[Burichan]  [Futaba]  [Nitronet]  [nitroib4f]  -  [WT]  [Home] [Manage]
We're back!

[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [First 100 posts]
Posting mode: Reply
Post a Reply
Audio 01_-_Bustle_of_the_Capital.mp3 - (6.82MB , 01 - Bustle of the Capital.mp3 )
2419 No. 2419 edit
Waterdeep. The City of Splendors sharply contrasts the patchwork-style Baldur's Gate in appearance, though its heart seems similar. Your ship passes through a large sea gate and heads north, towards a busy, bustling port. The mid-morning sun illuminates the dock ward quite thoroughly, and a collection of white-washed wooden, single-story buildings lines the dock streets. The docks themselves are thick, brown timber, and look to be very well-maintained. There are a large scattering of different ships already docked here, and yours pulls towards one of the empty docks. The roads themselves are orange-tinted cobblestone, and quite clean considering the massive bustle of various humanoids clogging them.

As your ship enters the docks, you may notice a walled-off waterway to the northwest, above which peeks a few broken masts and a thick-looking fog. The sailors seem to pay that area no mind, and are much more concerned with getting the ship docked. The merchants emerge from below deck, one by one, over the course of a few minutes, and one of them, the halfling, carries a few bags of coin.

"Thank yas kindly for the escort, adventurers. Who knows what would've happened without yas? Here's yer payment," he thanks you, handing you each a bag containing 300 GP.

With that, the adventurers, Gourmert, and the merchants disembark, and the merchants take their stacks of goods with them as they head out into the bustling city. The first thing you might notice is that unlike the makeshift construction of Baldur's Gate, Waterdeep has a much more ordered, uniform style of construction. Most of the buildings at the dock ward look the same, with the one-story buildings closer to the docks, and the buildings gradually increasing in height as your vision leads further north. To the northwest is the famous Mount Waterdeep, which dominates the western horizon, and the eastern horizon is likewise dominated by a much longer, yet not as high plateau. These two formations encase the city itself along the seaside, and the river lies to the west beyond Mount Waterdeep. It would appear that river boats and sea boats share the same docks of the dock ward city district.

Gourmert nods at you, and says, "Whelp, we'd better start makin' some quiet inquiries. No need tae leave tha dock ward, as I reckon our ferry's already here, waitin' for us. It's just a matter of findin' it."

A Streetwise check would be handy here, to start asking around and finding the river-ferry the duke has certainly requisitioned for you. A successful History check could also provide a circumstance bonus.
Expand all images
>> No. 2420 edit
File 130420541920.jpg - (23.61KB , 120x158 , mb9.jpg )
2420
"Thank you, Mr. Merchant."

There must be some rich history etc here, especially behind the suspiciously foggy waterway ... but I can't recall any.

where are we http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3010522/
>> No. 2421 edit
File 130456574185.png - (32.14KB , 200x200 , knightarou color.png )
2421
Torinn graciously accepts the reward offered by the merchant, "And thank you for letting us travel with you."

At Gourmert's inquiry, Torinn tries to get his bearings. So where is their ferry? He takes a moment to look around and tries to recall something he heard about this place. One of the crew pointed something out that should have helped him with where to begin looking...

"We might find something if we ask over there."

Where are we now? History check: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3010526/ (10)
Share whatever I know with the party
Where should we go? Streetwise check: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3010533/ (14)

>> No. 2423 edit
File 130026940684.png - (84.84KB , 291x478 , ka2_nayamua43.png )
2423
Sureiya receives his payment and thanks the halfling for the job. Then he gets a strange feeling, apparently Waterdeep is not that mysterious for him, he probably visited or read about it some time ago. If he wasn't that shy maybe he could find the ferry.
History and Streetwise checks: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3010775/
Suddenly, Sureiya becomes useful.

>> No. 2427 edit
File 130162151469.png - (84.98KB , 291x478 , ka2_fumana66.png )
2427
"Waterdeep ... I have visited this place once."
>> No. 2428 edit
File 130464524671.png - (1.32MB , 526x1350 , waterdeepmap.png )
2428
History: (DC 10) Waterdeep has for centuries been a bustling, open market of free trade and tolerance. In the days past, Waterdeep sported a mounted force known as the Griffon Cavalry, which patrolled the skies above Waterdeep, and the City Navy. Both of these units were dissolved in the years following the Spellplague, with the warships scuttled and the griffons long dead. The city guard and watch used to be separate units divided against external and internal threats, but the absence of the city guard and the influx of refugees fleeing the Spellplague has forced both to combine into a single City Watch, which now boasts impressive numbers that guard nearly every city corner with eight or more soldiers.

