret, as I do not have, ah, 'wings' as you do."

Then, with some excitement, Aghanim continues, "Of course, I hope to see that changed, should you be willing to earnestly hear my plea! I simply must see to the earthmotes that float above the lands, especially that one with archons." He frowns for a moment. "Though I blabber on and on. Most terrible of me, Sir...?"
>> No. 11988 edit
>>11987
"Tormine."

Well that most certainly wasn't suspicious. Though holding a speech impediment against this person probably wouldn't do them any good. 'Keep your friends close and your enemies closer,' as they say. If he's a friend, no harm done, and if not, he'll be within slashing distance.

"A historian, huh? I suppose you can tag along," he relents, "Though you must understand we have our own reasons for going. If you will aid us, you can study the earthmote to your heart's content. But do not impede us."
>> No. 11989 edit
File 13091654769.png - (10.83KB , 200x200 , 154845675121.png )
11989
"...another Eladrin? So this place is actually filled with adventurers, huh?"
"You sure are quite brave for a historian. But I won't complain, as our new teammate (if you allow it) is also in the trip for curiosity or something. Could you prove us somehow that your skills and intentions are as good as you claim they are?"
>> No. 11990 edit
File 136533439580.jpg - (67.56KB , 1280x720 , karasu7b.jpg )
11990
After observing the griffons along with Sureiya, Yalko turns to the face the eladrin, but at first remains silent. Once Torinn offers a place in the party, the kenku briefly glances up at him and opens his beak, before closing it again and lowering his gaze as Sureiya continues on. Finally, he interjects.

"I am hardly in a position to voice complaints about the circumstances here, but we have the practical matter of our flight to consider." Shifting forward, he removes his hood, and the crosses his arms. "Having overheard us, you should know there are only so many of these." Yalko nods to the same griffin as the eldarin had earlier. If then you want are to join us, so as not to convenience the rest, I say you will be sharing your wings with me, mister Aghanim. Are we agreed?"
>> No. 11991 edit
Aghanim smiles wryly. "My skills, ah, they are difficult to show, understand? The magic I work is... subtle." He taps the side of his head with the long staff he's carrying--gently. "I could use them, but then one of you would have to subject themselves to it; I warrant, not a situation you should be keen to be in, no matter how powerful I might be."

To Yalko, Aghanim nods, saying, "That would be reasonable, fine sir! I assume Sir Tormine is the leader of this expedition, though?"
>> No. 11992 edit
File 136568273617.jpg - (50.15KB , 1280x720 , karasu20.jpg )
11992
>>11991
"To paraphrase another, mister Tormine simply finds himself often filling that role. I wager in no small part due to his being amicable with strangers. Either way, I think he will find this trade acceptable."
>> No. 11993 edit
"I see no issue with the arrangement."
>> No. 11997 edit
"Wonderful!" Aghanim smiles warmly. "Then, Master Tormine, I shall be in the care of you and yours."
>> No. 11998 edit
Still not very sure, Sureiya decide to give the Eladrin a chance. Sariel showed him some people will use their arcana powers for the good as well.
"Very well, it seems we could use some help here, but if you accept to come, you have to understand anything could happen once we arrive there."
>> No. 12001 edit
File 136338675954.png - (52.06KB , 320x835 , griffon.png )
12001
Perhaps to their surprise, it seems that Sariel has not taken one of the griffons. Therefore, each adventurer has their own griffon, except for Yalko and Aghanim, who share one. One of the two will command the griffon, while one will need to be a passenger.

It seems that the temple and lady Kava have arranged for the stablekeeper's payment, as he does not request any from the adventurers and lets them know that it was on behalf of the Order of Blue Fire. With that, the now-party-of-six takes to the skies on their new mounts.

The griffons seems quite well-adapted to flight, and follow commands faithfully and intuitively. Even those not well-trained in riding are able to keep their griffons on course with ease. They are a little smelly up close, but that can't really be helped. In any case, your best information places the largest earthmote to the southeast, so that is perhaps a good place to start looking.
>> No. 12002 edit
Torinn finds riding comes naturally to him, and secures himself in the seat. Before they move out too far, however, he exchanges the spyglass with Sureiya for the leyline tracker, saying, "You keep a lookout for our destination, alright? I'll watch the tracker." Finally he spurs his mount in the direction indicated and has it take flight. He hovers for a moment, then zips off towards their destination, hopefully with the others following closely behind!

Last edited at 13/04/13(Sat)17:34
>> No. 12004 edit
File 136596309956.png - (45.54KB , 234x280 , kanon_derp_gogo.png )
12004
Doing his best not to look down, Sureiya instead attempts to focus in grabbing tightly his griffon and giving a glance to the leyline locator from time to time.
>> No. 12007 edit
File 129910793379.png - (253.80KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p2.png )
12007
>>12006
New thread!
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [First 100 posts]


Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason