[Burichan]  [Futaba]  [Nitronet]  [nitroib4f]  -  [WT]  [Home] [Manage]
We're back!

[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [First 100 posts]
Posting mode: Reply
Post a Reply
File 129464353753.png - (253.80KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p2.png )
78285 No. 78285 edit
https://app.roll20.net/join/1167985/MDUfjw

The group makes a number of travel preparations, anticipating an early departure on dragonback to Loudwater for their rendezvous with Sid. The five have a restful sleep at the Tavern of the Flagon Dragon, a higher-class establishment in the Castle Ward not too far from the famous Blackstaff Tower. Your expenses have been covered for this stay, as you act on the behalf of the Council of Waterdeep, and so long as you continue to do so, you don't have to worry about paying for an inn in the City of Splendors.

Your rest is largely uneventful, and as you gather outside the tavern--Torinn, Myn, Sureiya, and the mysterious shaman--you are approached by a pair of familiar faces. One is Remallia Haventree, and the other is the deva invoker who accompanied you some time ago, on your mission to the earthmote.

"A good morning to you all," Remallia says, bowing deeply. The moon elf woman is dressed seemingly for battle, in green scale draped with bits of purple cloth accenting it here and there, and a long, curved blade strapped to her back. She looks to Samel, and nods slightly, "I believe you know each other?"
Expand all images
>> No. 78286 edit
File 150709139433.jpg - (79.33KB , 372x600 , tumblr_oaw4t7r5OL1u912bgo1_400.jpg )
78286
"Yes, Ms. Remalia, blessings upon you for guiding me all the way here."

I speak to the group.

"I wished we would meet again in peaceful time, but after hearing what happened at Procampur. I am afraid I can't sit no longer.
I truly believe the binder of what's known made it my fate to purge the heretics from this land, and ours to meet anew.
Once again I must ask of you, not from my duke, but on my own behalf as I believe we share a common goal, will you let me join you?"

Last edited at 17/10/03(Tue)21:30:40
>> No. 78287 edit
File 137931471672.png - (13.03KB , 125x193 , mynportrait.png )
78287
>>78286

Myn's sleep was too restful, and he struggles to remember the invoker's name from the distant past.

"It is a pleasure to meet you again. Surely, it would be a foolish notion to refuse aid offered."

History check: 14
>> No. 78288 edit
File 129475012166.jpg - (62.52KB , 310x438 )
78288
>>78286
The shaman raises an eyebrow. She distantly recalls Samel having a focus on healing. "Mr... Samel? You want to go forth to kill people?"

Last edited at 17/10/05(Thu)16:18:55
>> No. 78289 edit
File 150710822649.jpg - (59.57KB , 900x675 , mion_and_shion_sonozaki_from_higurashi_by_funimati.jpg )
78289
Instinctly responding, Samel murmurs to himself.
"It is the call of the divine, for I am only his humble servant."


The Deva realizes a better explanation is necessary
"While it is true that my church does not condone killing others, I have knowledge redemption will be given for any of my acts.
The truth is Oghma himself entrusted me with a fragment of their divine power. It is a divine decree. The gods will be the judge of anyone who stays between me and my goal."

Going back to topic,

"While I do not know about your current undertaking, I do recall that ending the cult of dragons is in your agenda. Foolish or not Mr. Myn, Sureiya, Torinn and you too Ms. Bernkastel, let me be part of your expedition."

Last edited at 17/10/04(Wed)02:26:35
>> No. 78290 edit
>>78289
The dragonborn cocks his head to the side. "What would that goal be now?" He didn't distrust the cleric, but he felt that someone needed to ask.
>> No. 78292 edit
"Hey, it's been a while", energetically says the orc, joining the discussion.

"I heard you supported us during the attack against the Fell King alongside other ritual casters. You missed the real good action there", he says while nodding.

"But just like the shaman, I'm surprised seeing you motivated to well, "purge heretics"? What happened during these months?"
>> No. 78293 edit
File 150714262268.jpg - (182.59KB , 1280x1024 , anime_wallpaper_Higurashi_no_Naku_Koro_ni119-s1280.jpg )
78293
The invoker doesn't reply the expected answer.

“There are men who embrace destiny; these are the ones that change the world forever.”

"Samel the earbasher eh, but it's not like anyone could understand. Now then...


"Sureiya, whoever I was when we first met, has long left Faerûn and now resides in the spirit world. This is who I am now. The past, no, not even the future, the only thing that matters to me now is to stop them."

Last edited at 17/10/04(Wed)11:45:30
>> No. 78294 edit
>>78293
"That's... well" the ranger struggles the find the right words, and looks somewhat confused.

"I still don't understand your motivation, but if we have a common enemy, then you're welcome to join us, I say".
>> No. 78295 edit
>>78293

"While I too would like to catch up with Mister SaMyn mumbles, I am afraid that I have some business at the market before our departure. I shall endeavor to avoid causing undue delay."

The warlock swiftly proceeds to the market in search of:

incisive dagger +2 (4200gp)
cloak of translocation +2 (4200gp)
aversion staff +1 (520gp)
shadow warlock armor +2 (5000gp)
luckblade +1 (680gp)

intending to offer in exchange his:

sustaining cloak +2 (2600gp)
leather armor of dark majesty +2 (4200gp)



Last edited at 17/10/04(Wed)14:28:38
>> No. 78296 edit
Remallia smiles at seeing the party interact. She then adds, "Though I know your current quest is not directly related to attacking the dragon cult, any resources we could gain for our efforts is a boon, as our limited resources are why some of the parties involved are hesitant to commit more fully to our cause." She gives a short bow, and then adds, "And if I may, I might be able to demonstrate a small way in which the Harpers can aid your cause--a token of good faith, if you will, to perhaps weigh in our favor if you consider our allegiance a worthwhile asset."

OOC: Myn is able to make the exchanges and purchase the items in question, provided the coin can be provided.
>> No. 78297 edit
>>78296

Myn rejoins the group at a blistering 3.41 mph. The owlbear sniffs around Remalia's legs, sensing the possibility of a gift.
>> No. 78298 edit
"Fair enough. What might that token be?"
>> No. 78299 edit
File 150716231687.jpg - (592.31KB , 1163x1600 , Harper Teleportation Network.jpg )
78299
"Ah," the eladrin woman says in a somewhat surprised tone, trying to step away from the sniffing owlbear. "I think perhaps I have been misunderstood. The Harpers are not a wealthy group... for material rewards, the Lord's Alliance certainly has deeper coffers. What I can provide you with is connections." She unfurls a rather large scroll with several marked arcane circles in varying patterns inscribed upon it. "Thus, I place at your disposal the Harper network of teleportation circles. I am given to understand that Loudwater is your current destination, yes? Then I am pleased to reveal we have that location in our network."
>> No. 78300 edit
>>78299

"A marvelous prospect indeed, Miss Remallia. I cannot say I would miss the rigors of travel this may spare us."

"Even the eladrin can manage a decent offering once in a while."
>> No. 78301 edit
"Undeniably an impressive network, proof of resilience of an old organisation like the harpers. Anyhow, their focus isn't on me anymore."

Last edited at 17/10/04(Wed)19:43:04
>> No. 78302 edit
>>78295
Following the warlock, Sureiya also goes to do some shopping.

* Gonna need the following:
Quenchquiver longbow + 2 (2,600gp)
Elven Chain Shirt (4,200gp)
3 Frozen Whetstones (100gp x 3 = 300gp)
2 Dual arrows (200gp x 2 = 400gp)

* And selling the following:
Harmony Blade +2 - 4,200gp
Farbond Spellblade +2 - 2,600gp
Badge of Berserker +1 - 520gp


Last edited at 17/10/05(Thu)16:50:39
>> No. 78303 edit
File 12989609891.png - (10.42KB , 200x200 )
78303
>>78299
As the carrier of the teleportation ritual, the shaman takes the teleportation map. "Thank you. I suppose I should tell Mr. Valanor that we found a way to Loudwater."

The shaman then looks at the adventurers taking this newfound time to go shopping, and calls to them. "Please meet back at the Waterdeep teleportation circle."

The shaman decides to go to the appointed meeting place to tell Valanor that we found another way to Loudwater.

There may not be a need to roleplay the Valanor interaction for the sake of time. The shaman just tells him we can now teleport there thanks to Mrs. Remallia Haventree's Harper teleportation circle network, instead of taking up Valanor's valuable time, but thank him anyway.

Last edited at 17/10/05(Thu)16:24:26
>> No. 78304 edit
File 129490478099.png - (257.40KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p5.png )
78304
As the shaman and the ranger depart, Remalia turns to the remaining adventurers and gives another bow, saying, "Well, I'm certain you will make good use of it. The realm needs heroes like you, and I thank you for your service. Now, was there anything else?"

Sureiya meets plenty of merchants eager to do business, though some of them seem slightly less enthused about the discount his status affords him, they're nevertheless grateful for his patronage, as if having such a high-profile customer might attract more business by his very presence.

Meanwhile, "Bernkastel" meets with Valanor, who acknowledges this new information with a grateful bow, saying that he is happy to be of service any time, but is eager to get in contact with Thelkra and the metallic dragon council to apprise them of the ongoing situation.
>> No. 78305 edit
Shaking the orc off of his trail, Myn heads to the teleportation circle and assumes a state of standby.
>> No. 78306 edit
Still lost in his thoughts, Samel diligently show courtesy to the Eladrin before leaving to the teleportation pad.
>> No. 78308 edit
Torinn heads straight to the teleportation pad, not having any further business to conclude in town.
>> No. 78309 edit
File 129490478099.png - (257.40KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p5.png )
78309
The party finishes their shopping and goodbyes, with Remalia wishing them a fond farewell, and arrives at the Waterdeep branch of the Arcanimus. They meet once more in the large circular room that houses the teleportation circle with little fuss, as they are well-known in this establishment by this point, and the only other occupant of the room at this point is the warforged male who was watching over it when you previously arrived.
>> No. 78310 edit
After the ranger meets the party again, he goes directly to the dragonborn.

"While I was studying on the temple, I had a recurring dream. Ragrim's sword, I could feel it trying to tell something to me. It was very strange, but I decided I should find out if there's something special about it."

Then, Sureiya shows the paladin his savings, coins, gems and other wealthy objects.
"I'm willing to offer you your fair share of loot if you would hand the artefact to me."
>> No. 78311 edit
>>78310
Torinn blinks. "That sounds ominous. Are you certain that this is a good idea?"
>> No. 78312 edit
>>78311
"I'm prepared to find out if it is" the ranger answers, confident.
>> No. 78313 edit
>>78312
Torinn looks uneasy, but he trusts Sureiya can handle himself.

Trade away Nightfall
>> No. 78314 edit
The ranger handles Torinn his loot and takes Nightfall. Immediately, he begins testing its property of splitting and becoming a single weapon. Once he's satisfied he looks now to the party anf says, "Well, I'm ready now. Should we be going?".
>> No. 78315 edit
File 150744512551.jpg - (55.47KB , 564x840 , blue armor.jpg )
78315
>>78309
The shaman appears later than one would expect, considering she did not say she had to do shopping. It's apparent that she did go somewhere, though, since she's now in blue leather armor. Also, in addition to the brooch she had, she now wears another pendant: a small, multicolored disc attached to a thin chain.

Once she sees the adventurers have gathered, she asks, "Should I cast the Linked Portal, then?"

With no objections or interruptions, she takes out her ritual book, the scroll containing the target portal address, and 50 gp of reagents and begins casting, which would take ten minutes.

Pic related: the armor. Also making some power and item adjustments, some assumed to be done yesterday.

Power change: Replacing Emerald Lure for Sly Fox Spirit.

Item changes:
Start: 3555.63 gp + 3500 Alchemical Reagents
>Sell Symbol of Daring +1: +1000 gp
>Sell Tactician's Armor +2: +5000 gp
>Transfer Goblin Totem enchantment to a dagger: -25 gp through the Transfer Enchantment ritual (which Sid probably had when the shaman copied rituals from him)
>Buy/Enchant Symbol of Scorned Fate +1: -1000 gp
>Buy/Enchant Flowform Armor +2: -4200 gp
>Buy/Enchant Elven Chain Shirt (Heroic Tier): -4200 gp
Remaining: 3630.63 gp's worth of stuff. I'll keep 2000 as Alchemical Reagents and have the remaining 1630.63 gp be gold.


Last edited at 17/10/08(Sun)00:06:03
>> No. 78316 edit
Samel watches the unfolding of the ritual while keeping an eye on Sureiya.
>> No. 78317 edit
File 130101422990.png - (318.54KB , 486x800 , 11125426_p1.png )
78317
The shaman casts the spell, opening a portal on the Arcanimus's teleportation circle and linking it to the corresponding Harper portal in Loudwater. Once open, the party passes through, emerging in a very small room with wood-paneled walls and ceiling. You're not quite sure where you are, and the room is only illuminated by a single everburning torch placed in a lantern that hangs from the ceiling over the teleportation circle etched into the stone floor. As you emerge into the roughly twenty foot by twenty foot room, a portion of the wall in front of you slides open, and in steps a halfling that a few members of the party might be able to identify as Marsh Laval, the proprietor of the Green Tankard Tavern.

"Welcome, welcome!" the halfling booms, stepping into the room and sliding the panel back in place behind him. "They sent me you'd be comin', so I've been expecting a signal ping from our circle." Looking to Torinn, Myn, and "Bernkastel" in particular, he says, "Good to see yas back in Loudwater! I'm not exactly a Harper agent, but I'm keepin' them informed of goin's-ons in Loudwater. We do have a Harper somewhere around town, but I don't seem 'em much. Imagine you'll be runnin' into 'em soon, name's Ruha. She's some kinda witch, and appears and vanishes seemingly at random." Marsh sure seems to like to talk.
>> No. 78318 edit
>>78317

"Thank you for the warm reception. I do not suppose that you've happened to hear of a Mister Sid waiting for our arrival?"
>> No. 78319 edit
File 14001495033.png - (15.35KB , 183x189 )
78319
>>78317
>>78318
"And is there anything we should be aware of, here?" adds the shaman.
>> No. 78320 edit
File 129490478099.png - (257.40KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p5.png )
78320
"Ah, Sid the gnome! Yah, he's stayin' right in this inn. Didn't know you were with him, he's pretty tight-lipped about why he's here," the halfling replies easily to Myn's question. "Think he's still in his room. And..." he turns to face "Bernkastel" and says, "Dunno what you mean! Life here in Loudwater's same as usual. Think something weird's goin' down in the Dire Wood, but that's a ways off. Dunno the details myself."
>> No. 78321 edit
File 130100423811.png - (6.59KB , 217x157 , georgeheh.png )
78321
>>78320

"If the situation in the forest were dire, it would hardly be weird, so that must not be the case. We may as well complete our rendezvous with Mister Sid."

Myn motions for a departure.
>> No. 78322 edit
File 150758011862.jpg - (28.09KB , 400x400 , Image-1468934254.jpg )
78322
Not being so familiar with the halfling, the ranger limits himself to ask, "Could you lead us to Sid's room?"

Last edited at 17/10/09(Mon)13:15:18
>> No. 78323 edit
File 150758625289.jpg - (32.08KB , 400x400 , limbo.jpg )
78323
"No quarrel here."
To confirm his involvement among the group, Samel adds.

"Yes, please, we must meet with him at once."
>> No. 78324 edit
File 130466399513.jpg - (17.31KB , 167x225 , sid.jpg )
78324
The halfling bows respectfully and says, "Of course, of course, if you'll follow me..." Sliding the wood-paneled wall aside once more, he leads the party out of the small room and into what appears to be the inn's cellar, which is filled with casks and barrels. "The Harpers and their affiliates use this circle, and there aren't many others who know about it--hells, you're probably maybe one of a dozen or so outside the Harper ranks who do know just where it is!" Once you exit, he makes sure to slide the wall back into place. Upon doing so, the wall appears nearly seamless--it would be nigh-impossible to find if you didn't already know it was there.

Once in the cellar, Marsh leads you upstairs, through the kitchen area, and into the inn's common room, where you immediately spot your tinker gnome companion descending the stairs, apparently fully-equipped and ready to go. He quickly spots you and waves, then hurries over. Marsh bows once more, and leaves the party and Sid to grab a table and begin discussion.

"Ah, sprockets! Good to see you again, fellows!" Sid nods to the group, then quickly begins to elaborate, "Things haven't been proceeding as quickly as perhaps would've been a worst-case scenario here, which we can be thankful for. How did that scrap at the Well of Dragons go?"
>> No. 78325 edit
File 150759037011.jpg - (11.39KB , 201x240 , Kanon_(Umineko)_240_130451.jpg )
78325
"Well, I just heard it from my father, but the expedition to the Well of Dragons was..." Sureiya mutters, a little unsure of how to explain it.

"What matters is that we're here now. What is the situation? We just arrived to this Inn using a teleportation circle," he continues. "Have you confronted the outsiders?"
>> No. 78326 edit
"Great googly-moogly, no! A confrontation would be ill-advised indeed on my own! However, I have had the cooperation of the locals in gathering information," Sid exclaims in response. He then lowers his voice and begins to elaborate, "It seems these... interlopers, so to speak, have set up camp around a great metallic tower that has recently erupted out of the earth in the Dire Wood, not too far from Loudwater." He pauses for a moment, looking somewhat guilty, then adds, "I would be remiss to not mention that I know these interlopers to some degree... they appear to be a remnant of a rather militant nation from Abeir. You see... I am from Abeir." He nods and stops talking for a moment, as if to give the party time to absorb this revelation--that Sid is not in fact native to Toril, but instead its parallel world.

"In Abeir, there was a mighty empire that stretched across the continent of Othard into Aldenard and most recently into Laerakond; the continent known in this realm as Returned Abeir. In the absence of divine magic, the Abeiran Empire turned to other means to combat the constant existential threats of dragons and primordials. A blend of arcane magic and technology," Sid elaborates in a gravely serious tone. "As you might have suspected, I know all this because I was once a member of that Imperial Remnant, which exists now in Returned Abeir. That is how I came to be trained as an artificer. And I was a damned good one too, the best in the empire until my defection. Over time I... became more and more disillusioned with the totalitarian agenda of the regime. It's well and good to defend we humanoids from slavery or destruction at the hands of the dragons and the primordials, but I have no interest in subjugating the people of this realm!"

OOC: Bernkastel (Passive Insight) You sense that there is more to the story of Sid's defection than that--that pause indicated that there was something he could have said, but didn't.

He places the weapon that he presented to the party before on the table, the hybrid of firearm and blade. "This weapon was commonly wielded by the empire's military forces. I didn't think they'd send expeditions across the sea to Faerûn--I assumed the war with the empress dragon Gauwer and her vassals in Skelkor would be occupying what resources the Remnant has available. You see, the Imperial Remnant here in Toril is but a pale shadow of the empire that existed in Abeir; only a few strongholds established in Laerakond as a precursor to invasion were transported to this realm. Without access to the vast ceruluem reserves of our homeland... at any rate, their presence here is a mystery. A potentially dangerous one."

The tinker gnome again pauses here to catch his breath and wait for questions.
>> No. 78327 edit
File 150760814627.png - (137.77KB , 330x409 , kanon__umineko_no_naku_koro_ni_by_maverick1759.png )
78327
"We... aren't short of surprises, are we?" Sureiya snorts, still absorbing the information from the gnome.

"Our priority should be finding why they are here, I think. If it is possible, it would be good not having to defeat a whole army again. We got our hands full with the Cult of Dragon" he concludes.
>> No. 78328 edit
File 131760978037.png - (38.58KB , 151x204 )
78328
>>78326
The shaman perks up momentarily at the mention of absence of divine magic, and then again when Sid pauses, but she listens to the end.

"...I see? Does that mean you know some of their weaknesses, Mr. Silversprocket?" The shaman asks while leaning over the strange weapon to examine it. "And what would you like for us to do here?"

Last edited at 17/10/09(Mon)21:13:20
>> No. 78329 edit
File 130466399513.jpg - (17.31KB , 167x225 , sid.jpg )
78329
Sid looks to the shaman and nods, "Certainly. Their most important weakness is their lack of manpower. They have sufficient numbers that I would hesitate to approach them alone--one of them might get the idea that they need to try and question me, but with adventurers like you around, they wouldn't dare. You're far too strong for a bunch of conscripts to challenge, and I imagine there aren't many left from the old empire, not enough for both here and Returned Abeir." He takes a moment to take a swig from a flask that he has produced from his garments, and lets out a long sigh.

The tavern is mostly empty right now, oddly--and the few patrons therein are keeping their distance, perhaps put off by the presence of unusual denizens like dragonborn and owlbears. That hasn't stopped Marche from chatting away, apparently oblivious to the mood of the room, with a patron at the bar. Sid slowly begins to elaborate, "The problem is, I also might have an idea of what it is they're so interested in out there. And if it's what I think it is, there's no way we can just stand by while they get it all--it appears to be a remnant of an immense, ancient, mobile fortress that the Abeiran Empire built just before the coming of the Spellplague. If they begin to master the technology contained inside, they could cause a lot of problems for the Lords' Alliance an others--and that's a distraction they don't need right now."
>> No. 78331 edit
File 130100084042.png - (24.16KB , 223x246 , georgewaaait.png )
78331
>>78329

"Are you certain that they intend an assault with this technology, Mister Sid? Moreoever, even with this mobile fortress, would a faction so lacking in manpower be able to pose a real threat?"

The owlbear begins to investigate the tavern's tables for unattended foodstuffs.
>> No. 78332 edit
File 129457034059.png - (8.75KB , 107x107 )
78332
>>78329
"Then would you like for us to help sabotage the documents? Or their equipment? We could also try and take away their artificers, or try to put one of their officials under our sway," the shaman lists some ideas.

Last edited at 17/10/10(Tue)16:47:47
>> No. 78333 edit
File 150767988661.jpg - (42.54KB , 960x540 , umineko-animu-kanon-on-the-phone.jpg )
78333
Not being the brightest chessmaster commander, the ranger silently ponders, and offers a loaf of bread to the hungry owlbear.

Then, he remembers something.
"The locals assisted you? You mean Ruha, the Harper?"

Last edited at 17/10/10(Tue)17:10:49
>> No. 78334 edit
>>78333

The owlbear instantly consumes the bread and proceeds to gnaw on the half-orc's predator's hide +2.
>> No. 78335 edit
File 130466399513.jpg - (17.31KB , 167x225 , sid.jpg )
78335
Sid motions conversationally as he adds, "I am not proposing we take any hostile action just yet. It is as you say, Mister Nthelsyr, we do not yet know their motives. Showing in force is merely a precaution for, as I said, they are highly militant, and may hold a grudge against me in particular." The gnome now looks troubled, adding, "And yet... if it is indeed what I suspect, then the technology contained within is not mere weaponry like the thing I found earlier. It's... perhaps later I can tell you the full story, but for now..." Shaking his head, he regains his confidence and explains, "What I can tell you is that it is extraordinarily powerful--and extraordinarily dangerous. Even if the Remnant would not use it against the people of Faerûn, if it were to fall into more dangerous hands...! Such technology must be studied and safeguarded, and, well, it should be clear I do not trust the Imperial Remnant to do an adequate job of that!"

Finally addressing the half-orc's question, Sid replies, "I can't say any Harper agents have made their presence known to me, but the local wizard Curuvar has been of some help, as well as the local town leader, Lady Moonfire, who has given me the run of the place."
>> No. 78336 edit
File 129652691796.jpg - (79.78KB , 640x480 , 129824574084.jpg )
78336
"Do you want to negotiate with a militant civilization that hates you? Well sure, but what do we even have to offer to them?" the ranger doubts, making some sense.
>> No. 78337 edit
File 150775204249.png - (174.68KB , 200x200 , 2822d038bc38af8fd948446f8420f68e1226788926_large.png )
78337
Samel who has been quietly observing the meeting doesn't have any particular opinion about how to handle this matter.

"Why can't he just ask the highlord?" he is thinking.

Not wanting to bring back the subject since Mister Sid already dismissed the idea, he thinks.
"Poor souls who do not worship the divines cannot be trusted with such technology."

For the scholar, something more important matters.
"This strange technology, a parallel world, a godless empire, this is the opportunity that Oghma has given me. I will not disappoint him."


Last edited at 17/10/11(Wed)13:05:12
>> No. 78338 edit
File 130466399513.jpg - (17.31KB , 167x225 , sid.jpg )
78338
"Hates is... perhaps not the best way to put it. I'm not certain they'll regard me with much more than disdain. Still, it could be dangerous, and that's why I want you along," Sid explains, idly leaning back in his chair. "As for what we can use as negotiation, well, my technical expertise of course. I dislike bragging overmuch, but I am confident that my own knowings of this thing will be quite valuable to them. Which is why I think they might try to get it by force if they felt they could." Nodding, he says simply, "We have a bargaining chip. And it could even get me in a position to make sure this thing poses no threat to us."
>> No. 78339 edit
File 131363047554.png - (37.96KB , 153x260 )
78339
>>78338
The shaman stares. "Is... that all? Mr. Silversprocket, what are you planning to say to them, exactly? Is there some benefit in making them aware of your existence?"
>> No. 78340 edit
File 130320172546.png - (121.33KB , 700x700 )
78340
"I thought we weren't letting them get this piece of technology, Sid. How can your knowledge about this ancient stuff can be of any worth to them if they aren't going to keep it?" the ranger continues his questioning, even more confused than before.
>> No. 78341 edit
File 130466399513.jpg - (17.31KB , 167x225 , sid.jpg )
78341
"What we say will depend on who we're dealing with. I don't know who's in charge there. Look... if you want to try and get us inside without them knowing, we can certainly try," Sid sighs. "I just don't think it's going to work out, unless you want to deal with them without me. They won't listen to anything you have to say without me in tow, so it'll be a fight for sure. And if we sneak in and are discovered, also a fight. I was trying to avoid that for at least as long as possible. We don't know the exact situation, so while I appreciate your suggestions, I don't know what good deciding on a definitive plan of action is right now. I can simply lay out our options: if you don't want to try and have me negotiate, it's almost certainly going to be a fight. If I could get access to the interior of that thing, maybe I can sabotage it. Or... communicate with it. Something. I'll have a better idea of what I'm dealing with once I have a look at it."

Leaning forward and clasping his hands together, Sid elaborates, "Look, I know they built this thing. If it's what I think it is. But I don't know the details of its design. I know how our tech works in general. But there were... complications with this thing's development. I don't know the nature of them. If we go in there, and we're trying to deal with both that thing and the Imperials at the same time... I was trying to avoid that. At least as long as we could. Which I admit, may not be long, but I thought it was worth a shot."
>> No. 78342 edit
File 130025406583.png - (274.76KB , 450x505 , 7cc87a22f161e1c7c22ab87ec226ac8b.png )
78342
>>78341

"I suppose the most prudent course of action would be to gather information on-site, even before attempting any contact. It will hardly be too late to decide on a concrete strategy after assessing the situation there."
>> No. 78343 edit
"He's right, and that's something I can take care of" the ranger says, nodding.

Then, he adds.
"During my stay on Tymora's temple I saw a ritual that allowed the caster to remain stealthy and leave no tracks. Perhaps Sid or someone here might know such ritual?"
>> No. 78344 edit
File 129910793379.png - (253.80KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p2.png )
78344
Sid nods sagely in response to Myn. "I agree. Once we see the tower with our own eyes, we can decide how to best approach the scenario." Looking to Sureiya, he notes, "Unfortunately, I do not believe I possess any rituals to aid in stealth, but I will make it a priority in the future!"
>> No. 78345 edit
"That shouldn't be a problem, I came prepared to assist you in any way I can. I will make us as stealthy as a shadow in the night. I can even manipulate wind now, in fact."laugh the half invoker.

Last edited at 17/10/12(Thu)13:41:39
>> No. 78346 edit
File 150784803623.jpg - (37.61KB , 500x500 , 234234234.jpg )
78346
"Very well, then we probably should get ready to scout the place" Sureiya replies, while nodding.

"It's the empire base very far away from here, Sid?"
>> No. 78347 edit
File 15078523886.jpg - (118.30KB , 800x600 , i_m_sorry_for_being_born_by_corenb-d78qz3o.jpg )
78347
Samel continues
"Yes, all I need is... Eh, by the divines, it can't be!"
Confused, he spends a minute desperately looking at his belongings for something.

"Here maybe? No, not there either,nonono no! The bones, oh lord the bones! What happened to my bones!!"

"Was it Remallia? My set of tiny bells, the silver wire that my teacher entrusted me, the precious soul jar!! Gone! Everything is gone."
Fastthinker, the Deva asks
"Mister Sid, I know this is sudden, but wouldn't you be capable of crafting a magic focus that simulates the symbolic property of an ankle bone with a set of runes, wouldn't you?"

Last edited at 17/10/12(Thu)16:53:46
>> No. 78348 edit
File 130101422990.png - (318.54KB , 486x800 , 11125426_p1.png )
78348
"Erm... I don't think that ritual would work without the bone itself. I-I could craft something if I had the base materials perhaps, but I don't think I can simply make something else to stand in..." Sid replies apologetically. Turning to Sureiya he replies, "No, no, not far, the tower is perhaps a day-and-a-half's travel on foot from here!"
>> No. 78349 edit
Realising that what he just asked wouldn't work, the scholar tries hard to regain his composure.
"Oh, no, no... I learned those things in Procampur. Bored noblewomen often come up with various methods of self-amusement.
I regret to say Mister Sureiya, that the ritual requires the graven heel bone of a deceased humanoid, set with jet and platinum. Those... unusual items could be hard to find here in Loudwater. I apologize, everyone."
>> No. 78350 edit
File 15078555941.jpg - (21.39KB , 440x246 , 123123123123.jpg )
78350
Sureiya makes a simple understanding nod "That's fine, I had seen the ritual before but I didn't know much else. In any case I should just try to be careful, so I don't get caught."

Then, using Samel's idea, he makes a question to the gnome. "But maybe, could you craft something to help me to remain hidden?"

Requesting Sid to enchant a pair of Boots of Stealth (680gp)
>> No. 78351 edit
File 129910793379.png - (253.80KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p2.png )
78351
Sid nods. "It'll take a bit of time, but certainly! You should know that item creation is my specialty!" Looking to the rest of the group, he asks, "Any further questions or planning before I see to that?"
>> No. 78352 edit
File 129913345196.jpg - (40.44KB , 249x259 , georgebright.jpg )
78352
>>78351

"I would personally advise we complete any other business and depart as soon as possible. It would be best to remedy the situation in the forest before it should have a chance to become weird."

The owlbear nods in agreement, tugging on the predator's hide +2 in its beak as it does so.
>> No. 78353 edit
File 129457034059.png - (8.75KB , 107x107 )
78353
>>78349
"Would you like to look for a replacement in Loudwater? Or, if you like, I can bring you to Waterdeep and back. It would cost about 100 gold pieces to teleport using existing circles twice," suggests the shaman.
>> No. 78354 edit
>>78353
" <sigh> Yes, going back to Waterdeep is the easiest way to get everything we need. Let's make it quick."
Samel asks everyone else.
"Unless someone has a better idea."
>> No. 78355 edit
File 129826350079.png - (16.76KB , 125x101 )
78355
>>78354
The shaman sighs too. "I think I will try teleporting to Waterdeep's Harper circle. ...Mr. Silversprocket, it's been a while since you've been to Waterdeep, right? Would you like to come, too? And... anyone else? The shaman asks the others. "Should we also decide where to meet back? Maybe the bar is fine."

Given the organizational details are sorted out and there's not much to RP, the shaman will cast Linked Portal from Loudwater's Harper circle back to Waterdeep's Harper circle (not city circle).
>> No. 78356 edit
"I'll stay here with Sid, and I might try doing some shopping myself," Sureiys says.

During thr interlude, hand Sid the magical reagents and go shop a pair of footpads
>> No. 78357 edit
>>78355
"...Still, should we not at least check a local store for the ritual focus first?"
>> No. 78358 edit
File 129490478099.png - (257.40KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p5.png )
78358
"I believe I will stay here and focus on performing the ritual to enchant Sureiya's boots," Sid replies, hopping off his chair. "Our half-elven friend's advice is well-taken, we shouldn't tarry overlong."

Sureiya has no problems turning up a set of footpads for their list price at Garwan's Curiosities, as the general store carries just a little bit of almost everything, as well as assorted curiosities that the proprietor thinks might be valuable.
>> No. 78359 edit
File 150793335131.jpg - (75.74KB , 507x800 , roar.jpg )
78359
>>78357
"Got it, let's have a look first."
>> No. 78360 edit
File 130101422990.png - (318.54KB , 486x800 , 11125426_p1.png )
78360
Unfortunately, a thorough search of Garwan's Curiosities by the deva doesn't turn up anything that could theoretically be used as a focus for that particular ritual.
>> No. 78361 edit
"Out of luck, but expected. Let's go back to Waterdeep, Ms. Bernkastel."
>> No. 78362 edit
File 131050860887.png - (90.76KB , 214x370 )
78362
>>78361
"......"

The shaman nods quietly, walking back to the Harper circle at the bar. She doesn't look too happy.
>> No. 78363 edit
>>78362
"I changed my mind. We can teleport to the Arcanimus circle, and you can return once you find what you need."
>> No. 78364 edit
File 129910793379.png - (253.80KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p2.png )
78364
After using Linked Portal to get back to Waterdeep, Samel has little trouble tracking down what he needs--the Arcanimus is well-stocked in focii for arcane rituals, and provides him one at cost. They return to Loudwater with good haste, and Sid finishes enchanting a set of boots of stealth. It seems the party is fully set to head out.
>> No. 78365 edit
File 140713091182.png - (36.33KB , 128x128 , owlbear.png )
78365
>>78364

The spirtual center of the party heads out.
Myn follows.

>> No. 78367 edit
File 15081438095.jpg - (12.76KB , 200x268 , chaoticbaka.jpg )
78367
"Now now, making us stealthy isn't the only trick up my sleeve. Give me space, companions."
He casts phantom steed outside town, and designates every member + sid during the ritual.(35) 15 speed! (8RP left)
Black, ghostly horses impatiently waiting to run like the wind appears from the mist of the ritual.
"My precious mounts can even run on water" the deva adds, proudly.
>> No. 78368 edit
File 150819396999.jpg - (86.29KB , 1600x1067 , mfw.jpg )
78368
The ranger inspects for a moment the spoopy horses and mounts one of them with determination.

"It feels like it's been ages since we're on an adventure, don't you agree?" he jokes, waiting on everyone else to depart.
>> No. 78369 edit
File 150820146948.png - (396.22KB , 481x342 , loudwater area.png )
78369
Between the phantom steeds Samel summons for the party and Torinn's loyal pegasus, the group is able to make it quite close to their destination in the Dire Wood in less than a day. The remainder of the town of Loudwater gives them a wide berth as they exit, as they make for a somewhat strange bunch, but there's no hostility aimed towards them.

The trek through the heavily forested area towards the Dire Wood proves uneventful, and the group makes camp as they near their destination to make certain you have plenty of daylight for whatever you need to do the following day. Early the next morning, you begin to spot hints of a tall metallic tower in the distance, rising for a great distance above the treetops. Torinn is the first to spot it when flying above ground on the pegasus, and relays this information to the rest. It would seem you are within a few miles of your destination, so perhaps it would be a good idea to decide how you wish to approach--send the ranger to scout ahead, attempt aerial surveillance, or another method?
>> No. 78370 edit
File 130025488894.jpg - (216.72KB , 600x450 , 5303333.jpg )
78370
>>78369

"I propose that we send our most elusive member ahead, while the rest of us follow at a slight delay, ready to assist if he is discovered. Surely entering the tower undetected would be the best course of action if we wish to gather information."

Myn gestures to the owlbear.

"If nobody is confident in this task, perhaps my companion will suffice. I doubt anyone would think it strange to see an owlbear in this forest."


(Nature) Owlbear Lore: 13
>> No. 78371 edit
File 129652691796.jpg - (79.78KB , 640x480 , 129824574084.jpg )
78371
Now equipped with the magic boots Sid crafted for him, the ranger. Then he replies to the breeder of the armor-eating machine.

"It should be easy to gather some intel, but actually getting inside the tower? Hmmp, well, perhaps with the ritual's help..." he ponders.
>> No. 78372 edit
"Maybe we should wear those cultist robes. And I could get us inside a stone building, but... not a metal one. I think there may be potions that can help, but we would need a lot of them."
>> No. 78373 edit
"Before we do anything, I need everyone to join me as I perform the ritual." says Samel, preparing the ingredients.

He casts ghost walk (religion 17,-4rp 4rp left)

Last edited at 17/10/17(Tue)09:59:41
>> No. 78374 edit
"The cultist robes? Ah, my father told me about what you did on the Well of the dragons, that was clever" the ranger admits. "They do indeed look awful, but what point there is in using them now?" he asks, while admiring the cleric casting the ritual.
>> No. 78375 edit
File 130842706258.png - (36.63KB , 458x434 )
78375
>>78373
The shaman prepares to join the ritual as well.

>>78374
"It would disguise us, and maybe mislead the Abier people into thinking the Cult is involved."
>> No. 78376 edit
File 150826286593.jpg - (293.79KB , 600x750 , pettan_pettan_tsurupettan_by_kl_chan.jpg )
78376
"It's quite annoying... but as long it doesn't slow me down, I'll use it" Sureiya replies, taking the robes and the mask from his bag and dressing them.

Equip boots of stealth, footpads, and the cult robes + mask.
>> No. 78377 edit
File 13164172561.jpg - (37.52KB , 193x288 , georgeuguu.jpg )
78377
>>78372

"While wearing the robes may provide another enemy for the cultists, it would likely also complicate diplomacy, should the opportunity present itself. Moreover, if we succeed in our task, the imperial remnants would likely be too weak to offer a decent offensive, and if we fail, undoubtedly they would clash against the cult at some point regardless."

Despite his words, Myn doesn't seem to be strongly against ruling out diplomacy.

"As for entering the tower, perhaps I could ferry us through a window. Although, given that it erupted from the earth, it would be unfortunate to start at the top, should the important areas be in a basement level."
>> No. 78378 edit
File 12989609891.png - (10.42KB , 200x200 )
78378
>>78377
"On the other hand, if no opportunity for diplomacy presents itself, or it even fails, which... I think likely, it would be far better to redirect their aggression to the Cult, rather than us. Regardless, I believe it critical to be disguised, as much as keeping them unaware of Mr. Silversprocket."

The shaman thinks. "I suppose it's possible to take off the Cultist disguises as necessary, too. And at least, I think there is no reason against disguising Mr. Sureiya at this time."
>> No. 78379 edit
File 133980368969.jpg - (12.34KB , 124x105 , georgedyuu.jpg )
78379
>>78378

"I suppose that's reasonable."

The owlbear stops pulling at Sureiya's clothes.
>> No. 78380 edit
File 14411429635.png - (44.95KB , 205x332 )
78380
>>78379
The shaman looks upward for a moment, before turning back to the party. "Maybe sending Mr. Sureiya as a cultist to spy on and steal from them, and then letting them catch a glimpse of him as a Cultist thief would make them sufficiently hostile against the Cult to cooperate with any adventurers investigating Cult presence near Loudwater. We could use it as a starting point for diplomacy, using the Cult as a common enemy.'
>> No. 78381 edit
File 130022147381.png - (7.32KB , 124x105 , georgebu.png )
78381
>>78380

"I believe that course of action is acceptable, save for that it should be left as a backup if he should be detected. If we manage to enter unnoticed, would it not offer a greater advantage than being let in while they are aware of us, even if not initially hostile? If we are discovered, we need merely exit swiftly, and return undisguised."
>> No. 78382 edit
File 131120665080.png - (6.08KB , 35x45 )
78382
>>78381
The shaman nods. "Okay. Maybe we can try again if Mr. Sureiya is undetected but there still remains something to steal."
>> No. 78383 edit
"Wait, I'm not sure even if I will find an opening to the tower!" the ranger says.
"I will infiltrate if it seems reasonable, but I won't risk letting those steelheads capture me."
>> No. 78384 edit
>>78383
The shaman looks to Sid. "Should we spend some time preparing potions for Mr. Sureiya, so that he can enter and escape more easily?"
>> No. 78385 edit
File 130466399513.jpg - (17.31KB , 167x225 , sid.jpg )
78385
"Oh, certainly! Anything to make the reconnaissance safer; I'll follow your lead," Sid says enthusiastically, apparently happy to be able to help with his non-combat skillset.
>> No. 78386 edit
File 129824298359.png - (16.50KB , 130x130 )
78386
>>78385
"Thank you, Mr. Silversprocket, though it would be inappropriate for me to be leading the expert in this matter. Oh, in that case, Mr. Samel, please hold off on the ritual."

The shaman describes a few ideas for items that could be useful, wondering if Sid knows of ways to become harder to find, or to teleport through tower walls. She also removes her glasses and gloves for Sureiya's use.

Loaned to Sureiya for this mission:
> The shaman's Reading Spectacles (can read any language)
> The shaman's Hedge Wizard's Gloves (Prestidigitation + Mage Hand as standard actions)
> Ideally, Myn's Incisive Dagger +2 (daily teleport, and added teleport distance when using a power to teleport)
(The shaman should probably keep her Enshrouding Candle to hide the bigger group in an emergency.)

Crafted for this mission:
> Enchant a Staff of the Traveler +1 (1000 gp) - http://funin.space/compendium/item/Staff-of-the-Traveler.html
> Enchant Bracers of Brachiation (1000 gp) - http://funin.space/compendium/item/Bracers-of-Brachiation.html
> Brew an Elixir of Chameleon Power (125 gp) - http://funin.space/compendium/item/Elixir-of-Chameleon-Power.html
> Total 2125 gp. Dividing the cost by five (the five adventurers, excluding Sid), each person would pay 425 gp.

Cheaper, more limited / consumable alternatives:
> http://funin.space/compendium/item/Breaching-Armor.html
> http://funin.space/compendium/item/Boots-of-Jaunting.html
> http://funin.space/compendium/item/Fey-Step-Potion.html
> http://funin.space/compendium/item/Elixir-of-Levitation.html
> http://funin.space/compendium/item/Elixir-of-Flying.html

>> No. 78387 edit
Torinn looks like the pale specter of death after donning the robes and climbing on Rutger.

"Need a lift?"
>> No. 78388 edit
The ranger nods in response to the paladin, then he mounts the flying horse and takes out his spyglass.
>> No. 78389 edit
Rutger's wings flap mightily and kick up small dust clouds. The pegasus ascends higher until the Torinn signals for him to stop.
>> No. 78390 edit
File 14561600819.png - (36.22KB , 196x515 , alexander arm 1.png )
78390
Sid hurriedly begins to cast the proper rituals to enchant the necessary items, clearly not expected to be burdened with such a long list. In the distance, with the aid of the Spyglass, Sureiya can more clearly make out the tower--a curious structure made entirely of metal, with what appear to be pipes protruding from the top of which seem to occasionally emit blasts of steam. It's difficult to get a good look at the ground level due to the thick foliage, but Sureiya believes he can make out about three squat, metallic square structures near the base of the tower.

Suddenly, Asgorath reappears in his tiny dragon form, hovering near Sureiya and Torinn.

I hoped to never lay eyes upon that abominable machine again...


Sid starts enchanting the Staff of the Traveler, Bracelets of Brachiation, and Elixir of Chameleon Power.
>> No. 78391 edit
>>78390
The shaman helps craft, too. "We'll be starting at night, right?"
>> No. 78392 edit
The ranger stops his scouting through the eyeglass to ask the mini dragon, as if he were already used to its presence, "Back in Abeir, you saw this Tower before?"
>> No. 78393 edit
File 144523736036.png - (117.16KB , 256x256 , asgorath minion.png )
78393
The tiny dragon turns to face Torinn and Sureiya and elaborates briefly,

This construct was indeed born in that godless realm... a weapon against the dragons and the primordials...


As suddenly as the tiny dragon appeared, it again winks out of existence.
>> No. 78394 edit
Not used to the lack of manners of the god of creation, Sureiya shrugs in confusion and now addresses to the paladin.

"Maybe you could bring us a little closer? I'm seeing something near of the base of the tower."
>> No. 78395 edit
File 129490478099.png - (257.40KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p5.png )
78395
Torinn and Sureiya close slightly, but don't think they should get too close or risk being spotted. All Sureiya can tell is that there are three small structures near the base of the tower--but they don't appear to be of the same make as the tower itself. Perhaps a camp set up by the imperials around the tower?
>> No. 78396 edit
"Going any closer would be too risky, but I think I can see a camp close to the tower."
>> No. 78397 edit
Before Torinn can ask more about this 'weapon', Asgorath vanishes entirely. With nothing left to add, he orders Rutger to land.
>> No. 78398 edit
>>78393
The shaman peers up at the scouts. "...Is that Lord Asgorath?"
>> No. 78399 edit
Once the ranger and the paladin are back with the group, Sureiya gets down from the magical beast.

"I couldn't see much, but apparently they have a camp nearby the tower. Oh, and Asgorath appeared for a moment, apparently the tower was a machine built to fight dragons and primordials."
>> No. 78400 edit
>>78399
"The tower is a weapon? Mr. Silversprocket, is that what you were looking for? It seems they already have what they wanted, in that case."
>> No. 78401 edit
"If it can fight dragons, we have to get a hold of it."
>> No. 78402 edit
File 129948718465.jpg - (62.86KB , 400x456 , georgepeek.jpg )
78402
"Towers are hardly mobile fortresses, however. As I suspected, might the bulk of the structure be buried beneath the earth?"
>> No. 78403 edit
File 130320172546.png - (121.33KB , 700x700 )
78403
"Well, I'm as confused as you, but it sounds like it was built in Abeir, and Asgorath seemed annoyed to see it again" Sureiya talks again.
>> No. 78404 edit
Sid is about to ask what Sureiya means by "Asgorath says" when the tiny dragon suddenly appears next to the half-orc, startling the tinker gnome. It begins to speak,

The mechanical monstrosity and I have history, yes... in the final days before the Spellplague, I did battle with the Empire's creation... we fought for seven days and seven nights...


The tiny dragon vanishes, and reppears near Samel.

In his hubris did man seek to gather all forbidden knowledge within this great fortress...


It then teleports over to Sid, and the artificer gasps and stumbles backwards as the dragon says,

In his cowardice did man fashion the library into a world-rending weapon...


Finally, it disappears once more and appears near Myn.

And in his madness did he consort with that which sleeps beyond the stars...


With that, Asgorath floats back towards Sureiya, leaving Sid to stammer, "Great googly-moogly... did you say, Asgorath?!"
>> No. 78405 edit
File 150846626134.jpg - (27.18KB , 457x480 , georgestunnedatridiculousness.jpg )
78405
"Does he mean to imply something, I wonder."

With great effort, Myn forces his eyes to remain unnarrowed as he gestures to Sid.


"Indeed, this Mister Asgorath is mostly likely the one you are thinking of, a being of some renown. We came into contact while investigating the Well of Dragons."
>> No. 78406 edit
File 150767988661.jpg - (42.54KB , 960x540 , umineko-animu-kanon-on-the-phone.jpg )
78406
"Why these older gods cannot properly speak?" the ranger wonders, considering his manner of speech is not common of an orc, from having a human father.

"With that sleeps beyond the stars? Just who are the Empire, Sid? Are you sure it is worth to try to negotiate with people like them?" he asks, sounding somewhat frustrated.
>> No. 78407 edit
>>78404
Lost in his thoughts again, Samel finally snaps out and asks:
"I keep hearing the name Asgorath... that ...flying lizard can't possibly be The Asgorath, Creator of Dragonkind??"

Last edited at 17/10/20(Fri)15:36:10
>> No. 78408 edit
File 129910793379.png - (253.80KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p2.png )
78408
"Per-perhaps you'd best explain the deal with Asgorath to us... and I'll explain what I know about this machine," Sid manages to stammer out, before sighing in seeming resignation.

"This creation was a large-scale undertaking, as you could imagine... hells, you look at the outside, but it's actually bigger on the inside--like a bag of holding, kind of! From here it looks like a tower, and within it's about the size of a city! Of course, most of it is narrow crawlspaces and machinery, but still. This tower is one of its 'legs', so to speak. While I contributed much to the original design, I stopped working on the project after a time," Sid pauses to look to his comrades, then explains, "I was already... having doubts at that time. What I can say is that this reference to consorting with the Far Realms is certainly news to me! Such behavior was not generally tolerated in the Empire! With that said, the original engineers who started the project... Gordias, and his son Midas, were always a bit, ah, overambitious."

Thumping his chest, he adds, "Lots of people worked on this machine. The Empire contracted businesses in addition to well-regarded families within the military's command structure. My brilliant daughter, Mide, helped to bring the project to its realization... and didn't quit when I did. I..." His face falls slightly. "I still don't know what happened to her."

Shaking his head as if to shake off the cobwebs and refocus his attention, Sid announces loudly, "I don't know exactly what the machine is capable of, but I do know a lot about its power sources! If I could get inside the machine and reach the arm's power core--the Knot, in the shoulder--I could disable it, or alter it in some way. However, as you've probably guessed, due to its multi-dimensional nature, teleporting or phasing in through the exterior won't work. Only the access ports are designed to allow you to properly transition from the outside to the inside and vice-versa, attempting to force your way in would probably set you adrift in the Astral Plane!"

For its part, Asgorath flies a lazy circle over the ground, remaining silent.
>> No. 78409 edit
File 130025310010.png - (167.09KB , 477x355 , georgeahwell2.png )
78409
Myn seems to think that his previous explanation of Asgorath was sufficient.

"In that event, I suppose we can hardly expect Mister Sureiya to investigate alone. A tower is one thing, but he would surely be discovered sooner or later if he need search a city. More importantly, if Mister Sid is required to be present to untie this 'Knot', then we might be most effective in silencing any group that finds us, rather than hoping to avoid the full population within."

"I can avoid having to boil my dagger in water after lending it out as well."
>> No. 78410 edit
File 131760978037.png - (38.58KB , 151x204 )
78410
>>78407
"Please do not be rude, since Lord Asgorath remains the World-Shaper... regardless of looking like that," warns the shaman. "Though, Lord Asgorath's current state is most likely temporary."

>>78404
As the faithful, aspiring cleric (kind of) of Asgorath, the shaman and her Quickquill copies down Asgorath's words into a notebook specifically for recording stuff related to Asgorath. After that comes Sid's details on the machine, in her regular notes.

"Are you consorting with sleeping things, Mr. N?"
>> No. 78411 edit
File 129903782797.png - (7.94KB , 120x71 , georgepoint.png )
78411
>>78410

"I can hardly see how something sleeping might be consorted with, Miss Bernkastel."
>> No. 78412 edit
>>78411
"Maybe you first wake it up," suggests the shaman.
>> No. 78413 edit
File 13164172561.jpg - (37.52KB , 193x288 , georgeuguu.jpg )
78413
>>78412

"Then it would become an awake something, I suspect."
>> No. 78414 edit
File 129457034059.png - (8.75KB , 107x107 )
78414
>>78413
"Lord Asgorath called it madness. Maybe it's a bad idea to wake them up."

>>78408
"If teleportation won't work... we could still use the potions you mentioned, but we would need a different approach for entry. For now, perhaps we can limit our activities to the campsites? After that... Mr. Silversprocket, can you think of ways to sneak into the tower? Maybe by creating or hijacking an access point, or at least authorization? ...What happens if someone brings in a portable hole?"
>> No. 78415 edit
File 129757930295.png - (19.87KB , 200x200 , george_swimmingcutelylikedumbooctopus_ib4f.png )
78415
>>78414

"Perhaps the madness is in attempting to consort with the unconscious, rather."

"In any case, it's preferable to the Underdark."
>> No. 78416 edit
File 150856440569.png - (140.06KB , 486x367 , Umineko_Kanon.png )
78416
The ranger approaches Sid, and tries to explain.

"It's... complicated. But right now, Asgorath has a pact with Torinn, and the rest of the party. So, since they visited the Well of the Dragons we've been blessed with the occasional help and advice of the World Shaper."
>> No. 78417 edit
File 130466399513.jpg - (17.31KB , 167x225 , sid.jpg )
78417
"A... pact? I suppose asking whether or not that's wise is moot at this point," Sid muses, tilting his head. "That's rather... serendipitous that it has history with this machine, and just began to accompany you right before you came here!"

Continuing to muse on the matter, Sid adds, "I-is there any advice you can render unto us for this matter, Lord Asgorath?"

The tiny dragon regards Sid and replies,

I fear this machine has a part to play in the events to come... but what part it shall play depends upon thou and thine.


Sid scratches his head, as if unsure what to make of that reply.
>> No. 78418 edit
File 138147525082.png - (3.10KB , 41x41 )
78418
>>78417
"It's less our pact, and more Mr. Bahamut's, really."

The shaman scribbles into the Asgorath notes. "Maybe Lord Asgorath means we can use it to beat Ms. Tiamat."
>> No. 78419 edit
>>78418
"I would rather not rely on help that came from beyond the stars," Torinn murmurs. "Nothing good could come of using this massive... thing, if that's just one of its limbs."
>> No. 78420 edit
>>78419
Here, the shaman glances at Myn again.

"But it was made to fight dragons, among other things. Could it not be of use, since we'll be fighting dragons? Perhaps the involvement of sleeping things can be dealt with somehow."

Last edited at 17/10/21(Sat)14:43:47
>> No. 78421 edit
File 150862242535.png - (410B , 10x11 , disembodiedhandkun.png )
78421
>>78420

Perched on his shoulder, Myn's disembodied hand waves.
>> No. 78422 edit
File 130466399513.jpg - (17.31KB , 167x225 , sid.jpg )
78422
Sid scratches his head. "If I had access to the Knot, I could determine the extent of the Far Realm corruption. As I mentioned before, that part was unknown to me. It was certainly not a matter that came up when I was part of the machine's design!" Addressing the shaman directly, Sid answers, "Hijacking or creating an alternate access point... it's theoretically possible, I suppose, though highly impractical, we'd need access to the Knot for sure. As for the portable hole, the stabilization fields should prevent anything catastrophic occurring like with a bag of holding. Sneaking in... how possible that is depends on to what extent the Remnant forces have control of the machine! I doubt they have unlocked the Knot for their own use, but if they have, then they would be able to monitor our position anywhere on the arm itself! Without that, they'd need to rely on more conventional techniques for locating any invaders. It'd be difficult to sneak around the interior, given much of it is narrow passages, but not impossible!"
>> No. 78423 edit
>>78422
"Then, what if we destroyed some ports, and meddled with the repair process to create a back door?"
>> No. 78424 edit
File 130466399513.jpg - (17.31KB , 167x225 , sid.jpg )
78424
"Destroying the port could strand those inside, though the machine was designed to be self-sufficient. I have no idea if enough of the systems are still online to support a population inside the machine, but if so, it'd leave them in a good position to manipulate the machine from within. As for sabotaging or otherwise meddling with the repair process, we'd certainly need access to the Knot to do such a thing," Sid confirms.
>> No. 78425 edit
File 131657314532.png - (63.98KB , 216x163 )
78425
>>78424
"Could we trick the Knot's... Administrators? Into granting access from an insecure access port, thinking it's secure? Like, by introducing faulty parts to a maintenance or repair process, or subverting an Abeir person to request it for us."
>> No. 78426 edit
File 130466399513.jpg - (17.31KB , 167x225 , sid.jpg )
78426
Sid cocks his head at the shaman's request. "It's... not impossible... to what end, though? To evade detection? I couldn't guarantee that--who knows what security measures are inside the machine? It would also require a lot of time and luck--I must say it strikes me as highly impractical. Perhaps if you were more specific about what you wanted to do, I'd be able to give better suggestions." The tinker gnome gazes off in the direction of the tower. "I called you out there so I could get into that thing, but it seems to me like this planning is getting rather elaborate for marginal gain. We will need to deal with the Remnant one way or the other eventually, whether we want to utilize this thing or shut it down. I will defer to you of course on that matter, but it does seem to me like this is getting overly complex."
>> No. 78427 edit
File 150865030936.png - (19.97KB , 100x201 , d04c9e6bdd92e44f70efcdb1ff786066-d2lgo1c.png )
78427
The ranger listens to the strategic arguing and figures out he should give his input as well.

"Maybe I should go see the camp before we continue discussing our options. However, I might side with Sid this time, unless we try a diplomatic approach, any way to get inside that place is going to require a bloodbath..."

Last edited at 17/10/21(Sat)22:42:51
>> No. 78428 edit
>>78426
>>78427
The shaman sighs. "The reason I am opposed to diplomacy is that Mr. Silversprocket said any successful diplomacy would involve exposing his existence. Do you not think that once the Abeirians are aware that a means to control their machine exists, they would become much more motivated to obtain these means? On the other hand, if they do not know about Mr. Silversprocket, then not only will they be unaware that a person who can understand the machinery and turn it against them exists, meaning they will be less on guard about such threats, but they will also be without a miracle solution to their problems. Once they face sufficient setbacks, they will become less motivated to continue their pursuit, perhaps even giving up in time. If they begin allocating less resources to these machines, then there would be further opportunities to do as we wish."

Last edited at 17/10/21(Sat)22:46:36
>> No. 78429 edit
File 150865188310.jpg - (326.72KB , 595x845 , Kanon_(Umineko)_full_432136.jpg )
78429
The ranger listens to the shaman, and prepares his response.

"I believe your argument assumes the Empire won't be able to hold on the weapon without Sid's expertise? If there are more of the engineers who worked on it, especially on the Far Realm nonsense, I'm sure they only need some time to be able to get it working again. With Sid, or without him."
>> No. 78430 edit
>>78429
The shaman nods. "That is why I mentioned setbacks, which will serve as additional discouragements and obstacles."
>> No. 78431 edit
File 130320172546.png - (121.33KB , 700x700 )
78431
"Hmm... we shouldn't stay here for too many days, or weeks though. We have other responsibilities. I think we should also consider how much time it would be wise to spend on this mission." Sureiya says, confused on what to do.

"In any case, maybe scouting the camp and the Tower from close could help us. Samel, could you please begin casting the ritual again?"

Last edited at 17/10/21(Sat)23:16:04
>> No. 78432 edit
File 15086558813.png - (465.38KB , 728x940 , George_plays_DnD_ib4f.png )
78432
>>78431

"We may as well accompany Mister Sureiya on his expedition after all. I believe we should simply strike towards the Knot with as much force as possible, eliminating sentries and the like before they have a chance to alert the bulk of the enemy. If we fail in the latter objective, it is likely better to press forward and attempt to sabotage it before they are able to mount an effective counterattack. Considering the size of the interior, even if we are unable to retreat immediately, we will likely be in a position to hide somewhere until an opportunity to exit presents itself."

Myn's tone seems to show a pointed disregard for the possibility of the enemy posing a threat.

"In the worst case, an additional option is open to us. We may profess to offer up Mister Sid, claiming that he had deceived us into attacking the Imperials under false pretenses. Afterwards, having entered their good graces, we may utilize the situation to save Mister Sid and retreat, or complete our objective if we had not already."
>> No. 78433 edit
File 129909998322.png - (255.05KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p3.png )
78433
"Ma'am, I think you underestimate me quite a bit," Sid says in slight indignation in response to the shaman's declarations. "Much of what will happen depends on who is in charge of this expedition--but I have escaped from their notice before and I can do so again! Furthermore, the Aberians would not have had such a strong empire were they so easily deterred. I know them quite well, and to be frank, I know them and how they will react much better than you, so you would be wise to give my advice due consideration! A few setbacks and sabotage will not stop them. Perhaps it is risky to expose myself to them, but that risk is mine to take and I would knowingly take it for something as important as this! The Remnant does not have the manpower to organize a realm-wide hunt for a gnome that doesn't want to be found or taken in; if I was sheltered in Waterdeep or another such large city by the Lord's Alliance or another such group, they would not be able to get to me."
>> No. 78434 edit
File 15078555941.jpg - (21.39KB , 440x246 , 123123123123.jpg )
78434
"I don't think the shaman is underestimating your skills, Sid. Rather I think she's just worried of how well our attempt at diplomacy can go without a good plan, and probably the same for a direct assault. To be honest, both plans have several problems.

In any case, I still want to take a look. Maybe then we can tell if assaulting them, as Myn says can be a viable alternative."
>> No. 78435 edit
>>78431
"Immediately, Mister Sureiya."
As soon as we all agree, Casts ghost walk (17) 4rp left

Last edited at 17/10/22(Sun)18:04:46
>> No. 78436 edit
File 129910793379.png - (253.80KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p2.png )
78436
With the aid of Samel's ritual making him ghostly and his other magical enhancements, Sureiya begins to stalk through the forest in the direction of the tower. It takes quite a while, but Sureiya is starting to see the outline of the metal structures around the base of the tower through the foliage--and there appears to be humanoid movement as well.

Now would be a good time for Sureiya to make his stealth check and describe how he wants to go about this.
>> No. 78438 edit
File 150874316397.png - (42.47KB , 272x264 , walkies.png )
78438
Still wearing the ugly cultist clothes and mask, after finally getting close enough to take a look with his spyglass, Sureiya hides behind any nearby obstacle there is in the surroundings and takes a good look with his magical spyglass.

Stealth: 26 https://orokos.com/roll/561371
Perception: 29 https://orokos.com/roll/561374


Last edited at 17/10/23(Mon)00:22:51
>> No. 78439 edit
File 130101422990.png - (318.54KB , 486x800 , 11125426_p1.png )
78439
What Sureiya is observing appears to be a large clearing in the surrounding forest--perhaps not entirely natural, as there is some evidence in the form of tree stumps and fallen trees that the area was carved out artificially. Nevertheless, at the base of the tower is a relatively small hatch that protrudes from a large circular metal part of the fortress--the hatch itself is about fifteen feet in diameter, though the circular portion of metal that it is set inside is about forty feet in diameter. Surrounding the hatch are two of the rectangular metal buildings, decorated on the outside with little more than metal gates that seem to serve as doorways and small windows dotting the edge of the structure, high above the ground. There is a path through the forest that leads directly to the third rectangular structure. This structure has two armored soldiers out front guarding it, while the other assorted humanoids wandering the grounds appear to be a mix of less-armored humanoids and what appear to be support personnel--technicians by the look of them. Interestingly, all of the technicians appear to be goblins.
>> No. 78440 edit
"Fine... so that should be one of the entrances." the ranger whispers to himself. Then still hiding in the forest, Sureiya walks toward the west, looking to see the other side of the tower.

Stealth: (29) https://orokos.com/roll/561539
>> No. 78441 edit
Sureiya circles the tower, and notices that while the forest is clear for a short distance around the immediate vicinity of the tower, there are no additional buildings or personnel around the other sides of the tower. There also appear to be no other hatches that look like they could be used to gain entry, though the technology is unfamiliar to Sureiya so he cannot be certain of such things.
>> No. 78442 edit
File 150880213279.png - (341.32KB , 2028x1346 , Screen Shot 2017-10-23 at 4_34_10 PM.png )
78442
BGM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiPon8lr48U

Identifying the side at the north area as the safest one, the ranger hides behind the structure of the tower and crawls as close as he can to the metal structure the soldiers guard. Then, he takes again his spyglass, and stays silent and does his best to listen to any sound or conversation around him.

Stealth (27)
Perception for hearing (29) Perception for seeing (32 with spyglass)


Last edited at 17/10/23(Mon)17:45:58
>> No. 78443 edit
File 129490478099.png - (257.40KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p5.png )
78443
Maneuvering around the side of the building, Sureiya gets quite close to the humanoids roaming the area with minimal chance of being discovered--at least, given how inattentive many in the camp seem to be. There's not a lot of idle conversation going around, but he does overhear a report that someone called "Tribunus Bluehand" should be returning from inside the machine in about an hour's time, and the personnel on-site should be prepared for that. They also seem to be referring to the tower as "Gordias".
>> No. 78444 edit
File 150784803623.jpg - (37.61KB , 500x500 , 234234234.jpg )
78444
Figuring out the boring soldiers won't give any other relevant information, the ranger confirms again how many enemies he sees guarding each structure, the ranger carefully returns with the rest of the adventurers, silent like a shadow, leaving absolutely no track of his scouting in the way back. Once he meets the rest, he informs them of the relevant information from his scout.

Report:
Each metal structure is well guarded, by three or two soldiers. The second and the third structure also are accompanied by two or three goblin technicians.
The tower, called Gordias, appears to have a single entry point, next to the metal structures.
An individual refered as "Tribunus Bluehand" will come out from the tower in about an hour.


Last edited at 17/10/24(Tue)10:54:48
>> No. 78445 edit
At Sureiya's report, Sid's hand goes to his chin and he seems deep in thought as he mutters, "Interesting... interesting..." Pounding his hand into his fist, Sid exclaims, "Well! If Tribunus Bluehand--Tribunus is his rank, you understand--is in charge at this location, that certainly means this camp's goals are research-oriented. That makes negotiation more likely. Furthermore, he has a strong rivalry with me! He always wanted to prove himself and his inventions better than I and mine! He would never order me captured in order to advance this project--he'll want the credit for it. That gives us some leverage, I imagine... as long as we watch our backs! He's the conniving sort, but he'll know this is a fight he can't win!"
>> No. 78446 edit
File 150890140873.png - (109.87KB , 356x442 , ab2_0_ib4f.png )
78446
>>78445

"I suppose that does open an avenue for diplomacy, Mister Sid. If we can make contact with this Mister Tribunus, we may well persuade him to escort us into the tower, and quietly at that. Once inside, we can simply subdue him and make for the Knot."

Myn seems to have ignored the rank-name distinction Sid supplied.

"Considering that those within would likely be unaware of our presence, it may even be possible to proceed unopposed. I should think the use of disguise would be beneficial at that point, although I should wonder if merely appropriating their clothing would be sufficient."
>> No. 78447 edit
"You think you can impersonate their leader? But what if it is a gnome or a goblin like the technicians?", Sureiya mutters.
>> No. 78448 edit
File 150896715359.png - (134.67KB , 453x465 , antibattler.png )
78448
>>78447

"Simply appropriating the uniforms is sure to provide some benefit, although I would welcome other suggestions."
>> No. 78449 edit
File 129910793379.png - (253.80KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p2.png )
78449
"Tribunus Bluehand is a goblin, indeed," Sid confirms, seemingly deep in thought. "Impersonating him would be difficult, but not impossible... perhaps there's a solution in a potion or something to that effect..."
>> No. 78450 edit
File 131554170954.png - (114.98KB , 385x351 )
78450
>>78433
>>78444
>>78449
"I see. I apologize if you actually had specifics in mind, Mr. Silversprocket. Then, could you tell us how to deal with this Bluehand?"
>> No. 78451 edit
"What should we do then? Approach the area and let Sid ask for this Bluehand-whatever? Definitely, breaking into this Knot should be easier if we're already inside this tech-city" the ranger says.
>> No. 78452 edit
File 130466399513.jpg - (17.31KB , 167x225 , sid.jpg )
78452
"Well, here's how I imagine it going down," Sid says in a conversational tone. "If I approach the tribunus, he'll probably not want to let us in at first. But if I convince him that I can help get this machine up and running, I can bait him into trying to let me do so--with the intent of betraying me later, of course. But we'll be the ones flipping it on him instead, with sabotage!" Pounding a fist into his hand, the gnome elaborates, "I just need access to the Knot to power this thing down, or otherwise turn it against the Remnant. I know I can figure it out once I'm inside. And Bluehand won't be able to stop us from going in if we want to, and I think he knows that. But if we try to brute force our way in he'll have to try, so that's why we'll give him a reason not to. He'll try to take us by surprise, but we'll be ready for him. Hopefully, we can get in and out before he even has a chance to turn the tables on us!"

Considering for a moment, he adds, "I can even propose an alliance between us against the Cult of the Dragon. The way Bluehand sees it, if I get the machine running again for use against the dragons, he can try to do away with us and take all the credit." His face serious for a moment, he adds, "But as with any plan, we'll need to be ready for complications. I'll need to convince Bluehand of my sincerity, but with the threat of the Cult of the Dragon as a mutual incentive, it shouldn't be too difficult. He knows of my skills, so it'll be very, very tempting to try and make use of me for his own gain, even if he couldn't take credit for it." Looking to the rest of the party, he adds, "And of course, with you folks with me, coercion is out of the question. He can't force me to do it and he knows it. The sooner he gets this machine online, the sooner he can take the credit for it and report success to his commander."

Shrugging slightly, he adds, "I just... those conscripts outside might as well be victims of the Remnant, and I'd rather not slaughter them out of hand. And despite the militaristic bent of the Imperial Remnant, they're not the kind to attack on sight without even the possibility of negotiation. If things fall apart, I'm certain with your help, we can work something out."
>> No. 78453 edit
"That sounds quite better" the ranger says. "Particularly the idea of using the cult of the dragon."

Then, he removes the ugly robe and mask, and keeps them inside his bag.

"What do you think? Should we go now?"
>> No. 78454 edit
File 130025406583.png - (274.76KB , 450x505 , 7cc87a22f161e1c7c22ab87ec226ac8b.png )
78454
>>78453

"Surely we can spare the time required to produce the potion solution Mister Sid mentioned, at least. Impersonating a leader would provide quite the advantage once inside."

The disembodied hand flops around with its palm up, as if asking to be handed something.
>> No. 78455 edit
File 150921580331.png - (105.33KB , 256x256 , bluehand.png )
78455
Sid continues his work on a potion of mimicry at Myn's request, and finishes is in about half an hour. Nodding, the gnome seems satisfied at the preparations, and says, "Well then, let's be off!" Asgorath winks out of existence, as he is wont to do, as the group begins moving.

Sid leads the group directly up the road, towards the imperial soldiers guarding the building the closest metal building. Once you get close, the two soldiers draw their gunblades and grip them tightly, walking forward. The one on the left commands in a feminine voice, "Halt!" Looking the group over, she seems momentarily taken aback by the party's odd composition, and adds, "You cannot be here. Turn back now."

"You're human, Sid notes loudly, addressing the soldier. "You probably weren't born when I was still working with the Remnant. So you might not recognize my face, but certain you've heard the name Sid?"

"Pssh-tock... Sid Sturmgust, formerly the Empire's topmost engineer," comes a high-pitched, metallic voice from around the west side of the building. The group turns in that direction to see several armored goblins approaching. "Yes, I know this uplander well. I suppose I should warm-welcome the Sturmgust back to the project he never saw the end-complete of."

Sid looks directly at the goblin who spoke--while all of the goblins are wearing heavy plate, the one who is talking has a rather unique helmet, with what appears to almost be a half-cylinder of a faceplate with smaller, glowing yellow eye and one larger, glowing red eye. At his side is a rather conspicuous-looking book with a metallic cover and strange designs upon it that are difficult to make out from a distance. While the other armored goblins have their gunblades in hand, this one still hasn't drawn his. "Tribunus Bluehand... I hadn't thought you to be expected yet!"

All of the goblin's helmets appear to loosely be shaped like breathing masks with only their green ears protruding from the sides, and as a result, Bluehand's response appears to be preceded by the sound of metallic breathing from behind the mask. "Sssh-thock... Sturmgust underestimates Bluehand once again, this is not a shock-truth. No matter. I suppose Sturmgust also thinks I don't know why he's here, but the Enigma Codex pre-sees all." The goblin gingerly pats the book strapped to his side, which seems to emit a soft glow at his touch which suggests the book is magical--powerfully so. "And yet it is also ink-spilt that Sid knows the machine even better than he past-ponders, and will find great truth inside. So we welcome your brain-fruit on this matter, Sid Sturmgust."

The gnome seems momentarily taken aback by this highly unusual response.
>> No. 78456 edit
File 150758011862.jpg - (28.09KB , 400x400 )
78456
The ranger remains silent as he observes the exchange between the rival shorties. Still, he throws a few glances to the blue whatever and the other soldiers, trying to figure out how strong they are.
>> No. 78457 edit
File 150923827988.jpg - (6.43KB , 186x37 , metasmirkblankbleakzoom.jpg )
78457
Myn throws no glances to whatevers of any color, although he does wonder what 'pre-seeing' entails. Luckily, he's an expert on Enigma Codexes.

"If he knew we were coming, this may be quite the short murder attempt."


(Arcana) codex lore: 33

Last edited at 17/10/28(Sat)20:10:38
>> No. 78458 edit
File 13130729274.png - (4.14KB , 89x114 )
78458
>>78455
Mr. Silversprocket worked with them that long ago? ...Did goblins live longer than humans? That book...

The shaman glances at Myn, also looking at the book.


Arcana for Enigma Codex (24) https://orokos.com/roll/563153
>> No. 78459 edit
File 129490478099.png - (257.40KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p5.png )
78459
Sureiya suspects that the goblin soldiers, while reasonably capable combatants, shouldn't pose more than a minor challenge for adventurers of your stature.

Codex Lore: (Both) This is certainly a very powerful magic item of some sort, though its exact nature you can only begin to guess at. The nature of the enchantment is like something the shaman has never seen before, suggesting that the item may be unique in some way or otherwise very rare.

(Myn) The nature of the power is somehow familiar to you. It gives you the same sort of feeling you get from your Star Pact patron.
>> No. 78460 edit
Torinn racks his brain about the mysterious codex.

History: 14
>> No. 78461 edit
File 129910793379.png - (253.80KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p2.png )
78461
Unfortunately, Torinn's never heard of anything of this sort.

"Yes, well... I know the Rem--the Empire must be aware of the recent activities of the Cult of the Dragon," Sid manages. "It would be in both of our interests to see them stopped--the Lords' Alliance is already mustering for an organized opposition! While I know you'd never consent to joining their effort, I see no reason to work against one another for the benefit of the cult."

"Psssh-thock. We could brain-wring such a busy-deal. However, the sentry-guard bots inside have gone scramble-wire. Our team is not well equip-readied to deal with them, but yours..." the armored goblin's head scans over the adventurers standing by Sid's side. "You uplanders could make-peace them. Clear the long-step to the Knot, and we work joined-up. As show-piece of good faith..." Bluehand turns to one of the human soldiers and announces, "Shkohhh! Make prep-times to out-clear! We make to scuttle the base! All not-gobbie uplanders announce-back to the legatus."

The armored human seems taken aback by this, but gives an unsteady nod. She then turns, and the other taller humanoid solder with her set out and begin issuing orders to the conscripts. "Really? Just like that?!" Sid stammers in disbelief.

Turning back to Sid, the tribunus Bluehand replies, "Pssshtokh. Sturmgust holds the true-key to unlocking power of project Alexander. So reads the Enigma Codex. The gobbieflock stands ready-set to helping-hand."
>> No. 78462 edit
File 130021757977.jpg - (24.18KB , 162x159 , georgeserious.jpg )
78462
>>78461

"A smooth discussion with an enemy is one that plays into his hands."

"My apologies, Mister Tribunus, but I must interject here. While your show of good faith is appreciated, it is difficult to proceed into an unknown structure and to combat an unfamiliar force merely with such a showing. Should this machine be completed, even if the Cult of the Dragon were to be stopped, would the Empire not benefit to an excessively greater degree than the Lord's Alliance? Thus, I feel the need to ask for some concessions before we proceed inside.

Firstly, I would ask that you explain this Enigma Codex you appear to carry. It seems to provide you with some form of information, but providing it to us as well would be a simple way to increase the incentive for our side in this transaction. Secondly, lest this be a ruse to apprehend Mister Sid so that he may be used to complete the work here on your terms, I would ask that you alone accompany us on our way to the Knot. Naturally, as it is a simple form of insurance, you need not fight alongside us."

Use Knack for Success (+4 to next skill check).
(Diplomacy): 34

>> No. 78463 edit
File 150921580331.png - (105.33KB , 256x256 , bluehand.png )
78463
The metal-headed goblin turns to Myn as if noticing the warlock for the first time. "Sssshctock... uplander has many ask-talks. The Enigma Codex is an awe-fruit of project Alexander. A joyous mistake-made. A tome knowing all that is, was, and will be." Suddenly, the goblin pulls the book from his belt, and holds it with both hands, flipping it open in front of him. You can see clearly now the book's cover, which is jet-black and covered in strange, white glyphs. "I found-claimed the tome upon arrival in Toril, thirty years past-time. With it, Bluehand gobbies path-find here, to finish the job." Closing the book and tucking it under his arm, the goblin adds, "If it is uplander's true-wish that Bluehand join-hands to secret-enter Gordias, then I accept. Pssshtock."
>> No. 78464 edit
File 130022277330.jpg - (32.67KB , 155x253 , georgeehehe.jpg )
78464
>>78463

"One would think that a book holding all knowledge would be somewhat larger. Would it not have warned you of the scramble-wiring you mentioned earlier?"
>> No. 78465 edit
File 129910793379.png - (253.80KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p2.png )
78465
"Gobbies know. But it took place prior-of gobbies found the Enigma Codex." Holding up a finger as if to make a point, the goblin elaborates, "Shhhthock. Gobbies find Codex when came to Toril. By then, machines already gone mad. Gobbies come, because know solution is here." Bluehand spreads his hands, as if that explains everything.

"You're saying you knew I'd come, with powerful allies?" Sid asks uneasily, prompting a simple nod from the goblin.
>> No. 78466 edit
File 150865188310.jpg - (326.72KB , 595x845 , Kanon_(Umineko)_full_432136.jpg )
78466
Sureiya who had been trying to read the Goblin's intention, decides to finally speaks up.

"So, I heard there's a whole city inside of there. Are those out of control robots everywhere waiting for us?"
Insight on Bluehand (24)
Rolling on behalf of Bern too (22) https://orokos.com/roll/563510

>> No. 78467 edit
>>78465
The shaman glances at Sid, wondering how the book came to learn things it shouldn't know.

Meanwhile, the smaller spirit shimmers into being behind Bluehand, and tries poking the goblin. To see if he's real, of course.

>> No. 78468 edit
File 129910793379.png - (253.80KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p2.png )
78468
Insight results: You sense that the tribunus is at least sincere in agreeing to accompany you inside. Anything else about him is inscrutable, however.

The goblin seems unnerved at the spirit poking at him, and takes a few steps away from it--though the spirit does confirm that the goblin is, at least, corporeal. "Gordias does not contain city-scape, mostly whirly-gigs and crawly-tunnels. City-scape in Midas. We fight the crazy-bots on path to Knot," the goblin replies to Sureiya's inquiries.

Sid still seems nervous, but seems to have recovered from his original disquiet. "Well then! It seems we have an arrangement. Was there anything else...?" He glances at the adventurers accompanying him.
>> No. 78469 edit
File 131347196511.jpg - (34.30KB , 265x192 )
78469
>>78468
"Midas? ...Gordias? Were they not people names?"
>> No. 78470 edit
File 129739756694.png - (7.42KB , 124x105 , georgedoyo.png )
78470
"Mister Tribunus has allayed my concerns for the moment. We may proceed at your leisure."
>> No. 78471 edit
File 129490478099.png - (257.40KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p5.png )
78471
Sid explains briefly, "Yes, the arm sections of the robots were named for the engineers who came up with the initial designs, Gordias and Midas."
>> No. 78472 edit
File 13130729274.png - (4.14KB , 89x114 )
78472
>>78471
"Do you also have a part named after you, Mr. Silversprocket? ...Mr. ...Sturmgust?" The shaman seems unsure what to call him.
>> No. 78473 edit
File 130466399513.jpg - (17.31KB , 167x225 , sid.jpg )
78473
Sid shakes his head. "I do not, no. My involvement came later in the development."
>> No. 78476 edit
File 129910793379.png - (253.80KB , 494x478 , 11125426_p2.png )
78476
Next thread! >>78475
[Return] [Entire Thread] [Last 50 posts] [First 100 posts]


Delete post []
Password  
Report post
Reason