Streetwise: (DC15) (success on History gives you a +2 circumstance bonus to the Streetwise check) Waterdhavians are largely a tolerant and law-abiding people. Visitors to the city are often surprised to learn that racial tensions are largely absent in the City of Splendors. This is no more apparent than in the selection of the city’s quasi-independent Magisters ("Black Robes"). This quorum of city judges recently welcomed a tiefling into its ranks with the appointment of Kylynne Silmerhelve.

In the adventurers' search of the Dock Ward, they find the people here are somewhat rough around the edges--clearly working class, and not afraid to tell you if they don't like you. They're loud, rude, and easily annoyed. With that said, Torinn and Sureiya are able to find enough exceptions to this rule to find out that someone's been prepping a river ferry bound for Many-Arrows. Though they seem a bit hesitant to talk about exactly who it is, you are pointed towards the west end of the docks, just east of the Mistvale. Here, you find a goggles-wearing gnome in grease-stained work clothes sitting atop a small-sized river ferry, a bit distant from the other river boats.

The ferry itself is largely a flat, wide, long piece of timber, carved into a smooth shape that's clearly only designed for a few passengers and no cargo. The most striking thing is that there doesn't seem to be any place for a captain or someone to steer the ferry. Instead, there is a collection of differently-colored gemstones embedded in the front of the boat, which glow with arcane energy of some sort. More of these gemstones line the sides of the boat, and the wood is painted in patterns that resemble ritual circles. This matches the peculiar sight the harbor-folk seemed apprehensive of... it might be your ticket to Mithral Hall.

The gnome doesn't seem to have notice you yet, and Gourmert seems content to let you make the first move.

Arcana to try and guess about the boat.
>> No. 2429 edit
File 129948718465.jpg - (62.86KB , 400x456 , georgepeek.jpg )
2429
Somewhat puzzled by the boat, Myn decides that the time is appropriate to test his summoning abilities, calling forth a small book imp to augment his knowledge as he ponders the workings of the vessel.


Summon book imp.
Arcana to try and guess about the boat: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3012037/

>> No. 2430 edit
File 130466399513.jpg - (17.31KB , 167x225 , Tinkergnome2.jpg )
2430
Myn: As far as you can tell, there are two kinds of magic active here. One spell steers the vessel, and one is for interface--it transmits commands psychically from the one interfacing with it to something else. The spells were probably designed to work in tandem, with magically commanding the vessel. In addition, at least one of the gemstones and probably several were designed to store commands for the spell.

The gnome wipes his brow, rises from fiddling with one of the gemstones, adjusts his goggles, and strokes his beard thoughtfully. His gaze wanders over to the adventurers and dwarf approaching him, and he calls out in greeting, "Hey! You keep aw--wait a tic, you guys... you're the ones here for my boat, aren't you?"

Gourmert strides forward confidently and engages the gnome in conversation, "Aye, tha we be. And ye are?"

The gnome pounds his chest proudly and looks up towards the sky, "Sid Silversprocket, at your service, mates."

Gourmert scratches his head before replying, "Hm, ye be from Baldur's Gate? I think I know ye."

"Of course you know me! There ain't a soul in Baldur's Gate who hasn't heard of the great arcane contraptions built by Sid Silversprocket of the Arcanimus!" Sid replies, sounding almost condescending. "Good thing I was in Waterdeep when the duke put in a call, or you'd be waiting all day for some dingy little raft! Instead, you have my S.S. Carpgristle 5000 to take yous all the way to Mithral Hall!" as he says this, he again looks at the sky and spreads his arms, as if announcing something very magnificent. "Fully automated, yes sirree! Already got a path set for yas, only stop a few times for ya'll to sleep. Probably best not to let it running when you're resting, even if it's perfectly safe. Don't need a crew for this rig, hah! It'll save us a ton of gold... in the long runs, anyway. So! What'dya think?"
>> No. 2431 edit
Sureiya stay in silent, amazed by the magical artifact.
>> No. 2432 edit
File 130467051454.jpg - (39.79KB , 233x172 , mb2.jpg )
2432
>>2430
"...It doesn't fly, does it? Like the other ship?"
>> No. 2433 edit
File 129911206091.jpg - (77.69KB , 242x365 , drapey.jpg )
2433
>>2430
"...How fast is this craft?"
>> No. 2434 edit
>>2430
"....Is this thing tested and confirmed as safe..?"
>> No. 2439 edit
Audio 24_-_Hey_Cid!.mp3 - (874.54KB , 24 - Hey Cid!.mp3 )
2439
"Deary dear," Sid replies to the bombardment of questions. "This boat's fast enough to get yas to Many-Arrows in 'bout two-and-a-half week's time. And dear heavens, no, it can't fly! What gave yas that idea? Flying boats? Lunacy!" then he finally turns to the warlord and replies in a steady voice, "Now, she's been tested for short distances, but not long. I assure you however, she's perfectly safe! Just trust ole Sid here to get yas through, right-o?"
>> No. 2440 edit
Almost three weeks?, I hate long trips
"Sir Gourmet, I'm ready whenever you are"
>> No. 2441 edit
File 130134336372.jpg - (74.08KB , 400x500 , i dunno.jpg )
2441
>>2439
"Good enough for me. You boarding soon?"
>> No. 2456 edit
File 130485372939.png - (45.24KB , 308x347 , 41b.png )
2456
>>2439
A nod. So flying ships are, thankfully, silly.

Insight check in hopes that Sid is being honest. http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3015207/
>> No. 2457 edit
File 129910793379.png - (253.80KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p2.png )
2457
"Good, good. Now that we've got that worked out, she's ready to set off as you are," Sid replies, stepping aside. "Good luck on yer journey now! And if yas ever need anything, give ole Sid a call."

Bernkastel: (Insight) You get the feeling the question about flying surprised the gnome, and made him a bit nervous. You're not quite sure why. He doesn't seem to be outright lying, but his talk of flying boats being silly seemed a bit forced.
>> No. 2460 edit
Sureiya stay his silent nature,however he can't deny he is a bit nervous about this thing.
>> No. 2461 edit
The shaman's companion explains Sid's attitude to her.

"Mr. Silversprocket, is it possible to manually pilot the ferry?"
>> No. 2462 edit
File 129490478099.png - (257.40KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p5.png )
2462
Sid thinks for a moment, then replies, "Well, ya COULD, if ya had some oars or something, and the magic was nonfuctional. ...Oh! Speaking of which," the gnome reaches into a side pouch, then produces a tube made for holding a scroll. "This is an old-fashioned summoning scroll, from before the Spellplague. They're getting quite rare these days. If something happens with the boat, ya can use this to summon me to ya and I'll have a look-see." With that settled, the gnome nods, and prepares to see you off.

OOC: All I need now before we set out is some sort of sleep/watch cycle from you guys, so work that out! Just a quick plan of who is sleeping and who is on watch, when. You'll all need to sleep, and the boat will stop at night to allow you to camp on the shore until dawn. You don't all have to sleep when camping, though. Someone should probably keep watch over the others.
>> No. 2478 edit
Whenever the sleep/watch cycle is brought up, I'll volunteer to sleep during the day to keep watch at night.
>> No. 2479 edit
File 12973979195.jpg - (65.64KB , 320x240 , 3george.jpg )
2479
>>2462

Myn reaches out and takes the scroll, smiling.

"Thank you for your assistance, Mister Silversprocket."
>> No. 2480 edit
Wait a second, fully automated? So we are in our own?
"Sir, and what about the return trip? Is the ferry already set to return in some days?"
>> No. 2484 edit
File 129909998322.png - (255.05KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p3.png )
2484
>>2480
The gnome regards the half-orc with a bit of surprise, "Ah, return? Well, it's not programmed for that. But don't worry, ya'll be at the Mithral Hall! The dwarves'll see to it you get back safe and sound."
>> No. 2485 edit
File 130248690692.png - (56.22KB , 330x443 , kan_nayamua74.png )
2485
"I see, well thank you very much sir, we will try to don't break your little toy"
>> No. 2488 edit
File 129909998322.png - (255.05KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p3.png )
2488
The gnome doesn't look too appreciative of his finely-crafted boat being referred to as a "toy," but he decides to let it slide as Gourmert and the adventurers board. Once on board, Myn has little trouble activating one of the gemstones, and the runes carved into the boat glow faintly as it begins to move on its own, pulling out of the docks before heading south, out of the sea-gates of the city proper and back out to sea.
>> No. 2491 edit
File 130508734891.jpg - (136.27KB , 491x480 , 11125426_p0.jpg )
2491
>>2489
Next part!
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [First 100 posts]


Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason