[Burichan]  [Futaba]  [Nitronet]  [nitroib4f]  -  [WT]  [Home] [Manage]
We're back!

[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [First 100 posts]
Posting mode: Reply
Post a Reply
File 131752239844.png - (848.33KB , 1069x675 , upperlevellibrary85.png )
5615 No. 5615 edit
With Sureiya's interference, the magic binding the dragon slowly dissolves and becomes as nothing. Freed from the binding magics, the dragon suddenly flares its wings outwards, and you become aware of the true majesty of its form.

It is covered in shining, silver scales that turn slightly purplish towards the tips. Its wings are curved, and tipped with a pair of talons as opposed to the usual single-talon-tipped wings of other dragons. Below its chin is sharp, pronounced frill that vaguely resembles a goatee, and running from the top of its head all the way down its back is a large, majestic frill, which is purplish near the body but turns to silver as it travels outward. Two long, smoothed horns go out and back from its head, and are tipped with black. Its eyes are a solid green with black pupils, vaguely cat-like and blinking rapidly. It smells faintly of rain.

As it regains its senses, it twitches its head from side to side erratically, before sputtering in common, "Wh-what happened?"
Expand all images
>> No. 5616 edit
Sariel sends a deathy glare at the Ranger, playing with the idea of conjuring her magical hand... but the dragon demands her attentions elsewhere.

"Greetings, dragon Halvangh," she says solemnly, hiding any trace of her irritation with Sureiya... as best as she can, "I fear the answer to that may be too arrogant for me to spew."

Her pointed glare at the half-orc means she thinks him just the right sort to brag about foiling the attempt on Halvangh's life.
>> No. 5617 edit
File 131752287365.png - (60.16KB , 290x295 , kan_odorokia45.png )
5617
Forgetting the tough act from some seconds ago, and impressed by the dragon magnificence, Sureiya fall in one knee, and not even trying to stand up first, he mutters
"I-is your name Halvang? We come in a mission to talk with you. Some guys from a strange cult were trying to break your mind and control you."
>> No. 5618 edit
Audio 35_-_Recollection.mp3 - (2.90MB , 35 - Recollection.mp3 )
5618
"The cult, yes... it's coming back to me now," the dragon replies, shaking his head briefly then assuming a more dignified pose. "Right, they have really made a mess of things. Am I to understand that you have saved me?"
>> No. 5619 edit
Torinn dismounts from the horse, unbothered by the dragon being, well, a dragon. "That we are. We were sent here to ask for your assistance."
>> No. 5620 edit
Sariel crosses her arms, content for now with the half-orc. "We fought the Cult," the Eladrin agrees, "but I cannot say for certain that our efforts are solely the credit to our current situation.

"If anything, though, the greatest credit to these efforts fall to the shoulders of the Dragonborn and Half-Orc here."

The Warlock, who draws his powers from others, is clearly not a running candidate for Slayer of Dragons.
>> No. 5621 edit
File 131752477832.png - (693.17KB , 1069x675 , upperlevellibrary86.png )
5621
The dragon looks to the group one by one, then casts his gaze around his own room, apparently distraught by the mess. Books are scattered across the ground in front of many of the bookshelves, and the books still on their shelves are in a state of upheaval. There is even an upturned vase in one corner of the room.

"I see! I thank you, heroes, for your valor, then. I am Halvangh, also called Halvangh the Finder. I am afraid I possess little in the way of material rewards which I can offer you, but instead let me offer you my help. I ask of you, what did you come to this tower seeking? Did you come merely to free me, or have you some other purpose?"
>> No. 5622 edit
Sariel glances at the others. What reason did they have for questing here? She, herself, had undertaken the journey under the guise of a pursuit of knowledge... and she ill felt pressed to reveal she was simply worried for her old comrades.

"I came seeking knowledge," the Eladrin says. "A great deal of the arcane is still obscure to me. I was hoping you could grant me perspective."
>> No. 5623 edit
"We were sent here on a matter of grave importance. We need to find a dangerous person, and we were told you had the means to do so."
>> No. 5624 edit
File 131752594194.png - (33.78KB , 128x128 , silver.png )
5624
"Knowledge? Of the arcane?" Halvangh looks quizzical for a moment, then raises one of his claws and snaps them together with a clacking sound. A small poof of smoke later, a somewhat over-sized, dusty tome appears in the adult dragon's grasp, flipping open abruptly. With his free forearm, the dragon pulls a pair of... what appear to be reading glasses from the tome and puts them on his head, adjusting them over his eyes as if he were an elderly human. He sits on his rear claws slightly and begins to thumb through the book before him, then addresses Sariel, "I have some knowledge of the arcane. How can I assist?"
>> No. 5625 edit
File 129490478099.png - (257.40KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p5.png )
5625
"Ah, you came seeking my services in locating someone?" Halvangh replies apparently more interested now. He closes his book and refocuses his gaze on the dragonborn. "Hmm, it has been some time since I've met one of your kind. Tell me, how fares the nation of the dragonborn, Tymanther?"
>> No. 5626 edit
>>5617
Even with the radiance and astounding features of the dragon, Michael tries to keep his cool and hide how amazing the dragon seems and says in response to Sureiya mentioning the cult,"Yes.. The cult of the dragon those idiots called themselves. After entering the tower and fighting some constructs, who I assume are yours, we ran into some of them and some evil fel dragon or something, which we dealt with easily.. Unfortunately, most of your tower has been ransacked by them it seems, and we eventually made it up to fight some sort of.. what was it called again.. dracolich or something? Before getting rid of this fool here trying to do the ritual on you, babbling about dragons ruling the world or something..." [i]Michael finishes as he gestures to the eldarin lying dead on the ground.
>> No. 5627 edit
Sariel decides to hold quiet and let the Dragonborn engage in parley. Instead, she joins the Shaman at the Eladrin's body, poking through it with her magic to search the body for anything of interest.
>> No. 5628 edit
File 131344653439.png - (23.17KB , 187x220 , sakutaro_glare.png )
5628
>>5627
>>5626
Trying to draw attention away from the looting, Torinn gives Bernkastel and Sariel a stern look before engaging the dragon in conversation again. "Yes, Tymanther, last I saw it, was slowly building allies but hadn't established much trade. We still strive, though." Torinn grimaces, "And, unfortunately, my clan is unwelcome there at the moment."
>> No. 5629 edit
File 129909998322.png - (255.05KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p3.png )
5629
>>5626
"Ah, yes, those cultists have really made a mess of things," the silver dragon replies, sounding a bit disappointed. "I imagine it will take me some time to get stock of things and put everything back in order. My collections of literature have likely been ransacked, by the fools looking for obscure rituals or something... as if I left anything out in the open where it could be easily looted." The dragon looks back to his book and opens it once more, saying, "With that said, if it's a person you are looking for, I may be able to assist. Perhaps you could begin by describing this someone in more detail?"

Sariel finds something magical on the deceased cultist--a set of +2 Irrefutable cloth armor (Adventurer's Vault). It's woven cloth, but glitters with a purplish metallic sheen.
>> No. 5630 edit
Sariel deftly proceeds with disrobing the corpse.
>> No. 5631 edit
>>5629
"We need to find the Fell King. We don't know what he looks like, but he has strong ties to the Shadowfell and many followers."
>> No. 5632 edit
File 130162151469.png - (84.98KB , 291x478 , ka2_fumana66.png )
5632
"Sir Halvang, I think our mission was to find a way to weaken or find the fell orc. Something nasty is happening in Baldur's Gate and in other cities as well, and we have reasons to believe the Fell King is behind it. Apparently they are trying to frame the many arrows, and the situation it's quite tense"
>> No. 5633 edit
File 131757129449.jpg - (20.19KB , 340x306 , Silver_dragon.jpg )
5633
Thankfully, underneath the magic robes the eladrin is still wearing a simple earth-colored tunic, which Sariel discovers when she strips off its clothing. In addition, she discovers a reagent pouch hidden under the robes, containing 300gp worth of alchemical compounds and powders.

Halvangh doesn't seem to notice the looting going on right under his nose. Instead, he addresses Torinn first, "I see. I'm glad to hear Tymanther is doing well, though it's unfortunate about your banishment. Nonetheless, given the nation's attitude towards dragons, I can't say that is surprising that they would outcast their own. As for this Fell King..." he switches his gaze between Sureiya and the dragonborn, and elaborates, "I understand the gravity of the situation, though if I am to track this fell orc down, I will need some more information. Perhaps you could explain to me the full details of your assignment?"
>> No. 5634 edit
File 129946870751.png - (217.59KB , 480x640 , fiery.png )
5634
>>5633
Torinn grins mirthlessly, "It's not that simple, but my troubles are not something I wish to trouble you with." The dragonborn sighs and takes a deep breath before launching into an explanation, "We were sent here on behalf of the Duke, and told more about this place by someone named Valanor, who seemed to be acquainted with you. Our mission was to find a scrying ritual to locate this 'Fell King' so we could take the fight directly to him and see what his next moves are. Failure to stop him would, at the very least, lead to a war between the nations and the Many-Arrows. Their tie to this is due to us finding an insignia of theirs on a group that was attacking caravans outside Baldur's Gate. When we investigated further, we were led into the mountains and attacked by a fell orc who summoned a fell dragon, who 'fell' quickly enough that the caster turned tail and ran. A rogue that traveled with us, a half-orc who was part of the Many-Arrows, mentioned that the fell orc summoner was related to the Dragonsworn clan, whom, if I recall, were rather notorious. We traveled to Many-Arrows and met with Obould Many-Arrows, who gave us his blessings and promised to work with us to find the root of the problem. However, somebody attacked the leaders of the place we stayed at, leading me to believe that this 'Fell King's' network has influence in many different places."

Torinn suddenly grows more passionate in his speech as he continues, "Our choices were either to bring the fight to the Shadowfell itself, or to come find a ritual that would locate the Fell King. We chose to come here, but the Flaming Fist of Baldur's Gate chose to take the former in our absence. I do not know how they fare, but it was said to be extremely risky, which leaves me worried for the soldiers on the front lines." He gestures to the group, "So we, on behalf of Baldur's Gate, have come here to ask for your aid, Halvangh the Finder. For if the Fell King is not stopped, then the least that would happen is a pointless war between the nations and the Many-Arrows, all because of some shadowy tyrant who puts the lives of many people at risk for whatever his sick game is." The paladin grits his teeth, growling, "And if there is one thing I will not abide, that I despise more than cowardly thieves, more than evil dragons who seek to see us enslaved, it is a pointless war based on the deceptions and machinations of some craven coward who uses his influence to send soldiers to their death!"

It takes a moment for Torinn to remember where he is, lost in his rant. But he soon calms down, asking in a quiet, even tone, "It is because of this, Halvangh the Finder, that, on behalf of Baldur's Gate, and on behalf of all those who would otherwise be doomed to die in a tragic war, I humbly ask you: will you lend us your aid in our noble cause?"

Diplomacy roll for stirring, passionate speech : http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3203991/ (24)
>> No. 5637 edit
File 130298673897.png - (258.29KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p6.png )
5637
Halvangh seems a bit taken aback by one of the early things Torinn says. "V-Valanor? He's in Baldur's Gate?" The silver looks greatly distressed for a moment, then does his best to regain his composure, though his voice is still trembling somewhat. "I-I see. Dragonsworn. The involvement is that serious, huh? Tell me where I can begin to help, and I will. I will need a little more information on the Fell King before I can possibly track him down, though."
>> No. 5639 edit
>>5637
"So... I was curious once I found out you were a dragon.. How exactly do you and Valanor.. know each other, per se?"
>> No. 5642 edit
File 131759462990.png - (543.09KB , 933x886 , sak_a12 bothered 2.png )
5642
>>5637
"We don't know much more than we've already told you. He's managed to tap into the power of the elemental leylines to bridge a connection between here and the Shadowfell, which the aforementioned assault used as well."
>> No. 5643 edit
File 131752594194.png - (33.78KB , 128x128 , silver.png )
5643
Halvangh pauses for a moment, then answers carefully, "Valanor and I know each other because we both have ties to the Dragonsworn clan of orcs. I was sworn to Gallard of the dragonsworn, and Valanor once studied under Gallard. Many times, Valanor came to me to help him find his quarry... he is a hunter, you see. A slayer of dragons. Th-though I've only ever heard of him tracking down chromatics, he will hunt down and destroy any powerful dragon that escapes Returned Aebir in an attempt to gain power here in Faerun. He is... quite persuasive, and powerful, you see."

When Torinn mentions the leylines, Halvangh perks up a bit. "Ah, the elemental leylines! Scars of the Spellplague. If he is tapping into the leylines from the Shadowfell, it should be possible to use divination to find him." At this point, the silver dragon pauses, and flips open his book once more, as if frantically searching for something. He mutters, "...Though, working by myself, without Gallard, it would take quite some time. Perhaps you know of a large group of magicians that could assist me? Preferably led by someone who already understands the situation, of course."
>> No. 5645 edit
File 131759531794.png - (537.11KB , 933x886 , sak_a12 default 1.png )
5645
>>5643
"I'm certain the people of the Arcanimus in Baldur's Gate would be more than willing to work with you. And some of them are already well aware of the situation. In fact, without their help we wouldn't even be able to get in this tower, or have known about it in the first place."
>> No. 5647 edit
File 131005666672.png - (102.01KB , 213x284 , bern79.png )
5647
Shaking her head in disdain, the shaman finally gives up on the corpse. She magically wipes off bloodstains before addressing the silver dragon, notes in hand.

"Mr. Halvangh, Mr. Valanor has referred to you as one of the last sources of information on the Dragonsworn clan... remaining in Faerun?"

Meanwhile, the spirit companion joins the elemental spirit in glaring at the warlock.
>> No. 5648 edit
File 131760019763.jpg - (28.06KB , 198x208 , georgerabububblezoom.jpg )
5648
>>5647

Silently observing the discussion, Myn smiles quizzically at the spirits, as if to say 'didn't he die because of your reckless overinfusing?'.
>> No. 5649 edit
Sariel remains passive to the conversation, occupying herself with studying her ritual book, intent to refashion Talar's robes into something more suitable.
>> No. 5650 edit
File 129910793379.png - (253.80KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p2.png )
5650
"Oh? Well, it is certainly true that I know quite a bit about the Dragonsworn clan. I was the lifebond of Gallard of the Dragonsworn, after all," Havlangh says. He puts his book aside for a moment, and folds his foreclaws on the ground before him, resting into a laying position before the party. "What is it about the Dragonsworn you want to know?"
>> No. 5651 edit
Sariel finally turns at the mention of Gallard numerous, numerous times. A memory... she heard that before. "This Gallard," Sariel finally interrupts, "has a familiar name to me. I believe... yes, I'm sure Elayne mentioned him."

A mage hand appears to fetch the book and put it in her bag of holding. Sariel herself faces the dragon, looking at him square in the eye with impertinence.

"Dragon Halvangh, I would hear more of Gallard of the Dragonsworn."
>> No. 5655 edit
Audio 10_-_Distant_Promises.mp3 - (4.21MB , 10 - Distant Promises.mp3 )
5655
Halvangh nods. "Gallard was an orc mage of great power that served close to the side of Ragrim Dragonsworn, chieftain of the Dragonsworn clan. Ragrim... when Ragrim Dragonsworn fell in battle to Obould Many-Arrows, the Dragonsworn clan fell into disarray, and Gallard fled here, to Baldur's Gate. For a time, he worked closely with the mages of Baldur's Gate, and I worked alongside him, keeping to the shadows. The threat of invasion from the Underdark incited Gallard to build a tower underground, and he sealed it against all entry, though he secretly came and went from the tower at times. I have stood guard over the tower ever since. However, Gallard disappeared a few decades ago. He told me he felt something calling... something strange in the Spine of the World. I have not seen him since, as he charged me with keeping an eye on his tower, no matter how long it takes him to return."
>> No. 5656 edit
Sariel cocks an eyebrow.

"There is a discrepency," the Eladrin drawls, "as Lady Elayne knew a man named as Gallard... an Eladrin.

"Presumably, lord and master of this tower."
>> No. 5657 edit
File 131757129449.jpg - (20.19KB , 340x306 , Silver_dragon.jpg )
5657
"Ah," the dragon notes, nodding. "That's correct, he would have been known to the people of Baldur's Gate as an eladrin. Allow me to explain." Halvangh takes his book in one of his claws once more, and thrusts it before him pointedly. "As you may well know, we dragons are able to easily assume the guise of humanoids. As part of our bond with the Dragonsworn orcs, we shared the knowledge of how, and that knowledge survives to this day, in the form of a ritual that allows one to assume the shape of another humanoid for an indefinite duration," the dragon explains, "Though the effect is cosmetic only; and you cannot drastically alter your height and weight, and your various physical attributes and abilities remain unchanged. Gallard used this ritual to blend into the populace, as he believed that an eladrin would be more easily accepted than an orc, during those times."
>> No. 5658 edit
File 131363047554.png - (37.96KB , 153x260 , confuzzled_.png )
5658
>>5657
... Well, this conveniently explains... just about everything.

"Is it impossible to see through the guise?"
>> No. 5659 edit
The Eladrin blinks, then shrugs, seemly satisfied with the explanation. "Then, he traveled to research the elemental leyline at the Spine of the World, and disappeared since. A caster closely tied to a dragon, vanishing without trace.

"Thus. Attacks from the clan Gallard belonged to, the disappearance of a great caster and the emergence of a Fell King... curious events." By now, the Eladrin is moreso musing aloud, but then falls quiet, turning her thoughts to herself.
>> No. 5660 edit
File 129490478099.png - (257.40KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p5.png )
5660
"It is not impossible," Halvangh explains. "Though it would depend on the strength of the caster, at odds with the cleverness of the observer. And the observer would likely not suspect anything to be wrong unless it was made obvious."
>> No. 5661 edit
"You say he disappeared a few decades ago. Did you use any rituals to try and find him?"
>> No. 5662 edit
File 129909998322.png - (255.05KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p3.png )
5662
"Unfortunately, even with my most powerful scrying rituals, I wasn't able to find him," says Halvangh sadly. "But don't worry about finding the Fell King. We'll be using a different approach to find him... we'll use his connection to the leyline in order to bypass the normal restrictions on scrying."
>> No. 5663 edit
Sariel turns again. "Do you suppose it possible to scry for two people, either at once or in quick succession?"
>> No. 5664 edit
File 129674887945.jpg - (278.84KB , 600x799 , armslooklikedanglinglegs.jpg )
5664
>>5662
Torinn frowns, a troubling thought coming to him, "What restrictions would normally be on such rituals? Would it be impossible to normally scry on somebody who is, say, within the Shadowfell?"
>> No. 5665 edit
File 130023680217.png - (254.91KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p4.png )
5665
"Scrying... for two people?" Halvnagh seems mystified by the question. "Conventional scrying, as in simply looking in on a person, is nearly impossible these days and requires a very powerful ritual. Even then, it is limited to a single plane only. When I attempt to "find" someone, I usually look for details of places they might have been, people they have been in contact with, and objects they might be seeking or have possessed, and work backwards using divinations and locate objects. In the case of the Fell King... well, it's better to see what the mages of the Arcanimus are working on first."
>> No. 5666 edit
>>5665
"Nothing so complex; I was hoping to find someone unrelated to all these matters." Sariel shakes her head, then with renewed interest asks, "So, then, what details do you require to locate the Fell King?"
>> No. 5667 edit
File 129910793379.png - (253.80KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p2.png )
5667
"True, pinpointing his location cross-plane directly would be impossible," Halvangh says, crossing his front claws once more. "However, what we will be searching for is a connection to the elemental leyline in the Shadowfell. Once we have that located, we will try and find where it is being tapped into in the Shadowfell, in particular, the strongest 'bite' on the hook, so to speak." The dragon holds up a claw and scratches his chin thoughtfully, "It is likely to be an involved process, requiring a great deal of setup. That is why I will need the help of many others to accomplish this. But it is well. Gallard was interested in the leyline as well." With that, the silver dragon rises to his feet, looking more sure of himself than before. "I believe I can be of more service to Gallard in assisting you in this matter than watching over this tower. If anything, it is my presence here that drew the attention of the Cult of the Dragon. Once I have repaired the tower's arcane defenses, I'll be fully ready to assist the Arcanimus in their efforts."
>> No. 5668 edit
"One more thing," Sariel interjects. "At the start, I admitted to a quest for arcane knowledge. Will we be able to discuss at length your knowledge, insofar you can share it, in the interim?"
>> No. 5669 edit
>>5665
Torinn nods, wringing his hands, "Well, I also have a personal request : if at all possible could I help myself to some of the epics on the bookshelves downstairs? I do enjoy a good story." What Torinn does not request is help finding a certain stolen item. That could wait until later.
>> No. 5670 edit
File 131760946769.png - (735.97KB , 1069x675 , upperlevellibrary87.png )
5670
"I am unsure that you would find me a good teacher," Halvangh admits, "But I can add some of my literature to the Arcanimus, to allow you to study as you please. If you have specific questions, I may be able to answer them." To Torinn, the dragon says, "Of course, you may borrow a number of the books. I should be departing this tower for a time anyway. Just be careful with them."
>> No. 5671 edit
File 131760978037.png - (38.58KB , 151x204 , flip.png )
5671
And then there's that other thing.

"Mr. Halvangh, were you acquainted with a Ragrim Dragonsworn?"
>> No. 5672 edit
File 129909998322.png - (255.05KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p3.png )
5672
Halvangh's expression changes to a gravely serious one. "I knew him well, yes."
>> No. 5673 edit
>>5672
"Understood." At the shaman's query, Torinn adds, "What can you tell us about him?"
>> No. 5674 edit
File 131761042231.png - (15.19KB , 105x105 , bern123.png )
5674
>>5672
"Until today, we had thought he disappeared, as with the Dragonsworn Clan itself ... but we've just learned that Ragrim Dragonsworn really fell in battle. Did the same fate befall his tribespeople?"
>> No. 5675 edit
Audio 13_-_Memoria_de_la_S^tona.mp3 - (1.39MB , 13 - Memoria de la S^tona.mp3 )
5675
"Ragrim's tale is a sad one, but I will tell you what I know," Halvangh says sagely. "Ragrim Dragonsworn was chieftain of the Dragonsworn clan, last of his line. He was a powerful and wise leader, but perhaps a bit unwilling to take decisive action. He and his people dwelt in the foothills of the Spine of the World, near the outskirts of the Luruar region. Occasionally, they came into contact with humans, though there were very few conflicts. Indeed, Ragrim ordered his people to leave the human settlements alone, and for the most part, they lived side-by-side under a somewhat uneasy peace. Ragrim continued the Dragonsworn tradition, and most of the lineages within the clan had a guardian dragon, to which they share a relationship known as a lifebond. The dragons and orcs lived side by side in such a state for a long time, though the humans were unaware of the presence of the dragons."

Halvangh looks away briefly, then continues, "Unfortunately, when Obould Many-Arrows began to unite the clans, he deemed the traditions of the Dragonsworn a sign of weakness and if that wasn't enough... well, apparently, Ragrim Dragonsworn had a human wife. Though they did not live together, they had many secret meetings, though Obould became aware of this. Ragrim held fast to the traditions of the Dragonsworn, provoking Obould into absorbing the clan by force. The now-exarch of Gruumsh was far too ferocious to overcome, even for the dragons, and the dragons were scattered, and many of the orcs killed. Ragrim himself attempted to stop Obould in single combat, but was slain, and what remained of the clan either escaped to the wilds or was absorbed into the other clans that had already united with the new nation of Many-Arrows."

"The current king of Many-Arrows is a descendant of that Obould-who-is-Gruumsh," the silver dragon says flatly. "I don't know much of the current status of the remnants of the clan, but I wonder what the current King Obould would do if he found out such remnants existed."
>> No. 5677 edit
File 130619839991.png - (3.51KB , 56x106 , bern127b.png )
5677
... ?? This isn't adding up.

"Mr. Halvangh, did you... or anyone else witness Mr. Dragonsworn's last moments?"
>> No. 5678 edit
File 131757129449.jpg - (20.19KB , 340x306 , Silver_dragon.jpg )
5678
Halvangh seems confused by the question. "Erm... I didn't, personally, no. Obould the first did, and as for anyone else... I don't know that. I heard of the event second-hand. Why do you ask?"
>> No. 5679 edit
File 131415489278.jpg - (34.10KB , 140x140 , mb11.jpg )
5679
>>5678
"...Second-hand, yet no known witnesses? Did someone simply speculate the event's outcome?"
>> No. 5680 edit
File 130023680217.png - (254.91KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p4.png )
5680
"From what I understand, there WERE many orc spectators," Halvangh goes on. "But the two fell into a chasm during the fight. Only Obould ever emerged, covered in blood, claiming victory over Ragrim." Halvangh considers for a moment, then says, "I suppose it is conceivable that Ragrim did not actually die, but he would have died of old age by now. And why would he have never returned to his clan, or at least to his wife, Cordelia, afterwards? Perhaps... perhaps if he was with her, she would have escaped death years later, when the village in which she lived was burned to the ground." The dragon shakes his head, "Despite how things turned out, he did love her. I do not think he would have abandoned her."
>> No. 5681 edit
File 131671563965.jpg - (178.47KB , 458x487 , I don\'t believe this.jpg )
5681
"...About how far away from Many Arrows was this village? Was it, perhaps, along the Surbin River?"
>> No. 5682 edit
File 129819442072.png - (41.57KB , 161x272 , ~.png )
5682
Okay, so... when the two fell into the chasm, Ragrim Dragonsworn shoved Obould Many-arrows into a one-way portal to the shadowfell, disguised himself as Mr. Many-arrows, and climbed out of the chasm; Mr. Dragonsworn became the first chieftain, while the real Obould Many-arrows went on to become the Fell King. ... Then again, maybe none of this happened. It would be a simpler story if it had been Mr. Dragonsworn who visited the Shadowfell.

No, first things first.


"Where did this duel take place? By chance, was it near any leylines or other such magical anomalies, conveniently located at the bottom of a chasm?"
>> No. 5683 edit
File 129909998322.png - (255.05KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p3.png )
5683
"Well, actually, Cordelia lived in a village further to the east, originally," Halvangh considers, then goes on to say, "But sometime after the Spellplague, I am to understand she did move to a village along the Surbin river, which was the one in which she perished. A curious question, though, I must ask why you ask that?"

To the shaman, the dragon shakes his head. "I'm afraid I don't have those details. I was during the year in which the Spellplague began its onslaught, and there was much chaos and upheaval in the world at the time."
>> No. 5684 edit
File 129953423667.jpg - (62.16KB , 197x207 , SHOCK.jpg )
5684
>>5683
"That would be because we went by there when we traveled to Many-Arrows by boat. A ruined village, where some interference caused our magically propelled craft to stop. And sitting in the back was an enormous elemental leyline. We subdued it, but it would probably be a trifle for somebody to undo what we did."

Torinn scratches his head, "Seems these things all tie together somehow. And not in a good way."
>> No. 5685 edit
File 130681880789.jpg - (33.09KB , 145x170 , k04b.jpg )
5685
Oh well.

The shaman rummages through the bag of holding, and pulls out the pendant she received from the probably-a-dragon.


"The truth is, Mr. Valanor lent us this talisman, asking us to show it to you."
>> No. 5686 edit
Audio 46_-_Despair_(Memoro_de_la_S^tono).mp3 - (2.24MB , 46 - Despair (Memoro de la S^tono).mp3 )
5686
Halvangh thinks on what Torinn says for a moment, then says, "Well, if the elemental leyline popped into place, there, it must have happened after the village was burned. Such a thing did not exist there when it was attacked."

Upon seeing the talisman, Halvangh stiffens a bit, then says in a serious tone, "I see. Valanor has given you the talisman of Ragrim Dragonsworn... so he considers the matter a serious one. Well, I'd better do as he says."

Strands of silvery energy form around Halvangh, and the dragon melts its form into an average-looking human male with black hair, brown eyes, and silvery robes. His hair is cut short, and the collar of the robe is vaguely purplish. The cuffs are white, and the boots beneath the robes are brown. He carries no visible weapon or implement. His face has a black, well-groomed mustache. He nods to you, and says, "It will be easier to travel as this, though I will answer any other questions you might have before we go." He picks up his book as an afterthought, and tucks it under his arm.
>> No. 5687 edit
"Let's just go." Sariel eyes around the room one last time, before settling her gaze on Halvangh. "Do you happen to have a more convenient mode of transport, or do we walk?"
>> No. 5689 edit
Finally releasing his grasp on the enormous aura he had been maintaining, Myn's posture droops in fatigue.

"...indeed, some manner of teleportation circle would be most welcome."
>> No. 5694 edit
File 130420653277.png - (54.37KB , 517x300 , peek.png )
5694
"One more thing, Mr. Halvangh. When was the last known event the first Obould Many-Arrows performed a miracle, or used his power as an exarch?"
>> No. 5697 edit
File 129490478099.png - (257.40KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p5.png )
5697
Halvangh seems surprised at the question, and seems lost in thought for several seconds. He then replies, "Hard to say... not all divine actions become famous. I believe the current ruler, Obould XVII claims that the exarch empowered his efforts to re-unite the warring clans during their last civil war. But as for actual manifestations of the exarch on this plane, I can't recall any."
>> No. 5702 edit
File 129610171245.png - (84.95KB , 291x478 , kan_fumana3.png )
5702
Impressed by the conversation and by the dragon magic girl transformation, he feel a bit lost, as if he couldn't manage to understand this many information in such a short time. However something was really bugging the ranger so far, so he thought it was a good time to ask about it
"Excuse me Sir Halvang, when we just got inside of the tower some powerful dolls and giants attacked us, however the guys from the cult didn't seem to be worried about any trap inside of this place. Were all of the difficulties we encountered here planted by the cultists? If that's so maybe we shouldn't take them so lighty"
>> No. 5703 edit
File 129909998322.png - (255.05KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p3.png )
5703
Halvangh sighs and replies, "Ah, my automatons. I suppose the cultists somehow managed to sabotage them. Of course, I never had lethal traps set up in this tower, but I imagine the cultists did."

"However, it's not a far walk. If we can retrace your steps to one of the teleportation circles, I should be able to get us back to the entrance level with ease," he quickly assures.
>> No. 5704 edit
File 129721828313.png - (88.86KB , 291x478 , kan_defa1.png )
5704
Noticing Halvong took it the wrong way, Sureiya quickly apologizes.
"No, that's not what I mean. But I'm actually amazed and scared of these guys work. Anyways, I'm more impressed by your transformation. I'm sure anyone who didn't know about you would be able to recognize you"
Sureiya quickly glares at the pendant and then continue: "Do you think someone else can attempt to try to do this? What if the Fell King had such ability and was hidden somewhere in this plane already?"
>> No. 5705 edit
File 129490478099.png - (257.40KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p5.png )
5705
"If the Fell King is already on this plane, he shouldn't be too hard to find," Halvangh comments. "You mentioned he was tapping into the power of an leyline to the Elemental Chaos. I have a great deal of experience with these leylines, and it will be easier to track down a disruption in this plane than one in the Shadowfell."
>> No. 5708 edit
File 129910793379.png - (253.80KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p2.png )
5708
With the group apparently ready to leave, Halvangh leads them back down the spiral staircase, over the illusionary stairs and to a teleportation circle. Halvangh masterfully re-arranges a few of the runes, and the circle transports them back to the entry hall. He moves to the control console, escorted by the party, and speaks the command word, "Cordelia." The console responds, and Halvangh nods, turning to the adventurers, "If everyone is ready to depart the tower, please take the teleportation circle out. I must remain behind a while longer to reset the tower's defenses, but I shall follow in short order." He nods to the room west of the disabled golems, wherein you arrived using the stepping disk. That's likely where the armored cultist has been this whole time, though with the circle active he's likely already departed.
>> No. 5709 edit
Sariel departs.
>> No. 5712 edit
File 129625045160.png - (26.45KB , 147x185 , diplomaticimmunity.png )
5712
Before heading down, Torinn quickly takes about a dozen books and carefully sets them in his bag of holding, mentally noting where they were on the shelf in case he returns. He follows behind the rest of the group, giving Halvangh a quick rundown of what he was borrowing. This would hopefully give him some reading material while he wasn't busy, lest he try to entertain himself by singing again.

When they teleport to the main floor, Torinn heads off on Rutger toward the door they went through to go upstairs. He forces it open and mentions to the group,
"I'm going to go collect that aggressor we managed to capture earlier. He should still be in this room." The dragonborn leads the horse through the expansive chamber, towards the back. Hefting the trapped cultist onto the back of the horse, he returns to the hallway, calling out, "He's still in here! Let's get this lowlife back to Baldur's Gate."

Finally, Torinn departs through the circle of teleportation.
>> No. 5713 edit
File 13177967769.jpg - (27.93KB , 640x267 , Baldur\'s_Gate_Enter.jpg )
5713
One by one, the group reappears outside the tower, finding themselves standing on the stepping disk, with the storage cube used to transport it lying nearby and two armored guards awaiting you. They appear to be ducal guards, based on the armor you say before, both dragonborn females. One has blue-colored scales, and the other a dull green.

Once all six arrive, the blue-scaled guard nods, and the green takes the storage cube, packing the stepping disc back inside. The blue-scaled guard addresses you, "Glad to see you've come back. Come, much has happened in the many long hours since you first entered the tower."

The green one chimes in, rising to her feet, "The duke suggested that you should visit either the Arcanimus, the ducal palace, or the Flaming Fist headquarters upon your re-entry to the city. We will escort you to the destination of your choice."

Well. So will you go to the Flaming Fist, the ducal palace, or the Arcanimus?
>> No. 5719 edit
"I'm going back to the Arcanimus," Sariel announces, eyeing the rest of the party. "What about you guys?"
>> No. 5720 edit
File 129788612424.png - (38.88KB , 208x207 , bobblehead.png )
5720
>>5719
"Same here. I want to hear what progress they've made and tell them we've found Halvangh."
>> No. 5721 edit
The Eladrin shrugs. "I didn't get to find what I was looking for, so I think this is where we part ways again."
>> No. 5722 edit
File 129490478099.png - (257.40KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p5.png )
5722
The dragonborn guards nod, and one says, "We'll guard you. Let's get moving."

There's not much to notice on the way out of the winding caverns and the sewers, but once you return to the main part of the city of Baldur's Gate, you notice that the populace hasn't filled the streets back up yet. They look every bit as deserted as when you departed for the tower, if not more so. The ducal guards escorting you don't say anything, and it's especially disturbing to see fewer members of the Flaming Fist patrolling the streets--indeed, it might be somewhat strange that you were met by members of the ducal guard rather than the Flaming Fist.

You are led to the Arcanimus in silence, and it appears to be as busy as ever. When you enter, you are approached by a tiefling female in black and red robes, who nods at the guards and tilts her head towards the central, spiraling ramp that leads to the top. "They're waiting for you," she says in a voice that is so quiet it could almost be a whisper. At the ground level, many mages are busy moving books from one location to another, and a handful are even copying books with magically-animated pens. A pixie mage is flying from location to location, watering the foliage with an endless water decanter.
>> No. 5726 edit
File 131788720549.jpg - (157.64KB , 600x600 , ork_schamane.jpg )
5726
When the group arrives at the top of the spiral, they are greeted by the sight of Elayne and another humanoid sitting atop lavish-looking purple couches, fitted around a low, clear glass table that hovers a short distance above the large, hovering, circular grass-covered platform. Above you is the domed ceiling of the Arcanimus, made of a material that almost looks like blue metal, but the dome itself appears like a starry sky, with planets and other celestial body slowly circling above. Elayne is wearing a set of modest light blue robes with a silvery trim, and the other humanoid has a more... tribal appearance.

The orc male is dressed in a thick fur coat below the waist, over chain leggings and the skull of a drake on the belt that holds the furs up. The boots are thick leather, probably from a mammoth or other large, thick-skinned creature that dwells in the mountains of the Spine of the World. His armbands are spiked with bone, and cuffed with metal. He does not have any sort of shirt, just leather bands connecting to a metal ring, supporting the hefty spiked shoulder-pads. Skulls and fangs line the necklace he wears, and his hair is long, black, and braided. He stares at you with an apprehensive expression.

"Ah, it's good to see you again," Elayne says as soon as she notices you. "High shaman Mardoc, these are the adventurers I was telling you of."

The orc's expression does not change, but he nods at the group slightly. "It is good to finally meet, face to face. You are the ones that met with King Obould, are you not?" The high shaman adjusts his gaze towards the table--it is covered with a small amount of open books, at least two of which seem to be ritual books, and a large map of north-west Faerun. Mardoc points at the Troll Hills--specifically, at the location of the elemental leyline. "I believe we have a lot to discuss. I'm almost certain now, with recent events, that this 'Fell King' is both responsible for the disturbances in the elemental leyline we have been feeling in the Spine of the World, and the plot to incite war against Many-Arrows."

Elayne looks away at this words, wearing an expression of pain. "I-indeed."
>> No. 5727 edit
File 130026940684.png - (84.84KB , 291x478 , ka2_nayamua3.png )
5727
"Yes, we did meet the King Obould, and we just returned from a mission from the Duke, we indeed have some stuff we need to report."
>> No. 5730 edit
File 129944752142.png - (24.46KB , 200x200 , well EXCUSE ME princess.png )
5730
>>5726
Torinn frowns. "Recent events? What happened while we were away?"
>> No. 5733 edit
File 130023680217.png - (254.91KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p4.png )
5733
Mardoc nods to Elayne, saying, "I think you'd best explain it. You were there, after all."

Elayne faces the adventurers and says in a hesitant voice, "The... the incursion into the Shadowfell did not go well. I don't know the details, though I do know it started well enough--for the first few hours, the Flaming Fist made progress in establishing a base camp on the other side of the portal." The eladrin picks up one of the books, and begins flipping pages idly, as if trying to take her mind off what she is saying, "But they were attacked by a rather large force of Shadar-Kai. The group appeared small at first, but more and more emerged from the shadows. I'm afraid I don't have the specifics, as those were the last reports I heard, before the Flaming Fist members changed their battle strategy to a full retreat, and screamed to shut the gate. We managed to seal it before any of the Shadowfell denizens crossed over, but..." Elayne closes her eyes and shakes her head sadly, "I'm afraid there were still people fighting on the other side when the portal closed. The Flaming Fist... most likely will be able to tell you the details."

The orcish high shaman looks to you quickly and says, "That's why we have to find this 'Fell King,'" he holds up his hand and makes a crushing motion, "and eliminate him. Before even more soldiers die because of him."
>> No. 5735 edit
File 130526666323.jpg - (51.18KB , 222x200 , dooooom.jpg )
5735
Torinn grits his teeth, biting back tears at the thought of so many brave people failing to return home.

"Understood. This cannot be allowed to continue."
>> No. 5739 edit
Audio 44_-_Sometime_Somewhere.mp3 - (1.64MB , 44 - Sometime Somewhere.mp3 )
5739
Elayne perks up a bit as she asks, "Oh, lest I become so absorbed in our affairs that I forget to ask you of yours, how did the excursion into Gallard's tower go? Were you able to find anything of use?"
>> No. 5740 edit
Sariel completely ignores anything that she wasn't party to.

"Nothing of interest there," she reports, "aside from some cultists who wanted to animate dead dragons to rule the world or something.

"No arcane books to be shared, and the dragon seems reluctant to even share his knowledge!" The eladrin throws up her hands dramatically. "Nothing at all! A wasted trip, all in all."
>> No. 5741 edit
>>5740
Shaken out of his concern by Sariel's outburst, Torinn rolls his eyes and adds, "We did get Halvangh to offer his aid, yes. He wishes to know more about what we know first, so please fill him in when he arrives."
>> No. 5742 edit
File 129910793379.png - (253.80KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p2.png )
5742
Elayne seems confused. "Dragon? Halvangh?"

Mardoc stares at you rather intently, but sits down once more.
>> No. 5743 edit
File 12982435576.jpg - (49.13KB , 512x512 , decoy.jpg )
5743
>>5742
"Halvangh the Finder, a master of scrying. He's the one assisting in the ritual, as opposed to simply bringing back a spell to aid us. He said he felt it necessary he leave the tower and be involved directly when we showed him why we had come there."
>> No. 5748 edit
File 129490478099.png - (257.40KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p5.png )
5748
Elayne looks mystified, and tilts her head, resting it on one finger. "So, you say the tower was filled with cultists... and this 'Halvangh' was not one of them? What was a powerful diviner doing in Gallard's tower?" The wizard shakes her head, and confirms, "Perhaps I'd just better let you start from the beginning. What happened in the wizard cave?"
>> No. 5749 edit
File 129757250051.png - (58.56KB , 330x443 , kan_fumana1.png )
5749
"Dragon? What Dragon?"
"It wasn't a pleasurable travel. Right from the start we encountered some defense mechanism than the cultists activated. Those bastards attempted to take control of Halvang, the keeper of the tower. We had to fight against two dragons, some undead an a powerful Eladrin, but thanks to everyone hard work we managed to save Halvang from these guys."
Sureiya make a small pause, and then continues
"If my memory doesn't fails, our mission was the find a way to find the Fell Orc, and I trust Sir Halvang will manage to do it. I hereby think he also want to prevent another conflict to start and he is also a friend of Sir Valanor, so I don't think there's any need to mistrust him"
>> No. 5750 edit
File 130266651258.png - (222.10KB , 378x246 , eladrinfemalehead.png )
5750
Elayne still looks a bit puzzled. "It's well and good that you trust him, but... the tower's caretaker? Why have I not heard of him before...? Well, Valanor was the same one who suggested investigating the tower--"

Mardoc cuts in suddenly, "Wait a moment. I know I don't know the full situation, but doesn't that sound a bit suspicious? This 'Valanor' suggests investigating the tower, and you conveniently come into contact with someone miss Elayne has never heard of--though supposedly trusted by this 'Valanor,' he was the 'caretaker' of Gallard's relics. It seems very... convenient. Why was Elayne unaware of this person until now?" The high shaman shifts his suspicious gaze to the adventurers, as if demanding an explanation.
>> No. 5752 edit
File 131190777925.png - (95.69KB , 291x478 , kanonwithapinwheel.png )
5752
"Well Sir, I did not know about Sir Halvang until today. However if you still think the situation looks way too convenient I believe it would be wise to contact Valanor himself. I believe the Duke trust him enough to take his suggestion to inspect the tower."
>> No. 5753 edit
Audio 36_-_Anxiety.mp3 - (2.51MB , 36 - Anxiety.mp3 )
5753
"Hmf. So Valanor has connections to the palace, is that it...?" mutters Mardoc. That seems to quiet him down, at least for now.

Elanye resumes speaking, saying, "So this Halvangh will assist us? Diviners are quite rare in this era... but I suppose with access to Gallard's tower, it's no surprise that someone possesses such power. Though to trust a matter of such importance to someone I do not know well... what can you tell me of this Halvangh, besides the fact that he is a master of divination magic and the caretaker of Gallard's tower?"
>> No. 5755 edit
"Well, we saved him, so he owes us one," Sariel mumbles. All this hodgepodge about whether to trust someone or not... clearly they should just believe in Sariel, who believes in Halvangh!
>> No. 5756 edit
File 131803633039.jpg - (112.89KB , 500x662 , To Boldly Go Where No Lion Has Gone Before.jpg )
5756
"You could say," Torinn says with unease, "That he is not of this era, but also many eras prior. From what I heard, he was very long lived. But he was a caretaker of the tower who seemed to know a lot about it. He'd even set up some type of animated guardians to protect against intruders, although the cult seemed to have gotten past them."

"In fact, the cultists were trying to subjugate him using a ritual that we were just in time to stop. I should mention that the aforementioned cultists were from something called the Cult of the Dragon, and that they were interested in Halvangh because..." Torinn clears his throat, "Because he is a giant silver dragon. A benevolent one, mind you. Else I'd have his head in my pouch instead of talking to you people. But as such, he has many years of wisdom that he is willing to lend to us, and believes he can harness the power of the leylines to peer into the Shadowfell and find the Fell King's location."

"I trust him, at least."

Diplomacy : http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3211571/ (17)
>> No. 5757 edit
File 129490478099.png - (257.40KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p5.png )
5757
There is a moment of silence, before Elayne says in a quiet, somewhat apprehensive voice, "I-if what you say is true, and a mature silver dragon is here in Baldur's Gate... well, it would be an honor to work alongside such a noble being."

The high shaman crosses his arms and looks troubled, but can only nod as a response to Elayne's words.

"You've done us a great service in recruiting the aid of such a magnificent ally... after he arrives, I will see to it that you are given an additional reward," the eladrin continues, apparently somewhat recovered from her initial surprise.
>> No. 5761 edit
File 131009362731.png - (265.37KB , 640x480 , kanongununu4.png )
5761
Making a distressed expression, Sureiya touch his forehead with his right hand.
"However, I believe Sir Halvang intention was to keep this as a secret, he took he shape of a human so he could fit better around."
>> No. 5764 edit
>>5761
"I understand his concern, but we are all allies in this. As we should place our faith in him, so too should he place his faith in us."

Torinn does make a mental note to explain this to Halvangh when he returns.
>> No. 5765 edit
Sariel mimicks the half-orc's gesture, shaking her head. She doesn't say anything though, because as it goes, Paladins never were seen as being the best keepers of secrets.
>> No. 5768 edit
File 129910793379.png - (253.80KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p2.png )
5768
Elayne nods thoughtfully, placing a hand under her chin. "True, it would behoove us not to advertise to all of Baldur's Gate that a dragon is present in the city."

"A dragon emerging from hiding to aid in a crisis is one of the least unusual that has happened in the history of Faerun, anyway" Mardoc grunts in response. "Desperate times call for desperate measures." Saying that, he turns to the gathered adventurers and addresses them directly, "By the way, if you're heading to the Flaming Fist headquarters anytime soon, I have a favor to ask. They're holding an orc there by the name of Kraag Bloodspire. Obould sent him with me as an escort, but shortly after we arrived, he got into some trouble with some rabble-rousers who thought it would be a good idea to pick a fight with a heavily-armed and short-tempered orc warlord. With all the panic going down at the headquarters due to the current situation, they've just ended up holding him indefinitely, so see if you can't get the stiffs down there to cut him some slack."
>> No. 5788 edit
>>5761
>>5765
Michael makes the exact same gesture at almost the same time as the Paladin mentions all those things (possibly without thinking), before saying,"Well, I guess the cat is out of the bag on that, then.." He thinks inwardly about the Dragon's reluctance to even give out that information, which was understandable, and now the blasted Paladin had gone and blabbed it out!

He also thinks about the failed attack on the Shadowfell and can't help but think out loud,
"I wonder how that attack would have fared on the Shadowfell had we went, though I'm sure if we had, Halvangh would be subjugated which could have been just as dangerous if not more dangerous, and maybe we would have been trapped on the Shadowfell too. Not to say that the soldiers didn't die for a good cause or anything, but even with all the warnings and reassurances that things would go alright, it still turned out pretty bad for them, but who could have predicted that.. Regardless, we will find a way to end this "Fell King", and hopefully if there's survivors on the other side, save them."


He then remembers at the mention of the cult and Flaming Fist, mentions the cultist they had managed to capture. Michael figures if this much has been blabbed out, what's another pieces of information at this point."Speaking of those cultists, we did manage to capture one which we were going to bring to the Flaming Fist anyway, but I doubt he's going to speak much anyway. As for your escort, Kraag Bloodspire, we will try our best, High Shaman Mardoc." Though, Michael thinks inwardly again, we're probably still not on very good terms with them considering what went on..
>> No. 5797 edit
Audio 40_-_Hopelessness.mp3 - (1.74MB , 40 - Hopelessness.mp3 )
5797
The high shaman nods with a grunt, and Elayne calmly takes the reins of the conversation again, "Well, I for one think you have done a great deed by rescuing a silver dragon from the clutches of an evil cult. Unless we have further business... I'll be awaiting the arrival of lord Halvangh."

If you have no other topics to discuss with Elayne and the high shaman, perhaps you should decide your next destination. The Flaming Fist and the ducal palace will both entertain you, it seems.
>> No. 5805 edit
File 130026940684.png - (84.84KB , 291x478 , ka2_nayamua43.png )
5805
"Sir Halvang said it would take him some time to finish reforcing the tower defenses, but he might be around by tomorrow."
Sureiya now look a his comrades and ask in a casual tone
"To where should we move now?"
>> No. 5806 edit
>>5805
"I'd like to take care of things at the Flaming Fist before we meet with the duke. Might be a good idea to hear what they have to say first."
>> No. 5807 edit
Sariel crosses her arms. "I'm still not sure why I'd want to tag along, but I'd rather see that duke first."
>> No. 5812 edit
File 131796180134.png - (124.58KB , 215x279 , hehe.png )
5812
>>5807
Torinn glances at Sariel and grins, "Choosing to stick with us, then?"
>> No. 5814 edit
"What with all this talk of Fell Kings," the eladrin drawls, "you think you would not require my assistance?"
>> No. 5815 edit
File 129875666734.png - (15.61KB , 217x157 , kanonheh_ib4f.png )
5815
Sureiya turns at the easy-caring Warlock in the group, and then reply to Sariel
"Well, I wouldn't mind if you stay with us for a while."
>> No. 5823 edit
File 130121837726.jpg - (122.29KB , 800x1289 , Galmod.jpg )
5823
After a bit of time, the group decides to head to the ducal palace.

>>1898
The ducal palace is pretty much how you remember it, though the number of guards have increased. As your approach the outer gates, the guards posted there stiffen up.

"Halt, there, what business have you at the palace?" one of the guards announces briefly, before another figure seeming slips out of nowhere from between the gathered guards and places a hand on the guard's arm.

"At ease, soldiers," the black leather-wearing tiefling says, looking up at the heavily armored elf. "These people are friends of the palace, yes? They have aided the duke in the past, yes indeed. The grand duke is keeping a close eye on them, yes..." as Letharst says this, he slowly shifts his gaze to the adventurers and grins through sharp teeth, "...and is eager to hear their report."
>> No. 5825 edit
>>5823
At the sight of Galmod again, Michael can't help but whisper into Sariel's ear,"...I'm not the only one who thinks he's weird, creepy and shady, am I?"
>> No. 5826 edit
"Not at all," comes the Eladrin's response, in a quiet, magical whisper to Michael. Louder, she declares, "This is as far as I go. I'm headed to the Flaming Fist."

Sariel turns and departs for the Flaming Fist at once!
>> No. 5829 edit
>>5826
Not wanting to stay much in the presence of the duke or that tiefling as well, he leaves it to Torinn and the others before saying,"If you don't mind, Miss Sariel, I'll join you at the Flaming Fist as well."
>> No. 5830 edit
File 129824246316.jpg - (115.11KB , 505x362 , gendotaro.jpg )
5830
>>5823
Torinn makes no effort to hide his discomfort around the tiefling, saying,
"With all due respect to the duke himself, your shifty mannerisms put me ill at ease, sir Letharst. But more to the point, I'd feel more comfortable away from these talks of politics. Give the duke my regards, for I'll be speaking to the Flaming Fist."
Without waiting for another word, Torinn joins the others heading away from the palace.
>> No. 5831 edit
Audio 36_-_Anxiety.mp3 - (2.51MB , 36 - Anxiety.mp3 )
5831
Letharst watches the cavalier, the warlord, and the mage depart before turning his attention back to the others. "Oh my, I hope I did not offend," he says, sounding taken aback and abandoning his grin. He walks forward, towards the group, and stops a few feet short of the remaining trio, saying, "Though I do not often talk of myself, perhaps it would make the rest of you feel better if I told you what it is I do, yes?" The tiefling bows here, and spreads his arms, as if showing that he is unarmed. "The duke needs someone to keep an eye on the more... unregulated occurrences... in the city. While the Flaming Fist does their most to uphold the law, naturally in such a large city, matters escape their attention, yes? So, I keep an eye on the criminal element, tracking dozens of exchanges per day, and bring those most dangerous to justice.." At this point, Letharst raises his head, smiling once more, "It is essential that the duke has someone on hand who can blend in with the criminal element, and make certain it poses as little threat as possible to the good citizens of the city."
>> No. 5834 edit
File 130023680217.png - (254.91KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p4.png )
5834
When the half of the party that left the palace arrives at the Flaming Fist headquarters, they find many people rushing from one location to another in a hurry. The circular, marble structure on the outside resembles what you've always known, but the people inside are more frantic. Even the normally-sleepy secretary, a miss Fellowships the female gnome, is hurriedly rearranging paperwork on her desk when you enter.

"Oh, it's you..." she says, looking up when the dragonborn, the eladrin, and the human enter. "Things are quite the mess here. How can--"

The gnomish woman's introduction is interrupted abruptly by a familiar yell, "'EY! You guys!"

Turning, you find a familiar-looking half-orc female rushing up to meet you. She stops just a few feet short and hunches over, hands on her knees, panting as if exhausted. "Gah... listen guys, things are a real mess here."
>> No. 5835 edit
>>5834
"So we've been told. We were at the Arcanimus when we heard, and the other half of our party is meeting with the Duke at the palace. We weren't told much other than that the attack failed and some people were left behind in the closing of the portal.."
>> No. 5838 edit
"Alright, anyways it was the party intention to come with the Duke, but I believe they wanted to talk something in the Flamming Fist as well."
Sureiya look at both of his remaining friends and ask
"Should we go to meet the Duke already?"
>> No. 5839 edit
>>5834
"I extend my condolences to those who fell in battle," Torinn says solemnly. He bows his head for a moment, then asks, "What has happened here that has everyone so busy? Did something attack Baldur's Gate in our absence?"
>> No. 5840 edit
File 131816159857.jpg - (187.64KB , 820x735 , 16120531_p4.jpg )
5840
>>5831
... Did they just leave.

The shaman absentmindedly nods to Letharst, wondering about the details to report to the duke.


http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3213681/
>> No. 5845 edit
File 130100423811.png - (6.59KB , 217x157 , georgeheh.png )
5845
>>5831

With the chatterbox paladin absent, Myn, being left with the foolish half-orc and the reserved shaman, takes it upon himself to act as the voice of the group with a sigh.

"An inglorious job indeed, Mister Letharst. I'm sure the city has become far safer with your efforts."

He turns to Sureiya, smiling.

"I don't have any problems with going to see the duke now. We should hurry and be on our way."
>> No. 5846 edit
Audio 47_-_Kuja's_Theme.mp3 - (3.33MB , 47 - Kuja\'s Theme.mp3 )
5846
The Palace

Letharst nods eagerly to the warlock, though the shaman can't feel anything particularly suspicious about the tiefling, aside from the obvious. As you walk into the palace and towards the audience chamber, he comments, "The ducal guard noticed your return from the tower almost immediately, so the duke has set aside other appointments for an audience. It is good that you came so quickly, yes."

When the tiefling slinks ahead and opens the large doors to the elaborate audience chamber, you see the grand duke sitting on his "throne," as he has been the last few times you visited. However, he appears to be conversing with a familiar-looking dragonborn in heavy armor, the same one that originally accompanied you down to the wizard cave. However, upon your entry, the duke refocuses his attention on Myn, "Bernkastel," and Sureiya.

"Good, you have arrived," the duke announces. "I trust you found something that will be useful to our cause in the wizard's tower. Good news has been scarce these days."

The Flaming Fist

Thelkra rights herself and catches her breath, then gives you a stern, yet sad look, and says, "There weren't attacks on the city," she says to the dragonborn, then turns to the warlord and says, "Ya, but our numbers have taken a hit. Listen, we'd be in much better shape to deal with this, but... well, ya see, the problem is, Thalwynn Cragmaul was still fightin' on the other side when the portal closed."

Thelkra shakes her head quickly, as if snapping herself from a daze, then continues, "Valanor's missing too, though I don't think he was with the force in the Shadowfell. Without Cragmaul, we don't have a clear successor, so the duke's temporarily put captain Highwind in command until things have stabilized." Suddenly, she points down the corridor, and announces, "But never mind that now, listen! You gotta hear what some of the survivors from the force are sayin' about what happened when it all started fallin' apart. This way!"
>> No. 5847 edit
>>5846
Nodding at Thelkra's indication to follow, Michael is thinking inwardly about Cragmaul being left behind and Valanor's absence whilst all this is going on, as both are quite a surprise to him.
>> No. 5848 edit
Curiously, the eladrin pursues Thelkra, wondering who this Cragmaul lady was again.
>> No. 5849 edit
File 130026940684.png - (84.84KB , 291x478 , ka2_nayamua3.png )
5849
"I am concerned with what happened in our absence, but I believe we should first report our travel.

To make it short, we managed to find Sir Halvang in the tower, he is who Valanor asked us to search for in the tower. He is a master of the art of Scrying and he believes than working with the people of the Arcanimus, finding the Fell Orc wouldn't be so hard".
Since the Paladin already messed up, it would be rude to don't tell the Duke itself.
"And ... there's another thing, but it's a serious matter, a secret if you wish.
Sir Halvang took a human form when we were coming back. He's a benevolent silver dragon, but he thought it would be easier if people wasn't aware of this."
>> No. 5853 edit
Torinn cringes at the thought of Cragmaul's fate, following behind the others.
>> No. 5854 edit
Audio 48_-_Shadow_Lord.mp3 - (1.70MB , 48 - Shadow Lord.mp3 )
5854
The Flaming Fist

Thelkra leads you to a small room on the far side of the headquarters from where you entered. Inside, there are quite a few simple-looking beds and benches, where various humanoids of all types appear to be resting or having others tend to their injuries.

Thelkra leads you over to a human male, still equipped in a lighter set of armor, with a bandaged arm and a scar on his forehead. "Listen, Biggs, I told ya what ya told me could be important earlier, yeah? So, why don't you repeat what happened to these folks?"

"Biggs" looks at you, appearing too shell-shocked to debate. "I-it all happened so fast. We'd... just managed to set up a base camp on the other side of the portal. We'd fought off a few shadar-kai incursions, but... they must have just been scouting parties. We were attacked by the native beasts a few times too, but nothing we couldn't handle. Then... then it came." He closes his eyes and hunches over, shaking a bit. "I-it was an orc, gray-skinned and mean-looking. But he was the size of a giant or something... four or five times the size of a normal orc. And his skin was charcoal-colored, what we could see beneath the gleaming, silvery armor anyway. And he had a wicked-looking double-edged blade that was longer than a human is tall... and he was leading a true invasion force of shadar-kai. When the creature entered the fray, out forces scattered like--like... I don't know how to describe it. Even as the army fell upon our camp, the leader cut through our ranks on its own, as if softening them up for an invasion force. I only remember shortly thereafter, a retreat was sounded, and Thalwynn was gonna confront it to buy some time... I don't know what happened after that. I was able to escape, but there were many who didn't..."

Thelkra nods, saying, "That's good enough, Biggs. Get some rest now." She turns away from the wounded soldier and looks to the rest of you. "So, I'm sure yer thinkin' what I'm thinkin' on this. That had to be him. I guess the operation was a little TOO successful."

The Ducal Palace

The grand duke nods at the mention of the diviner, yet stiffens up a bit when Sureiya mentions that Halvangh is a dragon. "Really... a silver dragon. Come out of hiding, all of the sudden." Prestor nods slightly, then resumes his usual, lazy, disinterested expression while saying, "I suppose this shouldn't come as a surprise due to the large likelihood of the involvement of the Dragonsworn orcs. So you say he'll be assisting the mages of the Arcanimus in their efforts to track down the Fell King? Then I guess our next move will wait for their findings." The duke gestures lazily and adds, "Thalwynn Cragmaul is missing in action following the assault on the Shadowfell, and I've assigned captain Highwind to take temporary command of the Flaming Fist in her absence. We're still assessing the damage done to both the ducal guard and the Flaming Fist in the wake of the failed operation which you have no doubt already heard of. Suffice it to say, we're in no condition to launch any further assaults of that magnitude. I cannot say the operation was in any form a success, though I am to understand the Flaming Fist did encounter a being they believe to be the Fell King during the assault." The grand duke pauses here, as if awaiting a reaction.
>> No. 5855 edit
An orc, huh?

"The more I learn the less I like it," the Eladrin complains, "and the less I like it the more I feel like waiting out its natural death... if it even has one.

"If it were that easy, I suppose you would not wage war, so..." She pauses, and turns to Torinn in particular, sending him a glare of 'not a word of you-know-what'. To reinforce it, she uses her ghost sound to quietly whisper in his ear.

"Not a word of you-know-what."
>> No. 5858 edit
File 129610615227.jpg - (16.74KB , 91x74 , nyoro~n.jpg )
5858
Torinn tries to reassure the shaken Biggs, "Easy there, soldier. You're back home now." Torinn growls at Thelkra, standing tall and proud as he declares, "In Bahamut's name, I swear this 'Fell King' will get his due. I'll see to it personally if I have to."

Sariel's prodding resulted in a sheepish look returned to her, which was at odds with the confident look he had a moment ago. Hopefully Thelkra didn't notice.
>> No. 5859 edit
File 130552341030.png - (85.67KB , 291x477 , kan_odorokia453.png )
5859
At the Duke words, Sureiya change into a sad and a bit depresed expression, falling into one knee in despair
"... So they fighted the Fell Orc itself? ... What was our journey for then? ... We have no need to search for him then?"
>> No. 5862 edit
File 130222612122.jpg - (4.05KB , 200x151 , 200px-Kamlanaut-Close-up.jpg )
5862
The Ducal Palace

When Sureiya speaks, the duke stands from his chair and gestures dramatically, saying, "If the Fell King DID attack our offensive, he has likely retreated to his base of operations by now. Though we could attempt to lure him out again, I now believe that a head-on attack against the Fell King and his armies would not be our best move." The duke holds out a hand towards you in another dramatic gesture, saying, "I will not send any more of my soldiers to their doom--and our forces are far too few to attempt another such stand at any rate. All remaining forces must be committed to defending the city. I believe our efforts should be aimed at gathering information on the Fell King at this point." The duke nods to the three of your, and adds one more comment, with his hands again resting easily at his sides, "Once we know where he lurks within the Shadowfell, perhaps the best approach would be to send a small, powerful force to bypass whatever forces he has mustered and confront him directly."

The Flaming Fist

Thelkra gestures aggressively towards the dragonborn, sparing the eladrin one short disdainful glance before saying, "I stand with you, brother. We won't let that bastard start a war, and we won't let him fight one either!" She takes out a wicked-looking knife, spins it around, and slashes it through the air between the adventurers. "When we find 'em, I'll make sure to slide a knife in his back while you're stickin' a sword in his gut!"
>> No. 5863 edit
"Quite." Sariel sighs and shakes her head. Seems like the Paladin's found his equal at last─both liable to run into the din of battle unarmed, eager to prove themselves capable warriors.

Well, whichever.


"We actually came here for two matters," Sariel continues softly. "There appears to be an orc held captive here?"
>> No. 5864 edit
File 130021757977.jpg - (24.18KB , 162x159 , georgeserious.jpg )
5864
>>5862

Myn steps forward.

"I presume, Mister Prestor, that this force you speak of would be composed of us and our companions.

...while I agree that such a tactic would be more effective than blindly attacking with a weakened army, I do have doubts as to whether or not an assassination attempt would be at all viable. We possess little skill in manners of stealth, after all."

Myn pauses for a moment to poke at his book imp in an effort to shift its perch from one shoulder to the other.

"Indeed, I would be concerned if you considered your palace so easily-penetrable as to fear similar tactics from the enemy as well. It would be unwise to assume such incompetence on their part."
>> No. 5868 edit
File 131828297151.jpg - (231.38KB , 480x640 , Raion Needs Grooming Badly.jpg )
5868
>>5863
Torinn nods, "An orc by the name of Kraag Bloodspire was taken in earlier. He was supposed to be an escort to the shaman from Many-Arrows. We'd like to negotiate for his release if possible."
>> No. 5871 edit
Audio 41_-_Fury.mp3 - (1.49MB , 41 - Fury.mp3 )
5871
The Ducal Palace

The grand duke sits back in his chair and waves his hand dismissively, saying, "There will be time to discuss the precise strategy later, when we have more information. In any case, nothing is yet set in stone. We must remain flexible."

The Flaming Fist

"Oh, that thug-lookin' guy they dragged in earlier?" Thelkra comments. "Well, we probably should ask the captain before doing somethin' like that, but with all that's been goin' on I don't think he'll mind. That one came in from Many-Arrows recently, ya?" Thelkra starts idly walking out of the room and down the hall, gesturing for the rest of you to follow. "C'mon, let's go grab him."

The half-orc leads you down a side hall to a row of locked, windowless steel doors, and quickly picks the lock of one of them, swinging it open. Inside, sitting on a plain bench in a small, sparsely-decorated room is a bald-headed, green-skinned orc in studded hide armor, colored brown and black, with a large scar running across one eye and up over his head. It doesn't seem to have actually reached the eye itself, however. He quickly turns to face the group as it enters, but remains seated. "What, you finally lettin' me outta here? The high shaman's gonna be pissed about all this."
>> No. 5873 edit
>>5871
"He was quite upset, yes. He requested that we come here to retrieve you." Torinn looks questioningly at Thelkra, "We can take him back with us, right?"
>> No. 5874 edit
File 130026940684.png - (84.84KB , 291x478 , ka2_nayamua3.png )
5874
Recovering from a minor shock, the half-orc thinks about the Duke's words.
"Well it make sense, if the Fell King was ready to attack us he would have done it already, so he probably got back to his hideout."

"I see ... well know for sure than I will be pleased to aid in this combat against that bastard. The last thing I wanna see is another city getting domined by a bunch a cruel and insensible men".
>> No. 5875 edit
"And no worries," the Eladrin adds, while using her Mage Hand to pat Torinn on the shoulder, "because we'll deliver him safely to the High Shaman, without any rabble bothering him." Or him bothering any rabble.
>> No. 5879 edit
File 131025978269.png - (6.03KB , 35x45 , cut.png )
5879
The shaman takes the opportunity to report a particular detail. "In the tower, Mr. Halvangh mentioned that the Dragonsworn orcs used a ritual to shapeshift into various humanoids."
>> No. 5882 edit
>>5854
>>5846
After assessing most of the information presented to him thus far, Michael comes to a few conclusions which he discusses with Thelkra and the party members who happen to be here. He starts off with,

"It seems a bit strange for the Fell King himself to already make his presence known in the battlefield before a general or someone of his. The possibility exists that it wasn't the fell king, maybe one of his generals, but either way, it seems pretty opportunistic that their forces were already nearby once the attack started. Even stranger is that Valanor has gone missing. Regardless, we will find where he is located soon enough and avenge, or possibly even rescue, those left behind. In the meanwhile though, I have an idea I wish to discuss later with the duke and the rest of you, if you so wish it."
>> No. 5883 edit
File 130018229643.png - (45.36KB , 128x128 , thelkra.png )
5883
The Ducal Palace

The duke nods to the shaman's words and says, "I see." Thinking for a moment, he then adds, "If you see any suspicious ways in which they could be using this ritual, we should use that information to our advantage. I did find it odd that apparently the camp was overrun by shadar-kai, yet the minions of the fell king that we've come across thus far have been orcs or fell orcs."

The Flaming Fist

Thelka nods at the orc warlord, who abruptly gets up and moves quickly out the door, saying, "Well, it's about damned time! I've got a mission to attend to, you know!" After the orc leaves the room, Michael has his say, and Thelkra quietly responds, "Well, they were hit by scoutin' parties first. But ya, it's entirely possible that that wasn't the Fell King. Still, I think it was too fierce and too sudden an attack to be connected to any of the other powers in the Shadowfell. It should be him who's behind it."
>> No. 5904 edit
>>5882
"Of course," Sariel responds, "if we have Halvang do the divining, we now have a more-or-less physical description of the creature. If it suffices, we can look for that creature, and then look for the Fell King. If it's the same person, we'll be sure."
>> No. 5908 edit
>>5883
>>5904
Michael nods in response to the two, before asking Thelkra,"So when exactly did Valanor disappear, does anyone know?"
>> No. 5910 edit
>>5883
Torinn scratches his head, "If not him, they were almost certainly acting under his orders."
>> No. 5914 edit
File 129909998322.png - (255.05KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p3.png )
5914
The Flaming Fist

"Valanor?" Thelkra repeats, folding her arms and shaking her head. "He disappears like this, sometimes. Usually no longer than a week. To be honest, I don't know what he does durin' that time, he doesn't talk about it much."
>> No. 5919 edit
>>5914
"I see.. I hope it's only a week or less, but it's quite an inopportune time for him to be gone. Thank you again Thelkra for all your assistance. By the way, I believe we brought a cultist that happened to be at the tower we tried to gather more information on the Fell King on earlier, but I doubt he knows much about the Fell King himself. He didn't seem to want to talk anyway, would rather die. Still, I thought you should know that we brought him to the Flaming Fist."
>> No. 5920 edit
File 130386602757.png - (18.98KB , 200x200 , saku_laugh.png )
5920
>>5919
"Yes, I believe he was delivered wrapped up in several layers of rugs." The dragonborn can't help but snicker at the recollection. It was quite cathartic to wrap him up like that. "The one we borrowed the rugs from may want them back later."
>> No. 5922 edit
>>5920
"It was not that funny," Sariel adds quietly. "In any case, is there anything of note the Flaming Fist could share with us, regarding these shadar-kai?"
>> No. 5924 edit
File 129910793379.png - (253.80KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p2.png )
5924
The Flaming Fist

Thelkra nods, and replies to the warlord and the paladin, "Yah, I heard about the captive being brought in. He's bein' kept in one of the other cells. Could be some time before we get around to askin' him any questions, but we'll get around to it once the situation's settled down."

Then answering the eladrin, the rogue says, "Dunno much about these particular shadar-kai, but shadar-kai are one of the most numerous humanoid races in the Shadowfell. They're nasty, and stealthy. Heavy users of shadow-based magic and stealthy combat."
>> No. 5929 edit
"I asked for anything of note," the eladrin drawls. "Trivial information anyone knows isn't what I asked for."

With a sigh, she turns to the other two, and after a brief glance shakes her head as if the situation is completely hopeless, and Sariel leaves the prison area to poke around the Flaming Fist a little and see if anyone else'd like to talk to her about these shadar-kai, to see if that Thelkra had eyes as good as her brains; or if, in fact, the shadar-kai were utterly 'normal'.
>> No. 5930 edit
roll for shadar-lol information, better than thelkra etc
>> No. 5931 edit
File 130023680217.png - (254.91KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p4.png )
5931
Thelkra growls and shakes her head at the eladrin's departure, commenting dryly to Michael and Torinn, "She always that fun to be around?"

Sariel isn't going to find many experts on the denizens of the Shadowfell in this area, especially those that are willing to take time to talk about it. Someone in the Arcanimus might know more.

Arcana (Sariel): Shadar-kai settlements are found almost exclusively in the Shadowfell, and individuals are very rare on the material plane. Shadar-kai are stereotyped as craving power and not fearing death. Most shadar-kai are devoted either to Shar or Kelemvor, and their choice of deity often shapes their temperament: the followers of Kelemvor are thrill-seekers who greatly desire power and excitement and despise the undead, while the followers of Shar are more depraved, seeking to stir up chaos and topple existing orders for the sake of it. Anyone who can offer a new, life-changing and/or world-changing experience is likely to grab the attention of more than a few shadar-kai.
In combat, they tend to prefer hit-and-run tactics, using their innate ability to teleport a short distance and become insubstantial to ward off attackers.

>> No. 5932 edit
The eladrin departs, shaking her head in utter incomprehension how these short-lived kids can stand to live in ignorance! Well, at the very least, their lives are miserably short so the ignorance shouldn't make 'em suffer as much.

"I suppose they are too busy chasing glory to pursue knowledge," she mumbles to herself as she makes her way to the duke's, to see if the rest of their party are done with their audience yet.
>> No. 5933 edit
File 129800394717.jpg - (92.59KB , 361x378 , Ain\'t Nothin\' Like The Real Thing.jpg )
5933
Torinn grimaces, "I think she still mistakes me for a stepping stone. But that's neither here nor there." Sighing, he asks, "Just make sure to hold onto the rugs the cultist was delivered in, the person I borrowed them from will want them back later."

And he did still need to warn Halvangh about spilling his secret.
>> No. 5940 edit
Myn narrows his eyes slightly at the duke, taking care to maintain his smile as he wonders why he bothers with this nonsense.

"If it would not be presumptuous to ask, Mister Prestor, might you have a payment for our work at the tower prepared?"
>> No. 5941 edit
>>5931
"I think she just has something against Half-orcs or any race that doesn't live longer than her. I apologize for her actions towards you." With a bow, Michael rejoins Sariel and Torinn who are headed to the Arcanimus he assumes. His discussion about his idea with the duke will probably be done there if the party manages to meet back up.
>> No. 5944 edit
File 129490478099.png - (257.40KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p5.png )
5944
The Ducal Palace

"I believe the Arcanimus has arranged a suitable reward for your services," the duke replies lazily.

Outside, Sariel is confronted by the guards, but once they recognize her, they uneasily stand aside to allow her entry into the palace. Michael manages to catch up with her after some effort.

The Flaming Fist

Thelkra snorts and waves goodbye as you leave, saying, "Well, anyways, I gotta keep an eye on things here a while longer. See if I can't meet up with yas again tomorrow, though."
>> No. 5945 edit
Sariel eyes one of the guards.

"I'd like to know if my companions have left yet."
>> No. 5946 edit
File 129910793379.png - (253.80KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p2.png )
5946
The guard addressed shakes her head. "They have not."
>> No. 5947 edit
The eladrin nods courtly, turning to Michael briefly.

"They are still inside," she says, and without further explanation heads inside, to try and see if she can find the audience chamber on her own; not to enter, but to await the others outside until they are finally done.
>> No. 5948 edit
File 129757978829.jpg - (37.64KB , 154x204 , pondering.jpg )
5948
>>5944
"Farewell for now, then."

With that, Torinn heads off. Though he doesn't remember where the group said they were going. Were they meeting up at the palace or the arcanimus?

Torinn checks the latter and returns to the Arcanimus, checking outside for any familiar faces.

>> No. 5949 edit
File 129909998322.png - (255.05KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p3.png )
5949
Once inside, Sariel is pretty sure she can identify the audience chamber by the fact that it is sealed by two rather majestically carved doors under the guard of heavily armored soldiers.

Torinn heads to the Arcanimus, though doesn't see anyone standing outside the building that is familiar to him.
>> No. 5950 edit
>>5947
Michael nods, following her again after catching his breath briefly.
>> No. 5959 edit
Well, that was easy.

The eladrin sits down and rumbles a bit with her newfound robes, commencing preparations to alter its appearance thoroughly so she isn't reminded of that purple eladrin as much when wearing it.


Ritual Enchant Magic Item to alter appearance, should be free, takes an hour but who cares, they might well take an hour to talk to duke right.

If interrupted before then, continue ritual and speak while performing it: Sariel'll rejoin them wherever once she's done.

>> No. 5999 edit
File 129490478099.png - (257.40KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p5.png )
5999
With their business with the duke concluded, Bernkastel, Myn, and Sureiya are dismissed from the audience chamber. Letharst accompanies them into the entry hall, where Michael and Sariel are waiting (Sariel has just started performing a ritual). Letharst stands back while the adventurers gather in the waiting area, where the convenient, comfortable couches sit.

So, five-sixth of the party have reuninted in the palace. What now?
>> No. 6002 edit
"I suppose I should join you, yes?" Sariel interrupts her preparations to commence the Ritual, and instead rejoins her allies.

"Let's return to the Arcanimus," the eladrin continues, and she sets off first, momentarily pausing. Aren't they missing someone? Eh, ah well. Continue!
>> No. 6010 edit
Audio 13_-_Heavens_Tower.mp3 - (5.88MB , 13 - Heavens Tower.mp3 )
6010
The Arcanimus theme

Letharst nods as the five adventurers set off, heading for the Arcanimus. Nothing of note seems to have changed in the cobblestone streets of Baldur's Gate--there are still very few people out and about inside the city walls. When the party finally reaches the domed, elven-style building of the Arcanimus, they find Torinn standing outside, and reunite with their dragonborn paladin.
>> No. 6011 edit
"Now then," Sariel continues, striding towards the Arcanimus entrance, "we should all meet up with the casters!"

Again, without awaiting anyone else's input, the eladrin enters the Arcanimus, in search of Elayne and the Shaman; the latter for the sake of glorious reward, now that they set free the Orc.

Briefing eachother on what happened in absence can be done... later!

>> No. 6022 edit
"I was wrong, they went the other way," muses Torinn when the group rejoins him. After Sariel strides in, Torinn shrugs and heads in as well, seeing no point in sticking outside. He hopes he didn't miss Halvangh or else things might turn out awkward...
>> No. 6031 edit
File 129490478099.png - (257.40KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p5.png )
6031
Sariel leads the group up the spiral, where they find Mardoc and Elayne pretty much how they were left: looking over maps and arcane tomes.

Elayne is the first to notice the group's approach, and looks up from her seated position, saying, "Oh, you have returned. Was there something else?"
>> No. 6033 edit
Sariel shakes her head to Elayne: they didn't particularly have anything to do with her, but...

"Did your bodyguard return yet?" Sariel inquires of the High Shaman, eyeing around to see whether she can't spot the good fellow here... it'd be awful if an Orc were running around town accosting random people.
>> No. 6035 edit
File 131788720549.jpg - (157.64KB , 600x600 , ork_schamane.jpg )
6035
The high shaman also looks up from his apparently rather intense study of a map, and says, "Yes, Kraag has returned. You have my thanks, if you talked the Flaming Fist into releasing him. I sent him outside to patrol the area around the building, though, as he'd only get bored and perhaps start a ruckus in here."
>> No. 6036 edit
Sariel is less pleased all they effect is a thank you, but she's not going to argue with an Orc. Much less expect more from them. Should've left this to Sureiya, though... he's more Man than Orc, to be fair.

"Well, then, I'm not sure what else we should do," the eladrin admits to the others, "but I think that I, myself, want to track down a priest of Oghma. I find myself curious. What will you do? If you require the enchantment of magic armour or weaponry, I can find some free time to do so..."
>> No. 6038 edit
>>6036
"Actually, would you mind holding off on that for a moment, miss Sariel?",Michael says before turning to Elayne and asking,"Is there a empty discussion room or something I can briefly use to discuss something with my party please, Miss Elayne?"
>> No. 6039 edit
File 129757250051.png - (58.56KB , 330x443 , kan_fumana1.png )
6039
"Well, I suggest we should spend some time taking our fair rate of the loot. With some money in my hands I could make my mind to upgrade my blades, or maybe getting a new pair."
>> No. 6040 edit
File 129910793379.png - (253.80KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p2.png )
6040
Elayne shifts off her seat, then stands, staying, "Certainly, I can arrange something. We have private rooms for resting and reading, though they usually require a reservation. For such good friends of the Arcanimus, though, I will procure one for you."

The eladrin female quickly fey steps past the party and descends the stairs, leading those gathered to a sparsely-decorated, but roomy conference area with a magnificently crafted elven table surrounded by eight thin, yet stable stone chairs that appear to be fine dwarven craftsmanship. There are potted plants in the corners, and everburning candles are set into the walls to provide illumination. Elayne nods to you as you enter, and says, "Feel free to come to me if you require anything." With that, she closes the heavy wooden door behind her, leaving the party alone in the conference area.
>> No. 6041 edit
>>6039
"You can do that while we speak, if you wish. First thing is first though.. What did the duke have to say?"
>> No. 6044 edit
File 130896125850.png - (59.57KB , 330x444 , kan_majimea11.png )
6044
"Well, I'm not sure what you know from the Flamming Fist but, apparently the shadar-kai were the ones who attacked the army on the Shadowfell, also the Duke thinks the best we can do right now it's to gather as much information we can from the Fell King and to prepare a concentrated attack directly against him.
... And well, anything I'm missing?"
>> No. 6045 edit
>>6044
"Hmm.. Not much different from what we heard at the Flaming Fist at all then. Other than one of the survivors describing what most seem to believe was the Fell King himself. I'm not as convinced it was him, at least until Halvangh's results, but a concentrated attack, huh.." Michael ponders this information for a moment before nodding to himself and saying,"Well, I was hoping it wasn't going to have to come to this.. but..."at that point, he turns to the party and announces,"I.. haven't been entirely forthcoming with you all about myself, but at this point there's no helping it with the plan I have in mind.

I might not be that important, but I come from a noble family in the East Rift, and with all that's going on threatening the stability of the region and maybe even the continent or the world, I cannot sit idly by after the failure that attack caused."

"Furthermore, I believe if I manage to present the information to those at the East Rift, and maybe even gather even more for a plan I have for this whole Fell King ordeal."

"I gather allies as best I can or some sort of token force to draw the attention of the Fell King while the strike force goes and takes care of him, and hopefully end this thing soon, maybe even rescue the survivors, if any, in the process, and if not, at least retrieve their bodies. All this presented to the Duke, of course, but I don't think he's really in a position right now to decline any help."
>> No. 6046 edit
File 129611866875.png - (84.80KB , 291x478 , kan_nayamua42.png )
6046
Impressed by Michael valiant speech, Sureiya reply with a calm tone
"I see ... so your plan it's to go there and ask them for reinforcements? That's quite honorable Michael, if I could do something like that ... well anyways I come from a small place in Amn, and I wouldn't like to get them involved.
Well, if that's what your guts tell you do to then please do, we need any help we can get now."
And as Sureiya say this, he stare at a leaf he got in his right palm
Oh and by the way ... do worry not about not telling us, I'm sure we everyone have our own secrets."
>> No. 6053 edit
>>6045
Torinn is fairly impressed with Michael's noble lineage and his plan. "It would be a shame to see you go, but if you could rally your allies for us then I think we'll stand a better chance than we do now."
>> No. 6054 edit
File 130619839991.png - (3.51KB , 56x106 , bern127b.png )
6054
>>6045
The shaman listens to the plan, pondering but withholding her thoughts. Meanwhile, her two spirits stand behind Sureiya, looking over his shoulders.
>> No. 6055 edit
Sariel stands there.
>> No. 6056 edit
>>6055
The eladrin doesn't look at all impressed by the gesture, and shoots Michael a deadpan look.

"So you're leaving, then," she confirms.
>> No. 6057 edit
>>6046
>>6053
"Thank you, I hope it works out well enough."

>>6054
"Since I know you liked these so much and I won't really have much of a use for them, I am bequeathing these items to you." Michael says as he hands Bern the Healer's Brooch +1 and Battle Standard of Healing.

>>6056
"Most likely, yes. I had already been in contact with my homeland and slightly briefing them on the goings on here."
>> No. 6058 edit
File 130026940684.png - (84.84KB , 291x478 , ka2_nayamua43.png )
6058
>>6054
Noticing at the intruders, and to the troubled face of the Shaman, Sureiya decide to ask.
"How about you, Shaman? You seem to be quite concerned with something. Is Michael leaving troubling you?"
>> No. 6059 edit
File 129464570122.jpg - (7.67KB , 181x161 , huh__.jpg )
6059
"Ah, actually, if you're heading east, I'd like to ask you to take a letter with you and mail it to my family Djerad Thymar when you arrive. I haven't been able to write to my family in some time, and I'd just finished writing a letter last night." Before Michael can respond, Torinn takes out a sealed envelope and hands it to Michael, the address written in draconic.
>> No. 6060 edit
File 130179153493.png - (84.90KB , 178x390 , 01.png )
6060
The spirits turn away from the leaf, and return to the shaman's side.

"... Yes, it is, but I believe Mr. Silversteel has been thinking about it for some time. This is his decision."

The shaman pauses again at Michael's offer, but eventually nods and accepts the items with a thank-you.
>> No. 6061 edit
File 130606626814.png - (85.73KB , 291x478 , kan_komarua134.png )
6061
"If you are worried about our group healing abilities well ... we will need to get tougher, that's all.
We might need an extra hand, but that can be solved".
>> No. 6064 edit
File 131761042231.png - (15.19KB , 105x105 , bern123.png )
6064
>>6061
The shaman looks at the spirits for a moment, before turning back to the group with a resigned look.

"... We'll try to do something about it.

"On another subject, should we divide up the stuff we found?"

2400 residuum crystals (3)
200 alchemic reagents
1500 art objects
300 reagents of some sort?
3400 Steadfast Amulet +2
2600 Irrefutable Armor +2

Also 160 mystic salves, but this is useless for anyone but Sariel so we probably shouldn't count its value.

840 Cloak of Distortion +1 returned to Torinn
520 Cloak of Resistance +1 returned to Sureiya

>> No. 6065 edit
>>6064
"I'll keep the amulet and nothing else for now, unless someone else wishes to have it."
>> No. 6067 edit
File 130160247175.png - (85.38KB , 291x478 , kan_defa2.png )
6067
"That amulet power seems to be quite powerfull, but I think it will do better in your hands.
And from the looks Sariel liked that guy robes, so is the remain loot for us?"
>> No. 6072 edit
File 129490478099.png - (257.40KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p5.png )
6072
After the adventurers finish dividing their spoils, they head off to various destinations.

Everyone who's going somewhere, post where you are going (or if you're staying), and what you're doing.
>> No. 6073 edit
Sariel proceeds away from the party, leaving them note of where she's going and, of course, promising a swift return to their side, before setting off to track down Kotomine Kireia priest of Oghma. Corellon had never quite drawn her, and she now wonders whether or not Oghma can draw her instead.

"By the beard of Kelemvor," the eladrin mumbles, "I've grown reliant on others."

She pauses briefly to wonder if Kelemvor even -has- a beard, before setting off.
>> No. 6074 edit
Torinn remains near the entrance to the Arcanimus, waiting for Halvangh to show in case a situation came up. Fortunately he has the books he borrowed to occupy him in the meantime.
>> No. 6075 edit
File 130162151469.png - (84.98KB , 291x478 , ka2_fumana66.png )
6075
Sureiya is determined to find a new ally for the incoming missions, but he notices than the dragonborn is staying outside of the building.
"So, you were serious when you said you would wait for Sir Halvang ... but I don't think it's a good idea to stay here. From what he said I doubt he will be coming in a few hours, and we need to take a good rest. Why don't you go to an Inn and return early awaiting for his visit? I think that will do better than staying outside all night."
>> No. 6076 edit
>>6075
Torinn shakes his head, "In the off chance that he arrives early, I'll be here to sort out any misunderstandings."
>> No. 6077 edit
File 129797399880.png - (85.34KB , 291x478 , kan_majimea37.png )
6077
>>6076
"... I understand your concern Paladin, but if you are not well rested the party could be afected by it.
Furthermore from the Silver Dragon vast knowlogment I would assume he understand the sleep cycle of the mortals like us, and he could also feel exhausted from the struggle with the cultists.
... Anyways if you feel like picking my advice I will be staying in the usual inn. You are welcome to join anytime."
As Sureiya say this he make a goodbye gesture and start walking to the downtown
>> No. 6078 edit
File 131892452248.png - (151.56KB , 428x600 , î+ò(01a(Æå).png )
6078
Sariel heads to the High House of Wonders. She finds a large amount of people inside, compared to the lower number of people on the streets throughout the city. The high priest greets her in the entry hall, which is a large, decorated hall with marble columns and stained glass windows that provide a great deal of illumination. "Welcome, child, to the high house of Wonders." high priest Faenor says, "How can I help you this day?"

Sureiya arrives at the Helm and Cloak, and finds that the grand duke has already made arrangements for the six adventurers for the night. The rooms and meals have already been paid for.
>> No. 6082 edit
"Child?" The eladrin snorted disdainfully, biting back a remark - she supposed it would not do her favours to answer the man's insult.

"I came here seeking information," the eladrin spoke instead. "Of late, I've found I've had an insatiable curiousity... the nature of which compelled others to advise me towards this place."
>> No. 6084 edit
Audio 14_-_Church_on_the_Hill.mp3 - (1.19MB , 14 - Church on the Hill.mp3 )
6084
"Indeed, we are all children of the gods," the priest confirms, before addressing the eladrin's inquiry, his haughty yet calm tone never changing, "Ah, so you seek to follow the path of a lorekeeper, do you?"

Faenor nods and gestures with one hand in a sweeping motion, "What knowledge do you seek, child?"
>> No. 6085 edit
The eladrin frowns, considers her answer. "To become a lorekeeper, I find I has needs first find more lore. In particular, if you would, what you have of Oghma."
>> No. 6086 edit
File 131898152669.png - (169.94KB , 508x600 , î+ò(04a(Æå).png )
6086
>>6085
"Indeed? Well, our great Oghma is the judge of ideas and innovations. Though he appears carefree, it is one he takes very seriously," the priest explains in the same tone as before. From the sounds you can hear coming from behind one of the two sets of wooden double-doors behind the priest and the wooden stand he is standing behind, you would guess some sort of sermon going on right now. Still, the high priest seems content to talk to you face-to-face. "We lorekeepers are charged with seeking out knowledge that is unique or lost, and return it to where it may be studied. Most of our library is left in the care of the Arcanimus, but the texts concerning Oghma himself, as well as the other gods, is kept here, in our personal library. If you wish to make use of our library, I would be happy to make the proper arrangements."
>> No. 6089 edit
>>6059
After accepting it before he can even get a response out, Michael accepts the letter. After the party is done talking or discussing, he heads to the inn shortly after as well, seeing as he's more tired than he realized. He decides to have a small meal and get rested up for tomorrow when he should probably meet with the Duke.
>> No. 6090 edit
File 129920716263.png - (21.13KB , 200x200 , Harry Potter studying for his OWLs.png )
6090
With Sureiya's departure, Torinn returns to the lobby of the Arcanimus and carefully pulls out one of the old novels. The dragonborn begins his vigil, taking his eyes off the pages every few minutes to check the doorway. If anybody asked what he was supposed to be doing there, he replied that he was waiting for somebody.
>> No. 6092 edit
File 129643998318.png - (89.42KB , 291x478 , kan_waraia123.png )
6092
Arriving at the pub, Sureiya will sit on the table near to the guy/girl on charge of the drinks and he will order a cold and big beer glass along with some good food they have there, something meaty if you will.
Furthermore, Sureiya will try to gather some information about the happenings in the Baldur Gate these days, dissapearings, fights, main concerns of the people.

>> No. 6093 edit
File 129910793379.png - (253.80KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p2.png )
6093
Michael goes to take a rest, and Sureiya interacts with the people at the Helm and Cloak.

Sureiya finds the menu of the Helm and Cloak to be rather high-class, and is able to obtain a rather large piece of candied mutton, wine-roasted and very tasty. Asking around, he finds that the city folk have been warned to try and stay indoors because of the danger of assassins lurking about. There are rumors of a war brewing in the north, between Many-Arrows and the old alliance of Luruar. As a result, there is a bit of hostility towards orcs and half-orcs in the open streets as well... though Sureiya is lucky enough not to encounter any in the inn itself, though he has received a few dirty looks from onlookers.

Torinn has to wait almost three hours before he sees the familiar, yet unassuming black-haired human male in silver robes approach. In the meantime, he was reading an epic tale of the ascension of Kelemnvor. The man recognizes the dragonborn immediately and approaches him. "Ah, good to see you. Have you been waiting for me to arrive?"
>> No. 6095 edit
File 129625045160.png - (26.45KB , 147x185 , diplomaticimmunity.png )
6095
>>6093
Wrapped up in the tale as he is, Torinn doesn't see Halvangh at first. At the man's arrival, he sets aside the book he borrowed to greet him. "That I have. I have to discuss something with yo before you meet with the rest of the Arcanimus." With the care of one raised handling delicate things, Torinn sets the book aside and slips it back into his bag of holding. "It's been a few hours since I arrived here, so I hope you don't mind hearing me out for a couple minutes."
>> No. 6096 edit
File 129909998322.png - (255.05KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p3.png )
6096
"Something to discuss?" Halvangh asks quizzically. He appears to be waiting for Torinn to elaborate.
>> No. 6097 edit
File 129824246316.jpg - (115.11KB , 505x362 , gendotaro.jpg )
6097
>>6096
Torinn scratches at the back of his head , looking quite humble as he explains, "I'm afraid that we had some issues convincing the Arcanimus that you weren't, say, an agent of the Fell King." The paladin sighs, looking around in case they were being watched, "I'm afraid that I had to refer to your... 'credentials' to convince them." In an attempt to elaborate, he mimes a passable dragon head with his hands.

"I apologize for not keeping it secret."
>> No. 6098 edit
File 129910793379.png - (253.80KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p2.png )
6098
Halvangh considers for a moment, then replies, looking apologetic, "Ah, well, think nothing of it. It was bound to come up sooner or later. Though I worry if perhaps they might expect too much of me because of those credentials... cross-plane detection is no easy feat." Looking behind the dragonborn to the Arcanimus, Halvangh nods. "So, they are waiting for me?"
>> No. 6099 edit
>>6098
Torinn nods, "Indeed. They are quite honored to work with you."
>> No. 6101 edit
>>6086
"Then, please do."
>> No. 6102 edit
File 131909730237.png - (192.03KB , 516x600 , î+ò(02b(ï¯).png )
6102
"Very well. Come," the high priest instructs, leading Sariel into one of the two wooden doors. After a brief stroll down one of the hallways, the eladrin is lead into a side chamber, behind a wooden door. Inside is a small, yet tidily kept room. The decoration is sparse, and the room mostly consists of a few lamps providing illumination to four white, painted walls, with large wooden bookshelves filled to the brim with books of various shapes and sizes arranged around a simple rectangular table meant to seat around eight humanoids. Faenor nods, saying, "The books concerning Oghma are on the far wall. If you require further assistance, please let me know."

Halvangh nods to Torinn, and enters the Arcanimus. Will Torinn follow, or go elsewhere?
>> No. 6103 edit
File 131912796144.jpg - (26.64KB , 161x193 , yawning.jpg )
6103
Only after concluding his talk does Torinn realize just how tired he is. Rubbing his eyes, Torinn says, "I wish you the best of luck, but I must get some rest. It's been a very exciting day, to say the least."
>> No. 6111 edit
Myn wanders off to the market in search of eye protection as he ponders the recent events.

"...well, if he was a noble I'd probably have wound up killing him anyways."


Search the market for eagle eye goggles.
>> No. 6112 edit
File 12989609891.png - (10.42KB , 200x200 )
6112
The shaman stays at the Arcanimus overnight, poring over the books as instructed by the spirits. Of course, she had explained to the others ahead of time.
>> No. 6113 edit
File 130101422990.png - (318.54KB , 486x800 , 11125426_p1.png )
6113
Myn is able to easily obtain a pair of eagle eye goggles for 551 gp.

Bernkastel opts to remain in the Arcanimus, studying ancient battle histories and the finer points of leadership.

Torinn heads to the inn, where he arranges for a rest, and Sureiya and Michael each check into their individual rooms.

Sariel spends a lot of time poring over the various texts in the House of Wonders' library, and learns much of Oghma. The most significant event in the history of the faith is the great schism between the Orthodox Church of Oghma and the Oghmanyte Church in Exile, which seems to be more of a political schism than a philosophical one. In any case, the worship of Oghma in Baldur's Gate is typically that of the Orthodox Church, whose followers are also known as lorekeepers. Oghma seeks out lost knowledge as well as new and unique ideas. Oghma opposes Mask, Cyric, and Bane. In addition, Oghma one of the gods of Knowledge and Invention, along with Milil, Deneir, and Gond. Oghma's favor of new ideas fits in with the idea of invention, which is why he is counted amongst these gods in addition to his teaching of collecting and preserving knowledge.

Those seeking to be formally admitted to the ranks of Oghma's clergy are tasked with seeking out a piece of ancient knowledge from the pre-Spellplague era. Recent events in Baldur's Gate have convinced the high priest that collecting and preserving as much of the knowledge thought to be lost in the Spellplague is the best way to serve Oghma.

You all gain the benefit of an Extended Rest. You are now level 6, and your new XP total is 7807/10000. My new house rules are also officially in effect.
>> No. 6151 edit
Torinn pays for a small meal and a cold drink, then takes the key for his room. A simple bath is prepared, Torinn gets in, and the dragonborn scrubs until he can't smell the stench left behind by those two dragons.

A few prayers are said for the safety of those stranded in the assault on the Shadowfell, and for peace to the soldiers that died, and for the families who lost their loved ones because of it. Lastly, he asks the Platinum Dragon to watch over those he travels with, and to keep his family and his clan safe, and perhaps himself as well.

With that concluded, Torinn climbs into bed and is sound asleep.

>> No. 6153 edit
File 130162151469.png - (84.98KB , 291x478 , ka2_fumana66.png )
6153
With a minor headache, Sureiya wake up early at the next day. Being a little used to this kind of situation, he take his hangover like a bauss.
Then he take some time to think in the recent events, since his meeting with these guys a lot of things have happened, it's almost hard to assimilate.
It has been more than a year than he doesn't see his family, nor visit Amn. He's a bit worried about them, but he expect the guys at the Emerald Cabal keep everything in order.

"I need a new blade, this one is good but it's not my style."
>> No. 6154 edit
Sariel, with the dawn of a new day, concludes her research into Oghma. She thanks the priest before leaving and stretching out in the sun. The pursuit of knowledge leaves her invigorated, and the eladrin sets out to the Arcanimus, in hopes of finding her allies somewhere.
>> No. 6165 edit
File 131927209216.jpg - (68.80KB , 495x330 , darkbad.jpg )
6165
Most of the adventurers rest normally. However, when Myn sleeps, a familiar-sounding voice invades his dreams. "Hey, kid," the soft, slithery voice echoes in the half-elf's mind. Suddenly, Myn's field of vision within this dream is filled with darkened, twisting tunnels. It's as if he was traveling through the Underdark at a very high speed... "Seems you've been enjoying the power you've been given. A little too much." Suddenly, the warlock feels as though he is flying over the head of dozens of gibbering, tentacle-mouthed creatures--mind flayers, umber hulks, and other horrendous creatures that dwell in the Underdark. "Yer gonna attract the wrong kind of attention with that kind of power, so I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further, ya?" Suddenly, Myn's vision blurs and becomes dark, and his dream is no longer of flying through the Underdark and listening to his mysterious patron lecture him. He's back in the hotel room. But the voice manages to say one final thing, just after Myn wakes up, "Try not to cause any trouble for me, got it?"
>> No. 6170 edit
File 129607467480.png - (28.59KB , 110x199 , georgeclosedsmile.png )
6170
>>6165

Myn sighs, rubbing his eyes drowsily.

"This is troubling. If that thing's going to be so difficult, I may have to look into finding another patron..."

Departing from bed, he ponders looking around the market a bit more today.

"...I suppose it was inevitable. If I have two, I should be able to kill one if it becomes too bothersome.

>> No. 6176 edit
Torinn wakes up refreshed and ready to take on the day. A few minutes of preparation and to put on his armor and he's all set. His destination now is the Arcanimus, to see what progress has been made.
>> No. 6177 edit
File 129910793379.png - (253.80KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p2.png )
6177
Sariel and Torinn coincidentally arrive at the Arcanimus at around the same time. When they arrive, they notice "Bernkastel" studying books at a table on the lowest level, and a good many other mages are here and there, going about their business. The Arcanimus is about the same as it always is.

However, when the two arrive at the top of the spiral, they discover Halvangh, Elayne, and Mardoc gathered over a large map of north-west Faerun. Two places on the map are marked with red, glowing runes--one to the east of Many-Arrows, in the Spine of the World mountains, and another father east, just east of the Nether Mountains and west of the Deep Maw.

A fourth figure is present--Urist Ironwrought, a dwarf with whom you are quite familiar. He nods at your approach and is the first to greet you, "Git ye some rest, did ye? Good! We've been quite busy up 'ere, an' ah think we've got just aboot e'erythin' figured out now."

Elayne, Mardoc, and Halvangh also look up at you when Urist speaks, noticing your approach.
>> No. 6178 edit
Sureiya also leaves and walk directly to Arcanimus, hoping to see everyone else there as well.
>> No. 6180 edit
>>6177
Torinn addresses them eagerly, "So the ritual is ready, then?"
>> No. 6181 edit
Sariel nods briefly, but remains quiet. Whatever the Arcanimus people intend to do isn't much of a concern to her, after all; she's more interested in relating to the others what transpired at the Flaming Fist, and to likewise inquire of them what happened at the duke's.

Whether she's going to plunge headlong into this foolish endeavour herself is an entirely different matter, but... well, at the very least, she needs time.

>> No. 6182 edit
Myn gives up on the market for the moment and also wanders to the arcanithingy.
>> No. 6183 edit
Audio 13_-_Heavens_Tower.mp3 - (5.88MB , 13 - Heavens Tower.mp3 )
6183
Michael, Sureiya, and Myn manage to wander into the Arcanimus and join with Sariel and Torinn as Elayne begins to explain the situation, "The ritual itself... well, it is ready. However, we are still formulating a plan of action."

Halvangh nods sagely, crossing his arms and not looking at anyone in particular. "Indeed, it is as I thought. Attempting to locate someone cross-plane with very little information to go on is impossible. We cannot use a ritual to simply pinpoint the Fell King's location."

"However, there is a way to find him, and with the help of lord Halvangh, I believe we can accomplish this," Mardoc explains, gesturing with an arm to the map. "The ritual we have devised will allow us to track the flows of power within the elemental leylines that run beneath our world and even into other planes."

"Mardoc's knowledge of the elemental leylines has allowed us to locate their strongest point in our world, here," Halvangh says as he points to the place on the map where the Spine of the World is marked. "We will need to perform the ritual there."

Elayne gestures with one hand, waving it before her face for a moment, before adding, "It won't be that simple, however. Triangulating the flow of power into the Shadowfell will require tapping into the leyline at several points. I was hoping we could count on your assistance in this regard."
>> No. 6184 edit
File 129674887945.jpg - (278.84KB , 600x799 , armslooklikedanglinglegs.jpg )
6184
>>6183
"And you need us to secure these leylines?"
>> No. 6185 edit
File 129797399880.png - (85.34KB , 291x478 , kan_majimea37.png )
6185
"And you will have our support, Sir Halvang. What can we do to help with this ritual?"
>> No. 6186 edit
File 130266651258.png - (222.10KB , 378x246 , eladrinfemalehead.png )
6186
Elayne procures a tube made for holding scrolls, and elaborates, "Well, I have devised a different sort of ritual that will place a sort of 'beacon' on the elemental leyline, allowing us to connect that point of the leyline to our primary site in the Spine of the World. Ideally, this ritual should be cast on the leyline's strongest point here," the eladrin points to the other marked area, near the Deep Maw.

"So here's how I see it," Mardoc announces, "Elayne, me, and lord Halvangh go to the Spine of the World and prepare the area for the ritual. We need another group to head for our secondary objective, and cast the other part of the ritual there. From that point, we should be able to locate a third spot where we can cast another part of the ritual, and that'll do it. With three points set up on this plane, we can start to trace the flow of energy into the Shadowfell."

"Tha spot on tha map," Urist interjects, "Is tha location o' a dwarven settlement fro' tha pre-Spellplague era--one o' tha ole fortress-cities of Ammarindar. Name was Koganusân. If we're lucky, a stepping disk in tha fortress may still be functional, and we can save ye a load o' travel time."

"Of course, the site is certainly now probably overrun with danger, given it is near an elemental leyline," Halvangh points out. "Still, if we wish to locate the Fell King, this is a good place to start"
>> No. 6187 edit
File 130160247175.png - (85.38KB , 291x478 , kan_defa2.png )
6187
"Hmmm, so our job would be to escort some people from the arcanimus to Koganusân. Is that correct?"
>> No. 6188 edit
File 129909998322.png - (255.05KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p3.png )
6188
Elayne shakes her head. "Actually, we're a bit short on personnel right now. We're doing our best to support the Flaming Fist in the wake of the recent disaster... but while we are short in personnel, we have plenty of supplies. Right now, I am having some of my best mages work on a magical item that should assist you in locating the strongest point in the leyline, from which you can use a scroll with the proper ritual printed on it." The eladrin indicates the tube she is holding, "The ritual works best if at least five people participate in the casting, six being optimal, though only one person able to master and perform rituals is necessary. The others need only perform basic concentration-based tasks to focus their wills on the leyline."
>> No. 6189 edit
File 130606626814.png - (85.73KB , 291x478 , kan_komarua134.png )
6189
"I understand, yeah the situation seems to be difficult, but worry not if that's the case I think our Eladrin is quite good with rituals.
Anyways, what should we expect from this travel? Have you get any report from sightings in the area?"
>> No. 6196 edit
>>6189
... 'our' Eladrin? Sariel fights back the urge to put that half-beast in its place, merely leveling her gaze with Elayne instead.

"Before that, however, I would ask how much time we have before we must depart." Sariel points at the rest of her group. "If I am to travel with them again, I would want to invest some equipment with magic power."
>> No. 6201 edit
File 129910793379.png - (253.80KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p2.png )
6201
"Though this is a time sensitive matter, I am not intending to press you to leave before you are prepared," Elayne explains. "Take the time you need. Should you be willing to take on this mission, we will prepare for your departure tomorrow or the day thereafter. In the meantime, I have had a reward for your services prepared. As mentioned earlier, we have a goodly amount of supplies available--in particular, the Flaming Fist has turned over a large amount of residuum that they obtained in their brief expedition in the Shadowfell to us. We are willing to accept two of your magical items--each--in exchange for the same amount of residuum it would take to enchant such items. In addition, I have arranged a small monetary compensation for each of you."
>> No. 6205 edit
"That's perfect. I need to get rid of this old cloak, I think I will acept your generous offer."
>> No. 6206 edit
File 13196462037.jpg - (511.83KB , 826x1169 , If Words Were Arrows I\'d Be A Target And You.jpg )
6206
>>6201
"If you don't mind me asking, is there anything that any of us can do for you in the meantime? I would like to make myself useful to you and help with whatever I can to bring down the Fell King."
>> No. 6207 edit
Sariel eyes the armour she's presently wearing, at least until she can find time to resize the robes...

"That sounds like a solid offer."
>> No. 6210 edit
File 129490478099.png - (257.40KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p5.png )
6210
"If you do not wish to take advantage of this opportunity now, we'll be happy to offer again later. However, we cannot offer exchanges for items that are too expensive, so please keep that in mind," Elayne cautions. She looks at Torinn, and response to his question, saying, "Perhaps you should ask the Flaming Fist. I would imagine they will have lots to do."

At this point, it seems that Mardoc and Halvangh have returned to examining the texts they have gathered. The eladrin wizard explains, "Well, your monetary reward is waiting for you at the secretary's desk near the entrance. Ask Molbin for them, he's waiting for you. We'll also make sure that the shaman gets the reward too."

Any exchanges or purchases you wish to make should be noted now, via IC or OOC posts.
>> No. 6211 edit
File 129643998318.png - (89.42KB , 291x478 , kan_waraia123.png )
6211
"Well, I think I will take the offer. Where I should go?"
Exchange bastard luckblade for 680 gp in reagents, also exchange cloak of resistance for 520 gp in reagents.
>> No. 6216 edit
File 131759531794.png - (537.11KB , 933x886 , sak_a12 default 1.png )
6216
Torinn nods, "I'll see if they have anything I can help with." He mentally goes over his inventory and decides that he can't think of anything to give away, or anything he wishes to purchase.
>> No. 6242 edit
File 129910793379.png - (253.80KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p2.png )
6242
Sureiya exchanges two of his magical items and receives 1200 worth of residuum in return.

Torinn heads to the Flaming Fist, and finds that they could use an extra hand in their patrols. In particular, the outer districts could use another person, as the noble districts are still under tight watch for assassination attempts.
>> No. 6243 edit
Sariel presents the arcanicum with her old shockweave armour, expecting monies.

"Quite a residuum hoarder, Sureiya," she mentions to the half-orc. "I'd be more than willing to lift some off of you and invest your weaponry for you."
>> No. 6244 edit
File 130456574185.png - (32.14KB , 200x200 , knightarou color.png )
6244
>>6242
"A patrol, huh? How nostalgic," Torinn muses, thinking back to his time in the Lance Defenders. And if the nobles are under watch, then somebody has to keep an eye out for the common folk. They deserve protection, too!

With that in mind, Torinn volunteers for the patrols.

>> No. 6289 edit
File 130606626814.png - (85.73KB , 291x478 , kan_komarua134.png )
6289
"A Patrol? Doesn't sound bad."
"That's good. I really need a new blade, and I would like a pair of boots, like the ones you did to Michael."
Saying this, Sureiya give to Sariel 840gp residium worth for the blade, and 520gp worth of residium for the boots. Also he left her another 100gp as a tip for her work.
"You see, I have never really liked wizards, from where I come some bastards use their arcane power to control the weak and the poor. However you seem to be different. I could stay here and bother you while you work, but I think joining the patrol is a wiser choice."
>> No. 6290 edit
>>6289
Sariel frowns. "Then, are you sure you should not be watching me to ensure I don't add a curse to your arms?"
>> No. 6291 edit
File 129611866875.png - (84.80KB , 291x478 , kan_nayamua42.png )
6291
>>6290
Sureiya become serious as he heard the word "curse", he probably doesn't think in pretty things every time he remember that word. However he change his gaze to a more calm one, and reply.
"A curse? ... if I irritated you in the past travel then allow me to apologize.
About staying ... well I doubt I could see notice if you were doing something ill to the equipment even if I was in front of you during the whole process.
However I will ask you to don't joke with such a thing. If you have no desire to work for a half scum as me I will search for someone else."
>> No. 6292 edit
... '3'

"Geez, I'll do it, I'll do it. Don't worry," Sariel mutters, while preparing rituals to get started... right there in the Arcanimus. "It's not like I'd profit from any of my allies dying. I'll be done in a few hours, so go do something else in the mean time."

need know what to enchant with etc
>> No. 6293 edit
File 130160247175.png - (85.38KB , 291x478 , kan_defa2.png )
6293
"Alright, I will leave it in your hands, I'll go join Torinn in the patrol.
Oh, and about the sword. I was looking for something that would allow me to hit hard my enemies but staying easy to use.
And thank you again."
>> No. 6305 edit
File 130420541920.jpg - (23.61KB , 120x158 , mb9.jpg )
6305
The spirit companion drags the drowsy-looking shaman to the group upstairs, book still in hand... There seems to be a trade of sorts happening.

I'll trade in goggles of aura sight (1000 gp) and then line up with the others for item enchants.
>> No. 6307 edit
File 130101422990.png - (318.54KB , 486x800 , 11125426_p1.png )
6307
Bernkastel exchanges her goggles (they do nothing) for 1000 residuum, and Sariel prepares to enchant Sureiya some more weaponry in the Arcanimus. Elayne is happy to arrange some space for the mage to go to work.

Torinn and Sureiya are sent to assist an elven sentry on his patrols of the lower class areas of the city. All seems quiet on the patrol; apparently even the general populace is scared to go out much with the current situation in the city.
>> No. 6308 edit
While patroling, Sureiya will try to get more information about the situation. Explaining about his job if it's needed to get some trust.
>> No. 6309 edit
File 129490478099.png - (257.40KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p5.png )
6309
From what Sureiya can gather from the townsfolk, it seems that people have been warned to keep off the streets as much as possible for the next week or so, because there is a high risk of a foreign incursion that could get out of hand. The details are sketchy from the mouth of the common people, though you'd guess the Flaming Fist has issued a warning to the people about possible reprisals from the Shadowfell.
>> No. 6311 edit
Uninterested in the tradefest, Myn goes to inquire about the monetary portion of the reward at the secretary's desk.
>> No. 6314 edit
File 129490478099.png - (257.40KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p5.png )
6314
Each of the group, on their own time, finds their way to receive 200 gold pieces in a small carrying pouch offered to them by the shardmind named Molbin, working behind a small desk a short distance from the entrance.

Sureiya and Torinn continue their patrols, and Sariel works at enchanting magical items. The rest of the party has their own tasks to attend to: Myn needs to visit the market, and Bernkastel needs to figure out what magical items would best aid her new field of study. Michael has something important to discuss with the duke.
>> No. 6319 edit
File 131760978037.png - (38.58KB , 151x204 , flip.png )
6319
The shaman points out several magic items from the book to Sariel, requesting similar enchantments.

Also a tip in the form of a magic amulet.


Give Sariel Amulet of Physical Resolve +1, and request:

>Tactician's Armor +1 on scale armor (1000 gp)
>Chieftain's Weapon +1 on a short spear (680 gp)
>Bracers of Mental Might (1800 gp)

I should have enough for this etc. Also spend 2 gp on two mundane whips.

>> No. 6320 edit
Less than pleased with the feeble sum, Myn wanders back to the market, browsing for a new set of bracers.

Search market for bracers of the perfect shot.
>> No. 6322 edit
File 129910793379.png - (253.80KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p2.png )
6322
Bernkastel adds her items to Sariel's enchanting task, and Myn finds a set of bracers of the perfect shot (level 3) for 727 gold pieces.

The day is passing quickly. Michael heads towards the ducal palace, intending to tell him of his plan, and encounters Sureiya and Torinn on the way. Perhaps it'd be better to go as a group?
>> No. 6326 edit
Sariel sighs at the increase of her workload, but dutifully works at it as she does recognise she offered to before.

And besides, the pay's reasonable for such elementary work.

>> No. 6330 edit
File 129490478099.png - (257.40KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p5.png )
6330
During her studies, Bernkastel is able to locate stratagems that date back to the Tuigan wars of 1359-1360. In particular, she begins to study the military strategies of Azoun IV of the Purple Dragon Knights.

Sureiya and Michael enter the ducal palace, and are quickly granted an audience with the grand duke in his throne chamber.

Meanwhile, on his patrol, Torinn encounters, of all people, Sid. The gnome approaches Torinn eagerly, and asks, "Hey, I recognize you! So! How'd ya like my S.S. Carpgristle 5000 treat ya out there? Bet she ran like a dream, eh?"
>> No. 6333 edit
File 129625045160.png - (26.45KB , 147x185 , diplomaticimmunity.png )
6333
>>6330
Torinn is rather surprised to see Sid on the streets, much less here in Baldur's Gate. Thinking back, he recalls something about him working for the Arcanimus... So that's what he was doing here. He greets the gnome all friendly-like, "You mean the craft you lent us? It was a huge asset to have a ship that could steer itself." Torinn says, "Though funnily enough it seemed to shut down whenever it encountered something like... An elemental leyline. That might actually be a good thing."

"But I must ask, what are you doing out in the streets?"
>> No. 6337 edit
>>6330
"Greetings again, Grand Duke. I have a proposal which you might like to hear about this whole Fell King situation based on the information I've been given from the Flaming Fist and what my allies discussed with you yesterday."
>> No. 6338 edit
Audio 33_-_The_Grand_Duchy_of_Jeuno.mp3 - (2.19MB , 33 - The Grand Duchy of Jeuno.mp3 )
6338
"I see," the grand duke replies to Michael. "I would like to hear this proposal, then. You adventurers are the ones who have faced the Fell King the most often, and I trust you know best how to deal with him."

Meanwhile, Sid replies to Torinn's inquiry as well, "Why, I was just on my way back to the Arcanimus. Was out gettin' some books on engineering from the craftsman's guild, ya know! But ya say an elemental leyline shut down the craft's function? Curious, most curious." Sid puts a hand to his chin and scratches it thoughtfully. "I suppose the spells weren't as fool-proof as I thought. Well, thanks for the information! It'll help me in the design of the Starlight Invincible Delver!"

After a moment, Sid looks back up at the dragonborn and addresses him in a more casual tone, "Oh, right! Did your mission go well, then? Meetin' with the orcs and all?"
>> No. 6339 edit
>>6338
"Well, it's more a proposal I thought up and discussed a little with my companions, to be honest. First off, I haven't been entirely forthcoming with who I am, though it isn't of much circumstance anyway. I hail from the East Rift, from a family of not too high noble standing, but enough to at least be of some influence.

Anyway, with the whole attack on the Fell King going as it went, and your forces not really able to afford another venture through the portal, and the suggestion of a small strike force going after the Fell King, I thought it would be best to offer some assistance if I can manage to rally some.

To be more precise, gathering some allies from the East Rift, the surrounding areas, and anyone willing to rally to the cause, to draw his attention away from the strike force with our gathered army or forces. It also possibly grants us an opportunity to recover those possibly still alive beyond the portal."
>> No. 6340 edit
File 132019706554.png - (26.17KB , 187x203 , console.png )
6340
"They did agree to pledge their support," Torinn answers, "One of them is helping us out at the Arcanimus, as a matter of fact."
>> No. 6341 edit
File 12983496168.png - (12.93KB , 700x700 , kan_majimea4.png )
6341
"Rei ya su" stay silent,waiting for the Duke answer.
"Geez, this surely sound as a nice plan, but fighting without Mike will be surely tough."
>> No. 6342 edit
File 129910793379.png - (253.80KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p2.png )
6342
The duke's eyes widen briefly at Michael's suggestion. It is a moment before he regains his composure, nodding and saying, "Indeed, if we had the forces for a frontal assault on the forces of the Fell King at a later date, when we are more prepared to contend with him, that would be a mighty boon to our cause. You have my thanks, and the thanks of Baldur's Gate, for even attempting such a thing."

After a brief hesitation, Prestor turns his attention to the half-orc and addresses his concern, "Hm, if you need a strong mercenary arm to aid you, I might be able to arrange something. A situation just arose that might be useful in that regard. I'll let you know the details later. I do not believe I'll be able to find as capable a leader as Michael Silversteel, but if it's a strong warrior you need, there may be something I can do."

"Interestin', interestin'" the gnome replies to Torinn, nodding his head briskly. "Whelp, if you ever need ole Sid's expertise on something, give me a hollar, ya hear?"
>> No. 6343 edit
File 129625045160.png - (26.45KB , 147x185 , diplomaticimmunity.png )
6343
>>6342
"Mmhmm, will do," Torinn replies, "And it was nice talking to you again, Sid. I should get back to my patrol now, though," he says, surveying the area for anything out of place, "Even off the job, I want to do my part to help out."
>> No. 6344 edit
File 130162151469.png - (84.98KB , 291x478 , ka2_fumana66.png )
6344
"We might need an extra guy, yes. But will you be able to get someone soon? I don't think we have a lot of spare time."
>> No. 6346 edit
>>6342

Michael nods, inwardly finding it surprising it went off so well, before saying,"I'm glad I could be of some assistance, Grand Duke."
>> No. 6348 edit
File 130101422990.png - (318.54KB , 486x800 , 11125426_p1.png )
6348
"I have something in mind. You should rest for now, by tomorrow I'll have the proper arrangements prepared. I appreciate your continued service to the cause of Baldur's Gate, and I'll do my best to see to it that you continue to receive repayment," Prestor explains. With that matter settled, Sureiaya and Michael are sent off from the palace.

Sid nods at the dragonborn and bows, then continues his trip to the Arcanimus.

The group assembles later in the evening at the Helm and Cloak, discovering that more rooms have been arranged for them, as well as meals and baths. Now is the time to decide if they want to discuss any plans or other things with each other, or make any last-minute arrangements, as the duke has implied that you will be given a new task in the morning.
>> No. 6352 edit
File 130653492123.png - (31.25KB , 264x309 , ehe.png )
6352
After Torinn finishes his shift, he pays one final visit to the Arcanimus. There he seeks out Elayne and presents the weapon that he received for work on the caravan and says, "I wish to take advantage of the offer you gave and trade this in, and buy a fair amount of residuum on top of that."

With that concluded, he meets up with everyone else at the Helm and Cloak, having worked up a fair appetite from going on patrol. When the opportunity presents itself, he pulls out a small satchel of residuum powder and the Vigilant Blade he had enchanted before, asking of Sariel, "I know you've been busy doing this all day, but could you do one last enchantment for me? I'd like a stronger weapon that can weaken my enemies so they won't cause us as much trouble." On top of that, he pays a small tip in the form of a few arcana reagents.

Trade in Farbond Spellblade for 520gp in residuum
Purchase 440gp of residuum (462 gold)
Ask Sariel to enchant Vigiliant Blade into Sacrificial Weapon +2, hand over 960gp of residuum plus 50 gp in arcana reagents

>> No. 6357 edit
Also trade in cloak of distortion and buy a plain longsword for enchantment
>> No. 6360 edit
Sariel glares briefly, then with a sigh and inaudible mumble sets to work. No rest for the wicked.
>> No. 6372 edit
File 129910793379.png - (253.80KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p2.png )
6372
>>6371
New thread!
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [First 100 posts]


Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason